I currently have a discontinued 15W crate amp with a speaker output, and I plan to buy ONE 120W Marshall cab and use the crate amp as a substitute head until I can afford to buy the Marshall 100W head to go with it.

I do NOT plan to buy two of the Marshall Cabinets! (Even though the picture featured shows two)

Will this work? Is it bad for the cab? Bad for the crate amp? Is it bad to mix the brands? Feedback please.

15W Crate:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GTD15R-Guitar-Amplifier-with-Reverb-?sku=480061&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

120W Marshall Cab:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG412A-or-MG412B-120W-4x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet-101644409-i1145923.gc
Quote by farcry
so... how's a 15w head gonna power a 120w cab?

Easily.

Both the crate and the cab are terrible. That's an MG cab, it's poorly constructed and uses crap speakers. You'd do better to just use the crate with it's stock speaker and look at something else. If the head you're planning on getting is an MG, be prepared for a lot of flaming. It's not the best amp for the money, and it has an awful reputation around here.
Last edited by cutslikedrugsx at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
Easily.

I wasn't being rhetorical, if it actually works can you explain how.
It just does. The wattage rating on a cab is how much it can handle before you destroy it. Try a 5W Blackheart into a 300W cab, it works perfectly and sounds great. You don't lose any power, it sounds more full than a 1x12 too. The stock speaker that comes in those amps is rated at 70W anyway.
Quote by farcry
I wasn't being rhetorical, if it actually works can you explain how.

120 watts is the total amount the cab can handle. You can connect a head with any output 120 watts or lower and it will work.

TS:

Stay away from anything that has "MG" in its name and is made by Marshall. The MG series is Marshall's way of making money off of uneducated guitarists who will buy something just because it says "Marshall" on it. The MG series are cheaply made, poorly constructed, and sound terrible.
oh... so you can underpower the cab, but not overpower it. What about the ohm rating, they have to perfectly match up though right?

edit: does putting a head with a cab with the same wattage decrease the lifespan of the cab or do they get destroyed really easily? I'm upgrading from a crappy combo to a decent setup soon and i'm trying to figure this stuff out.
I'm not blindly online shopping, mind you. I went to Guitar Center and tried out the MG speaker with its MG head. I'm no guitar expert, but I liked it.

I don't understand what's wrong with my little crate either. It's not a pro tone amp, but it does the job for 80 bucks. I've been satisfied with it because of the price, but you see I am in the market for new speakers, hence why I am posting this.
As long as the cab has an equal or higher Ohm rating, it's fine.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Okay:

16ohms > 16 ohms
8 ohms > 16 ohms
4 ohms > 8 ohms
8 ohms > 8ohms
4 ohms > 4 ohms

Not okay:

16 ohms > 8 ohms / 4 ohms
8 ohms > 4 ohms

The cab needs to be able to handle the output of the amp, if the amp puts out less, then it's called a safe mismatch.
My plan is to have a mono 8ohm 150w head on a 150w 8 ohm cab. Would getting a 16ohm cab be a better idea for future upgrades or should I stick with the 8?

btw, thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.
Okay my next question is, if the Marshall MG's are garbage, then what would you recommend as a single cab for $300?
I'd prefer something from Guitar Center. It's close to where I live, and today they are having a 15% off everything deal.
Used Marshall 1960A, maybe an Avatar. Look to see what kind of speakers the cab has. Anything that says "specially designed" is probably terrible. Also, check reviews on Harmony Central and see what people have to say about the build quality. The actual speaker type you'd want depends on what kind of sound you're going for, but since you're looking at MGs to begin with, I would recommend something with Celestion V30s or G12T75s.
rather than buying into the 'if i get a half stack i'll be cool' mindset, invest in a good tube combo instead. the mg might sound good to you now, but down the road you'll shoot yourself in the foot for buying one. an all around good tube combo is the peavey classic 30 which runs for the same price new as an mg halfstack and its exponentially better. buying one used (ebay or craigslist) is always a great idea because you save around 200-300 bucks.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
i was thinking of the G1275s, I like a deep reverby clean hum and a deep crunch. Sort of pink floyd sounding clean and tool sounding crunch, I hate twang, would the G12's be good for that?
chezgrindr, I have been using a Crate V30 Combo to drive a Laney 412 for years. I also have a Vox Pathfinder hooked up to a 212 cab.

What you want to do WILL work fine providing:

1. The Ohm rating on the speaker out on the amp and the in on the cab match up.
2. The wattage on the amp does not exceed that of the speakers in the cab.
Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
rather than buying into the 'if i get a half stack i'll be cool' mindset, invest in a good tube combo instead. the mg might sound good to you now, but down the road you'll shoot yourself in the foot for buying one. an all around good tube combo is the peavey classic 30 which runs for the same price new as an mg halfstack and its exponentially better. buying one used (ebay or craigslist) is always a great idea because you save around 200-300 bucks.

Well, the point was to be loud
I'm assuming this amp delivers the goods in that area, considering it's a decent price and it is a tube amp.

I can find an affordable one in Canada, which isn't very useful because I live in California.
Quote by farcry
i was thinking of the G1275s, I like a deep reverby clean hum and a deep crunch. Sort of pink floyd sounding clean and tool sounding crunch, I hate twang, would the G12's be good for that?

You like Tool? Your opinion has instantly become that much more valuable to me.
A combo would be a smart choice if that's what your needs are. Some people just prefer a half stack. I do, because I have 3 heads and 3 cabs and I keep my 4x12 in my practice space and a 2x12 and a 1x12 in my room. I can move the heads around much more easily that way.
Quote by chezgrindr
You like Tool? Your opinion has instantly become that much more valuable to me.

you seen them live? it was orgasmic. do whatever you can to see them if you haven't.
Quote by farcry
you seen them live? it was orgasmic. do whatever you can to see them if you haven't.

Unfortunately, no. I've heard excellent things about it. Ever heard the Salival version of Third Eye? I hear them live really is a 'psychedelic experience'.

I do plan to see them live when they are in my area and I have 90 bucks or so to spend.
it's beyond psychedellic, they're the modern day pink floyd with way better special effects. It's not even worth trying to explain because words don't do it justice, get floor tickets if you can. I've heard everything Tool has ever done so yeah I've heard it. Anyways back to guitar gear and stuff.
Haha yeah, I will kill for tickets.

While we're at it (even though its not the right thread), anyone wanna give me feedback about my guitar?

I have an Ibanez RG2EX1 in black:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar-103382115-i1167867.gc

And I plan to buy this Ibanez SV5470 in blue:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SV5470-Electric-Guitar-518114-i1394012.gc

That is, after I get the amp stuff figured out.
my question remains, should I get 8ohm speakers or 16 ohms for an 8ohm amp? Which would send better and make the cab last longer.
I would get 8 ohms. It's ok to use a 16 ohm cab, but I think it halves your effective wattage if you use safe mismatches. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not quite sure about the physics behind it. If you ever want to run a an amp at 16 ohms though, I would get the 16 ohm cab and just run the 8 ohm amp into it for now.