So my strat got a liiiiiittle fret buzz on the low E an A string. Nothing you'd hear through an amp and my guitar teacher said I'm crazy already, but it annoys the hell out of me.
I've been told that thicker strings have smaller amplitudes than thin ones, thus making fret buzz less likely. It sounds logical to me, but I didn't want to waste another 7€ on strings (that's half a crate of beer, dammit!) before having some confirmation.

So, is it true? Will thick strings help? I'm using .09s currently and am considering to get some .11s.

By the way, I actually did set up my guitar. The action is low (and setting it any higher is not an option for me) and the neck bow is just right (checked everything twice before posting).
Quote by TheQuailman
So my strat got a liiiiiittle fret buzz on the low E an A string. Nothing you'd hear through an amp and my guitar teacher said I'm crazy already, but it annoys the hell out of me.
I've been told that thicker strings have smaller amplitudes than thin ones, thus making fret buzz less likely. It sounds logical to me, but I didn't want to waste another 7€ on strings (that's half a crate of beer, dammit!) before having some confirmation.

So, is it true? Will thick strings help? I'm using .09s currently and am considering to get some .11s.

By the way, I actually did set up my guitar. The action is low (and setting it any higher is not an option for me) and the neck bow is just right (checked everything twice before posting).

What tuning are you in, because if your in standard and set up properly it shouldn't buzz. But if your using .09's in drop c it can't help but buzz.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
What tuning are you in, because if your in standard and set up properly it shouldn't buzz. But if your using .09's in drop c it can't help but buzz.

Higher gauge strings do generally cause less buzz because they have to be at a greater tension to get the same note.

That said, your guitar was set up for 9's. Theres a good chance that putting 11's on there are going to require another setup to get the low action you want and you will definately have to intone your guitar again.
i wouldnt change string gauges just to get rid of a little buzz. you obviously have your guitar set up how you like it and changing string gauge would affect the feel more than raising the action a tad.

actually unless you have a really good guitar, you're almost always certain to have a little buzz with low action. like you say, not enough to hear plugged in but enough to piss you off unplugged.
1. I use the guitar in E standard, so the strings aren't sloppy or anything.
2. Yeah, I know I'll need to set it up again, but that's not a problem really.
3. I'm used to thicker strings actually, so the change of feel isn't really a problem.

Thanks everybody, I'm gonna get some 0.11s and see how things work out.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 28, 2008,