I don't understand why some of these so-called punk rockers (Avril L. and Pete Wentz to name a few) would make a signature guitar and take out the tone knob, I don't know about some people but to me it sounds like a stupid idea to do. Could someone explain the usefullness of this to me?
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
You could say there are less wires, meaning less overall capacitanca (or more, I forget) so it will interfere with the sound less.
You could say they're narrow minded and don't ever use it. Exception is EVH, who was cool enough not to need one.
Most likely though, is that their guitars are made by budget companies, so cost cutting is the way to go.
Hmmm true, I see the usefullness there but doesn't sound matter more than anything? Cause peole tell me all the time that they wish it had a tone knob so it could sound better.
Quote by jonathan92

Quote by Robert353
Hmmm true, I see the usefullness there but doesn't sound matter more than anything?

Play a Squier.
Then you'll see that that quote there is bollocks
Pete Wentz plays bass, so he doesn't really need a tone knob, cuz no one can hear him lol.

some REAL guitarist sig's have no tone knob either. Alexi Laiho's sig only has a volume knob, so does Jim root's telecaster.

They do it so they don't have to excessively route the body and so it doesn't get in the way of their picking hand. Personally, i rarely use the tone knob so it's not a bother whether it has one or not.

Alexi's:

Jim's:

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Lots of people who play mostly high gain sounding guitars prefer to have no tone knob. This isn't limited to MTV faux-punks, lots of shred guitar players signature guitars have only a volume knob too. I think it's called not having crap you don't need.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
It's not just a punk thing. Jeff Loomis' signature is just a volume pot. I disagree with that mindset, P like having separate volume controls for each pickup plus a tone knob, but I don't have a signature model.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Pete Wentz plays bass, so he doesn't really need a tone knob, cuz no one can hear him lol.

some REAL guitarist sig's have no tone knob either. Alexi Laiho's sig only has a volume knob, so does Jim root's telecaster.

They do it so they don't have to excessively route the body and so it doesn't get in the way of their picking hand. Personally, i rarely use the tone knob so it's not a bother whether it has one or not.

Alexi's:

Jim's:

I have no doubt that these guitars sound incredibly great but they know great guitar sound more than these "punk rockers" there is no excuse for making a guitar that sounds like crap and taking off the tone knob so you can't make it sound better.
Quote by jonathan92

Quote by troyponce
It's not just a punk thing. Jeff Loomis' signature is just a volume pot. I disagree with that mindset, P like having separate volume controls for each pickup plus a tone knob, but I don't have a signature model.

If i had a sig I would like two volume knobs but no tone knob. You can do so many things with two volume knobs.

Quote by Robert353
I have no doubt that these guitars sound incredibly great but they know great guitar sound more than these "punk rockers" there is no excuse for making a guitar that sounds like crap and taking off the tone knob so you can't make it sound better.

Well if it sounds like crap a tone knob isn't gonna do anything for it lol.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
I would hate not to have a tone knob. In fact, I hate only having one. I like the Gibson's control scheme with a tone for each pickup
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by Necrophagist777
If i had a sig I would like two volume knobs but no tone knob. You can do so many things with two volume knobs.

That sounds interesting, please explain.
Quote by jonathan92

Quote by TehMasterSword
I would hate not to have a tone knob. In fact, I hate only having one. I like the Gibson's control scheme with a tone for each pickup

I can only ever remembering using mine and getting any benefit out of it once. But if i was playing blues or jazz, classic rock something like that, i would want one. But I play da brutalz

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Robert353

Killswitch effects.
Altering the balance of the neck and bridge position so that mixed is "just right." You need well tapered pots, though.
Quote by Necrophagist777
Well if it sounds like crap a tone knob isn't gonna do anything for it lol.

You got me there....
Quote by jonathan92

Quote by Robert353

If you turn one volume knob off you can use the pickup selector as a killswitch. You can really mix the tone of each pickup when using both pickups simultaneously. If you want screaming high gain on the bridge and super mellow clean on the neck, you can do that too. It just provides far more versatility than a single knob.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Truthfully on most guitars I have either owned or played over the years I was never happy with the tone knobs and the lack of range they all seem to have. Most of the time I crank all the knobs on my guitar and just use the settings on the amp to adjust tone. I have a few guitars with just the one knob and they work out fine. I am getting my Halo Octavia on Monday and that is just a single pup with just a vol control.

John

John
Quote by Robert353

You can blend pickup sounds, and you can do killswitchings with your pickup selector.

Phil Demmel's Jackson has 2 volumes and no tone controls.

BTW, in case you haven't noticed, a lot of guitars in the 80's didn't have tone controls, like Kramers and Charvels. It doesn't mean that they're closed-minded. It just means that whoever used them wanted a bright tone.

I personally like to have tone controls, but I never turn them down. I can't get a proper "woman tone" - it always sounds muddy whichever guitar and amp I use. I prefer a brighter, punchier tone, anyway.
Quote by Necrophagist777
If you turn one volume knob off you can use the pickup selector as a killswitch. You can really mix the tone of each pickup when using both pickups simultaneously. If you want screaming high gain on the bridge and super mellow clean on the neck, you can do that too. It just provides far more versatility than a single knob.

That... sounds... AMAZING!!!!!

EDIT: What guitars have this amazing ability?
Quote by jonathan92

Quote by Robert353

ummmmmmmmmmmm......................... any guitar with two volume knobs

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by sashki

I personally like to have tone controls, but I never turn them down. I can't get a proper "woman tone" - it always sounds muddy whichever guitar and amp I use. I prefer a brighter, punchier tone, anyway.

It always will sound muddy; even El Clappo's Woman tone was, by definition, muddy. It's not meant for shred.
I couldn't do without a tone control; hell, I'd quite like full-blown parametric EQ knobs on my guitar.
Quote by Robert353

Turn one of the volume pups on a LP completely off and the other way up and just flick the toggle switch between the neck and bridge.