Page 1 of 6
The Stratocaster is the most popular electric guitar since its release.
When novices think of the instrument, their mind automatically goes to the strat.
I personally prefer the les paul as the electric guitar symbol, but the Stratocaster has been inreplacable for its position as the symbolic electric guitar.

Do you think the guitar itself is a great guitar?
Do you like it or hate it?

Growing up in Japan, lots of Japanese indie bands pick the stratocaster, almost 95% of them.
They don't look good with it, no they don't.
I hate the image of a Japanese highschooler jamming on a strat.
It just looks too cliche and cheesy.
Every strat I played was crap. Like the frets were all rough.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-
It is insanely hard to palm mute on them cause the strings are so low.
Skip the username, call me Billy
love it to bits. not too bothered about the image though just the sound
Unless they are American-made, Strats almost always suck.

Les Pauls nowadays suck too thanks to the nonexistent QC of both Gibson and Epiphone.

ESP is where its at
i enjoy my strat but only as a backup guitar. i play my LTD almost exclusively nowadays.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i dislike strats too, the yplay weird, and i like double cuts, but the knob design looks wierd, and i think the headstock looks WAY to big
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Twisted Magnum

Les Pauls nowadays suck too thanks to the nonexistent QC of both Gibson and Epiphone.

ESP is where its at

now that's not true
i actually want to get a strat cause im getting into the blues and strats have the nicest tone.
i want one so bad
i was looking at one in guitar center and it was like that 50's shade of blue, but it was 1200$
too expensive for me
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Strats are ace.. their extremely versatile, feel great and look good too... i wish there wasnt so many cheap copies :/....and kids who say they've got a fender squire stratocaster, idiots
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Twisted Magnum

ESP is where its at
this, i've only played a bass (not a bass player, all thats at the store, and if i had 600 for a bass, i would get it, esp ltd is better i think, hwats the difference?
EDIT:
summery: Epi/Esp > Gibson, they're so over priced
I enjoy the strat, I think it is because of the style of neck they use, not the sound because if I were to go for sound instead of comfort I'd probably pick a schecter. The neck is just right, the fret sizes, the curve in the neck and the feel.
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
Quote by TheQuailman
Look at my sig.

u wanna have sex withur brain?
I hate them with a passion, in over 30 years played, I have bought and sold them I never found one I liked or wanted to keep. I don't like the sound they produce, the feel etc. The have the same opinion of Teles. I much prefer most guitars over Fender. I give them this though I like the bolt on necks at least if you trash a neck it's an easy fix.

John
Lately I've been to my local guitar store to compare Japanese and mexican strats.
Although they are about the same cost, Japanese ones were far more superior
There are few rare exceptions to both, but Mexican-made strats pale in comparison to ones like the American Standard or Highway One.

Most NEW Gibson Les Pauls are terrible (I've tried 3 of them, INCLUDING the '08 Standard), though if you really really try, you'll find one with the perfect sound and feel. But that's a 1 in 10 chance, especially if you are stupid enough to ORDER a Gibson Les Paul off the internet.

I've tried both the Eclipse and Horizon and both were magnificent to play on. The action was perfect and simply sounds absolutely smooth. I even tried an LTD MH-400 and it played almost as well as the ESP versions.

Japan's got it's stuff down when it comes to guitars.
Quote by -Blue-
HSS Strat, biatch.

+ infinity I love those things!
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
I don't care how much you pay or where a Strat is made they are all the same to me. I do agree that Gibson quality has come down a lot but I think Epis QC is better now. I have played more EPIs that I would choose over a Gibson any day but there have been a couple Gibsons I tried I would kill for. I find more and more lower ranked brands right up there with the big namebrand guitars.

John
Quote by Twisted Magnum
There are few rare exceptions to both, but Mexican-made strats pale in comparison to ones like the American Standard or Highway One.

Most NEW Gibson Les Pauls are terrible (I've tried 3 of them, INCLUDING the '08 Standard), though if you really really try, you'll find one with the perfect sound and feel. But that's a 1 in 10 chance, especially if you are stupid enough to ORDER a Gibson Les Paul off the internet.

I've tried both the Eclipse and Horizon and both were magnificent to play on. The action was perfect and simply sounds absolutely smooth. I even tried an LTD MH-400 and it played almost as well as the ESP versions.

Japan's got it's stuff down when it comes to guitars.

Japan has been known for making anything that's high quality for a low budget.

But that's bias.

It's very ironic that rescent guitars drop in quality compared to the ones made in the 90's.
Quote by radomu
The Stratocaster is the most popular electric guitar since its release.
When novices think of the instrument, their mind automatically goes to the strat.
I personally prefer the les paul as the electric guitar symbol, but the Stratocaster has been inreplacable for its position as the symbolic electric guitar.

Do you think the guitar itself is a great guitar?
Do you like it or hate it?

Growing up in Japan, lots of Japanese indie bands pick the stratocaster, almost 95% of them.
They don't look good with it, no they don't.
I hate the image of a Japanese highschooler jamming on a strat.
It just looks too cliche and cheesy.

There's a big difference between forming your own opinion and flying in the face of convention in a desperate attempt to look cool. All you're doing is deliberately taking the opposite stance just for the sake of being different, that way you'll look all dangerous and non-conformist. Strats are great guitars and they're ubiquitous for a reason...you'll realise that when you grow up and start appreciating guitars as musical instruments rather than worrying about "symbols".

