Hey guys im a bit of a customizing nub and i wanted to know if its possible to take my crappy 6 string out of the box fender and some how turn it into a seven string. I'm planning on investing in obviously a new neck preferably 24 frets and i would want to have a 7 string floating bridge rather then a set neck so anyone wanna pint me in the right direction here or atleast gimme a heads up if its possible or not thanks in advance guys
Epi les paul custom Dimebuckers & Duncan Distortion
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Strat with Floyd Rose Tremolo 2 stock single coil & humbucker pups
Fender Chorus Amp
Well it is possible but you might as well just buy a 7 string.

You are talking about widening the neck cavity, routing both sides of the guitar for the bigger bridge, and widening the pickup cavities.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
that probably wouldnt work, because of different scale lengths, neck joints, pickups etc, would be easier just to buy a seven string
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Well, it's possible and it sounds like a fun idea. Let us know if you're gonna actually do it. I want to see this.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
I'm no fan of Strats but I wouldn'r risk such total destruction on one. There's a nice youtube vid/demo of an H&S 7 around. Pity they have gone 'cos they were great value.
its not a real strat its a gay ass out of the box fender starcaster i just have a piece of wood i can work with and get creative with lol like i basically got this guitar as my starter and yeah i just wanna have fun with it since i kinda got another 2 guitars to replace it and ive really wanted to have a seven string but i would also want to use this as a learning experience to learn more on knowing how to do all the handy work put into making a guitar
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp
I wouldn't bother; an easier way to do things is to use www.Warmoth.com and buy stuff from them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Noob_Cakes12
ive really wanted to have a seven string but i would also want to use this as a learning experience to learn more on knowing how to do all the handy work put into making a guitar

Well you have the skills to convert a 6 string to a 7 string you might as well just buy a 7 string neck and build a 7 string body for it from the start.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Noob_Cakes12
its not a real strat its a gay ass out of the box fender starcaster i just have a piece of wood i can work with and get creative with lol like i basically got this guitar as my starter and yeah i just wanna have fun with it since i kinda got another 2 guitars to replace it and ive really wanted to have a seven string but i would also want to use this as a learning experience to learn more on knowing how to do all the handy work put into making a guitar
what of this guitar can you keep?
1 - you're replacing the neck, so that's out.
2 - tuners? nope. you only have six and they're crappy. find another one to match and you have 7 crappy tuners. you'll want to buy a new set.
3 - bridge/trem? nope. you won't be able to convert a 6 to a 7. you'll need a new one.
4 - pickups? nope. the pickups you have will be too narrow to cover 7 strings and the pole pieces won't line up. besides, they're crappy anyway. you'll need new pickups.
5 - controls and selector? maybe. but the quality of those on a Starcaster will probably be crap. might just as well replace them while you have it apart. save yourself headaches down the road.
6 - Pickguard? maybe. but you'll need to modify the one you have for the larger pickups and wider neck. pickguards are not that expensive. just buy new i think.
7 - output jack? nope. it's almost certainly poor quality. you'll want to replace it, although you could keep the jack plate.
8 - strap buttons? maybe. but why not put some straplocks on? you'll have a lot of time and effort into this, not to mention the dough for new neck and all the other parts. why risk damage to your work by having the strap fall off and your nice hand built guitar crash to the floor?

so let's see where we are so far ...

New neck.
New tuners.
New trem/bridge.
New pickups.
... those are the expensive bits.
New output jack.

Old controls/selector
Old pickguard
Old strap buttons.
Old jack plate.
... each of these could be of much higher quality if bought new.
and none of them are very expensive.

that leaves us with the BODY.

you'll need to:
- route the neck pocket.
- route the trem opening
- route pickup openings (larger pickups)

You aren't saving all that much over starting with a slab of wood and making your own body. and you did say you wanted to learn "how to do all the handy work put into making a guitar". here's your chance.

Could you use this body to build a 7? Yes. But it will take a bit of work.
Should you use this body to build a 7? I don't think so. Do you?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
well guys thanks for the input i just wanted to no if it was possible to do but all the info you guys have thrown at me is a great help thanks a bunch
Boss ME 50 multi effects
Dime Distortion
Fender Chorus Amp