so me and my grandfather just built a guitar and finished wireing it about 10 min ago but.. when its plugged in theres a slight buzz coming from the guitar but when i hold the metal end on the cable the sound stops...it could be the cable (thought just occured to me) but we were wondering if its the ground wire being as we havent sodered one on yet...so is it the ground wire? and could i just screw a screw into the side of the guitar and attach a wire rather than sodering it on to the bridge? the guitar is wired like a les paul
FRO POWER!!!
Quote by Tackleberry
No its gonna need to run to the bridge to ground the strings out.

this

Quote by Prisoner5
I don't have an answers, I just wanna say I have a similar problem with my Squier Strat

what position is your pickup selector in? in 1, 3, and 5, there's going to be more buzz. It's just he nature of single coils to buzz, and the fact that they're stock squier pups sure doesnt help..
positions 2 and 4 (bridge + middle, or neck +middle) should be hum-cancelling.

if theres still lots of buzz in pos. 2 and 4, then it could be the ground wire that should be soldered to the bridge, or it could just be that the room you play in has bad magnetic interference...
Quote by 96' FenderStrat
so me and my grandfather just built a guitar and finished wireing it about 10 min ago but.. when its plugged in theres a slight buzz coming from the guitar but when i hold the metal end on the cable the sound stops...it could be the cable (thought just occured to me) but we were wondering if its the ground wire being as we havent sodered one on yet...so is it the ground wire? and could i just screw a screw into the side of the guitar and attach a wire rather than sodering it on to the bridge? the guitar is wired like a les paul
no, you need a connection to the strings, either through the bridge or tailstop.

this will quiet the hum when your hand is on the strings, just like when your hand is on the metal end of the cable.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.