Stop trying to kind yourself that you're special, you're just as much of a sheep as the rest of us
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Strats are my favourite guitar. I play folk-blues-funk-rock. So yeah, I like my Strat for that.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
single coils can do heavy too, they're quite underestimated on UG, but i think that sharp 'trebley' tone is great for metal
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
what are QC's?
Quote by steven seagull
There's a big difference between forming your own opinion and flying in the face of convention in a desperate attempt to look cool. All you're doing is deliberately taking the opposite stance just for the sake of being different, that way you'll look all dangerous and non-conformist. Strats are great guitars and they're ubiquitous for a reason...you'll realise that when you grow up and start appreciating guitars as musical instruments rather than worrying about "symbols".

Stop trying to kind yourself that you're special, you're just as much of a sheep as the rest of us

Of course I understand that they are proper instruments.
I just wanted to hear the opinions from you guys on whether if it's a likable instrument
I'm tired of them, which is one reason i dont care for my current gutiar (sure, its more of a super strat shape, but whatever). at least my 112 has a humbucker, so that helps.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by nowa90
u wanna have sex withur brain?

To contribute:
Strats are some of the most versatile electric solidbodies I can think of. I know that many guitars can produce various different sounds, but the point is that those available on a strat are all non-compromising and have defined the tone of entire genres, while other guitars often have one sound that is good and a bunch of others that are just mediocre.
I play Strats for tone, screw what people think is popular. I just got a new guitar, see my thread in the Electric Guitar forum!
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Actually I think that GOOD Les Pauls are the most versatile guitars, tone-wise.

Once you turn back the tone knob on the neck pup on a LP, it just gives the warmest and smoothest blues tone ever. It's also more consistent and sustaining than the Strat, thanks to the set neck, but that's where the LP loses the famous air-like floating Strat tone, but I prefer the smooth LP blues neck pup tone.

The bridge pup is almost the opposite, which is why lots of hard rock groups still use LP's as their main axes. It gives a very sharp, spear-like tone, and once you introduce gain the sound is monstrous.
Well, it's a 50 year old design that still the industry standard today, so that says something. It's designed for practical use: every detail about the strat is there for a reason. Pretty much every company, even Gibson, have tried to copy the design.

If the strat were never invented, a lot of the popular guitars we use today would never have been designed. Jackson Dinkies and Soloists, Charvels, the Ibanez RG, Caparison, Kramer...all of those are modifications of the Strat design.

I personally think "purist-friendly" strats are great, and I like their clean tone. The thing is, I usually play with a lot of gain, and I need something with a bit more power under the hood.

I'm gonna build my own guitar some day, and it'll be shaped like a strat, but with different wood and pickups.
I'm not going to rant about the Strat too much, there's too many great players that prefer it.

However, I will say, that of my favorite songs..... most of them were played with a Les Paul.

Of all of my favorite players, most of them play a Les Paul, or played one on (at least to me) there best sounding work, e.g. Jeff Beck on Truth used a Les Paul....... the Strat just doesn't give him that sound in my opinion.

The Strat, no matter how much distortion, overdrive, etc. is used always sounds thin and tinny to me. The only player to ever get a great sound out of a Strat as far as I'm concerned was Hendrix, and I've often wandered what he would have sounded like with a Les Paul.

I actually, as far as Fender's go, prefer the Tele. It has a fuller sound than the Strat to me.

But, again, all of my favorite tunes and players have played Les Paul's or at least an SG, ES 335, Explorer, Flying V, or another Gibson model, and Tele's are different, they have a thick sound, but Strat's even in the studio always sound thin to me.
Quote by Tulkas
I'm not going to rant about the Strat too much, there's too many great players that prefer it.

However, I will say, that of my favorite songs..... most of them were played with a Les Paul.

Of all of my favorite players, most of them play a Les Paul, or played one on (at least to me) there best sounding work, e.g. Jeff Beck on Truth used a Les Paul....... the Strat just doesn't give him that sound in my opinion.

The Strat, no matter how much distortion, overdrive, etc. is used always sounds thin and tinny to me. The only player to ever get a great sound out of a Strat as far as I'm concerned was Hendrix, and I've often wandered what he would have sounded like with a Les Paul.

I actually, as far as Fender's go, prefer the Tele. It has a fuller sound than the Strat to me.

But, again, all of my favorite tunes and players have played Les Paul's or at least an SG, ES 335, Explorer, Flying V, or another Gibson model, and Tele's are different, they have a thick sound, but Strat's even in the studio always sound thin to me.

Infact, most of my favourite guitarists use Les Pauls, but when I played them I normally got the same tone as them. The Strats give me a more induvidual sound, and to me at least it doesn't sound tinny. A nice tone that I really like that you can only really get (well, the tone I like best) with a Strat/Tele is that hollow sound you get when you roll off the mids. You can't get that with a Gibson. But you get a really nice, deep sound off the Gibson aswell, and the neck pickup sound of a Les Paul played straight into a Marshall Plexi is another, pure orgasmic tone, which just can't be done on a Strat.

I still like them both pretty much equally! Yes, I play my Strat more, but considering it's a lot better than my Les Paul then that's fair enough. But, after I get a new decent amp and some nice pickups to improve the tone, my Les Paul will be pretty much on par. Which is a nice thing; I can swap from Gary Moore to Ritchie Blackmore like that

Well, you can't blame anyone for liking Gibsons or not liking Fenders, it's all preference. One mans rubbish is anothers silver, and vice versa of the sort.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by Tulkas

Yeah, I actually prefer the telecaster over the strat for it's popularity as well as being used by Jimmy Page during his early days and Andy Summers
My favorite guitar is a strat. Especially a japanese strat. It has the sound I've been looking for and a great comfy body.