I've been playing guitar for about a year now and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

It started out with my dad trying to teach me chords, but my fingers didn't like that, so I found out about tab in a guitar magazine and started with that. I picked it up really quickly, and outside of some of the more advanced techniques, I could pick up songs I liked with relative ease. For example, I learn most songs within an hour of deciding it play it.

However, I feel like this is mere memorization. I don't feel like I can PLAY guitar, but rather, I'm using the guitar. Sure, I can play a bunch of songs relatively well, but it's not the same.

I've learned a few chords, which took awhile to play well (simple ones: CAGED, two other D's, and F# I think?) and recently I began to look at alternative picking.

What else can I do to improve? I practice every day, for varying amounts of time, but I'd like to learn how to play scales and just play well in-general.
then learn scales, solo's, do u no bends,p.h,a.h, and n.h(harmonics)? then learn scales, learn some solo's, man just learn and love to play
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I can do bends, but I don't know harmonics and I've got no idea how I learn scales.

And to be honest, I've got no idea about music theory either.

See, if I knew what to do, I'd be be all over it, because I love playing, I just feel so amateurish.
first off

relax

secondly
have fun with what your doing, you have no rush to become the next paul gilbert or anything, so just play your guitar, learn what you want, research things about gear, theory, songs, different genres, and just have fun.
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Learn some music theory, how to build chords, the basic scales (minor/major/pentatonic/blues), learn how to keep time and how to interpret time signatures. Get a book for guitar playing and music theory and that should help you.

By the way, learning songs in an hour isn't exactly a big feat. I mean I'm not sure which songs you may be learning (maybe they're long, maybe they're short), but my buddy who knows jazz theory can learn intermediate songs including solos in about 10 minutes or so (which is very impressive, he has a great musical ear). What you're doing is becoming a campfire guitarist, one of those people who knows riffs and songs, that kinda thing. If you wanna know how to PLAY the guitar rather than just "USE" it, you gotta do more than just that.

My suggestion: learn the minor scale, read up on some music theory to understand how minor chords are different from major chords and such, and go from there.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
alright listen
learn what you want to learn
if you dont want to learn scales? then dont, someday you will, but when you have matured as a guitarist then start doing that stuff
why do u think so many kids quit the first month they play? bc they get thrown scales in which at the time, they dont care about.
learn to play your favorite songs, and when your ready, learn to sightread and stuff, once you get hooked to this
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010