So I'm learning J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, and trying to do an electric version of it. I've got the Toccata part down, but i need some help with the Fugue. It's alternate picking and sting skipping intensive, but I can do that on clean without many f*ck-ups.

|--5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|
|---8-6-5-------5-6-------------5--------|
|---------7-6-7---------6-7-6-7---------|
|-------------------7-9--------------------|
|-8-----------------------------------------|
|-------------------------------------------|

This is a part of the tab, so you get the picture. Apparently, this sounds a bit ugly on electric if you don't palm-mute the high E string, and later on on some arpeggios it sounds even nastier.

Palm-muting sound kinda ok, but still a bit messy for my taste. Should I work on another technique for this one? And how do high-gain arpeggiated sequences sound good on the guitar? (the arpeggio looks like 1-3-2-3 etc, 1 being high e, 2 being b and 3 being G.) Sweep doesn't seem to do the trick here (atleast not my crappy sweeping!).

Any suggestions?
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
You could try setting your selector to 4th position (Assuming you have a 5 way). I often find it has a nice sound. Also... This seems like something you should finger pick. Not alternate pick.
Quote by Cody.Guitarist
You could try setting your selector to 4th position (Assuming you have a 5 way). I often find it has a nice sound. Also... This seems like something you should finger pick. Not alternate pick.

Yeah, on a clean channel or an acoustic instrument of course. But on the electric, with lots of gain (going for a Sinergy - Passage to the reaper kind of sound) I guess it will not sound right. I don't know how to finger pick, and I'm mostly strictly alternate picking, only economy picking when soloing, or on fast parts.

The only way out clean would be a second guitar just hitting the "base" notes, or me having more skills

I have a 3-way selector (playing it on my V), so I'll try middle position, maybe will make it more mellow.

thewrongreasons: I tried that, but still it's not as crisp as I want it to be (maybe it's my picking though).
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
you could arrange to get rid of some notes and play just 1 melody, the electric guitar is powerful enough to do that, on acoustic it would sound boring lol

uzing a mellow distortion sound on the neck pickup, playing high with a single melody should sound very nice

but anyway you can try tapping that too on a single string, so it wouldnt sound like "too much, i cant hear a damn thing"
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Quote by the_extremist00
you could arrange to get rid of some notes and play just 1 melody, the electric guitar is powerful enough to do that, on acoustic it would sound boring lol

uzing a mellow distortion sound on the neck pickup, playing high with a single melody should sound very nice

but anyway you can try tapping that too on a single string, so it wouldnt sound like "too much, i cant hear a damn thing"

Tapping! Damn, I really forgot about that! Thanks a lot mate
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Quote by Freepower
Hybrid picking is your best friend.

That could work too, indeed. I guess I'll have to slow things down a bit and work on hybrid picking and clarity at the same time?
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Well, you should always be working on clarity. It might be best to tap that by taking your left hand, fretting high E on the 5th fret with your 2nd/3rd finger and muting all the strings with your index, leaving you free to tap **** up proper.
What's the designated tempo for this piece to be played at?

Only suggestion I can think of, is working with a metronome, and gradually increasing the speed.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
What's the designated tempo for this piece to be played at?

Only suggestion I can think of, is working with a metronome, and gradually increasing the speed.

16th notes at 90 bpm on the fugue part sound right, but it's classical music, so you can express it the way you want

I tend to play slow and with emotion the slow parts and try to be a bit of a virtuoso at the fast parts.

But it's the feel you wanna give. Even strumming the arpeggios will sound fine.

I love classical music so much, it seems to be the base for lots of things.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
The guy who said tapping was right. I already knew how to play this part and I tap it. Learned it from PicknGrin's lesson a long time ago.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X