I'm replacing the pickups in my Epiphone LP, either to a set of
Duncan Blackouts ($173)
Duncan Distortion/Jazz combo ($145)
. I use a Peavey Vypyr 75 (no, don't tell me to replace it). I play mainly Metal but I like cleans too, and I play some blues/hard rock as well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well I have a set of duncans in one of mine and I really like them - I got the Screamin Demon in Bridge and Jazz in the neck, very good combo

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
be all fancy and do a blackout bridge with a jazz neck
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
be all fancy and do a blackout bridge with a jazz neck

thats actually a good idea
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Quote by Guitarfanatic93
thats actually a good idea

thanks

i have an emg 81 bridge and a jazz neck in my viper and i love the versatility.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I'm not too keen on mixing actives and passives really.

Also, the set, does it come with 2 or 4 pots?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
I'm not too keen on mixing actives and passives really.

+1

ide go blackouts, but i heard they give you more noise then anything
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
What the hell do you mean don't tell you to change your amp, the centre of your entire tone?
And if you're not going to change it, why the hell are you getting high output pickups?
They're made to drive TUBE amps. You know, VALVE amplifiers.
Don't change to high output pickups unless you have a tube amp. It'll sound absolutely crap, because instead of preamp distortion, you'll get transistor clipping, and that's NOT a good sound.
I just bought it, that's what I mean. And no, I've not heard anything bad about them distorting or anything.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You're using a solid state amp... first off, swapping pickups won't make enough of a change in your tone to be worth the cost - SS circuitry doesn't respond to pickups in the same manner as tube circuitry does.

Second, active pickups are designed to push already overdriven tube amps harder. When using them with a SS amp they will try to push the SS circuitry harder which will result in very bad tone.

I'm one of those people who always tries to stick to the thread starter's original question and not recommend something completely different, but in your case you really need to think about getting a tube amp before you consider switching your pickups.
IT'S FINAL I JUST BOUGHT MY AMP I DON'T REALLY FEEL LIKE RETURNING IT AS I LIKE IT. I TRIED IT WITH EMG'S AND DUNCAN DESIGNED BLACKOUTS; NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. OK? ok. I don't have unlimited funds; I don't want a VK112. I don't want a Bugera a B-52 or a Randall. No, I'm not looking used.

This argument is OVER.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You're using a solid state amp... first off, swapping pickups won't make enough of a change in your tone to be worth the cost - SS circuitry doesn't respond to pickups in the same manner as tube circuitry does.

Second, active pickups are designed to push already overdriven tube amps harder. When using them with a SS amp they will try to push the SS circuitry harder which will result in very bad tone.

I'm one of those people who always tries to stick to the thread starter's original question and not recommend something completely different, but in your case you really need to think about getting a tube amp before you consider switching your pickups.

Yeah, what he said.
Which is what I said.
We're right, you know.

Edit:
You don't get it do you? High output pickups will make your sound a HELL of a lot worse through a Vypyr, ESPECIALLY actives. There's no arguing with this, the next thing you change should be your amp, even if you don't do it for a while. There's very little you can do to improve your tone through a modelling amp, so just save the money.
Quote by oneblackened
IT'S FINAL I JUST BOUGHT MY AMP I DON'T REALLY FEEL LIKE RETURNING IT AS I LIKE IT. I TRIED IT WITH EMG'S AND DUNCAN DESIGNED BLACKOUTS; NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. OK? ok. I don't have unlimited funds; I don't want a VK112. I don't want a Bugera a B-52 or a Randall. No, I'm not looking used.

This argument is OVER.

Alright then. Continue to be arrogant and narrow-minded.

I'm done trying to help people who don't want to accept the truth.

Oh... and have fun with your ****ty tone.
If you like your tone already, why would you need new pickups?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
I have yucko muddy epiphone pickups... that's why.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I'd go for the distortion/jazz set then, or maybe a JB in the bridge. Although I agree with the others that it won't make much difference with that amp
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
I'd go Blackouts. I'm gonna put EMG 81/85 on my Epi SG though.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Dimarzio Breeds.

I'll consider that, thanks for being helpful Azrael.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Rock Pig
What the hell do you mean don't tell you to change your amp, the centre of your entire tone?
And if you're not going to change it, why the hell are you getting high output pickups?
They're made to drive TUBE amps. You know, VALVE amplifiers.
Don't change to high output pickups unless you have a tube amp. It'll sound absolutely crap, because instead of preamp distortion, you'll get transistor clipping, and that's NOT a good sound.

if your going to be a dick, you should at least make sense.
both solid state amps and tube amps have preamps, so it would still give you preamp distortion.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
both solid state amps and tube amps have preamps, so it would still give you preamp distortion.

wow finally someone defends me...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
wow finally someone defends me...

however i must say, i think passive pickups will still do you best.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man

No you idiot. High output pickups are designed to drive the TUBES in a TUBE preamp. If you try the same thing with a transistor preamp, it clips. And that is NOT GOOD.

The only SS amps you can drive with high output pickups are hybrids with valve preamp stages. Does the Vypyr have one of those? No.
Quote by Rock Pig
No you idiot. High output pickups are designed to drive the TUBES in a TUBE preamp. If you try the same thing with a transistor preamp, it clips. And that is NOT GOOD.

The only SS amps you can drive with high output pickups are hybrids with valve preamp stages. Does the Vypyr have one of those? No.

He's right.

But what your saying is you like your tone, but you need new pickups

Or do you like the amp, but not what's on your guitar? Listen, we're trying to help, if you don't want to listen its fine. But make sure you REALLY REALLY like whatever you buy. Those Vypyrs are nice amps for the price. i Just don't think they'll work nice with actives.
meh
i think your wasting money on pickups,
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by get ta led out!
He's right.

But what your saying is you like your tone, but you need new pickups

Or do you like the amp, but not what's on your guitar? Listen, we're trying to help, if you don't want to listen its fine. But make sure you REALLY REALLY like whatever you buy. Those Vypyrs are nice amps for the price. i Just don't think they'll work nice with actives.

Oh I like my general tone, but I'd like a little more bite; yeah, I'll probably go passive.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden