Hello all, I've been playing guitar for about 2 weeks now, but I'm still running into the same problems as in my first days. Whenever I'm fretting a string I'm almost always muting the string below that one. It's very annoying cause nothing sounds right. I'm pretty sure it's my hand placement. I've tried adjusting it by placing my thumb in the centre of the backwood, but it still doesn't sound right.

I have a feeling I have messed up hands =-/ I can't seem to position them right.

Any help?
Don't expect too much after two weeks. The key to solving your problem is just practice, practice and more practice...
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
Agree, i had this problem during the first few weeks too. Specially when playing chords Place your thumb on the back of the neck and curl your fingers so that they hit the strings vertically. It will be uncomfortable for some time ... Practice!
Use your finger tip, practice as slowly as you need to get a good tone from each note.
practice, practice, practice. The little things are very important. If you get in the habit of placing your thumb on the fret board where its more comfortable, it will come back to bite you.
Quote by Spaminator92
Hello all, I've been playing guitar for about 2 weeks now, but I'm still running into the same problems as in my first days. Whenever I'm fretting a string I'm almost always muting the string below that one. It's very annoying cause nothing sounds right. I'm pretty sure it's my hand placement. I've tried adjusting it by placing my thumb in the centre of the backwood, but it still doesn't sound right.

I have a feeling I have messed up hands =-/ I can't seem to position them right.

Any help?

2 weeks?

There's nothing wrong with your hands, you're just discovering that learning to play the guitar is a lot harder than people tend to think. It's not something you can simply "do", it takes a lot of time to learn even the most simple, basic things when you're just starting out.

Just be patient, it'll probably be 6 months before the guitar stops feeling awkward in your hands.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Oh okay, thanks all I was just worried about learning bad habits, cause I've experienced in other stuff they're a bitch to get rid off...

Thanks again!