Alright, I made the mistake of purchasing a Fender Blues Deluxe exactly a year ago. It really does not suit my needs. Well now I'm selling it and that damned metal muff!

Now I'm looking into an amp that is focused on good distorted tones but still can do a decent job of other sounds, cleans are pretty important. I have a Maxon Od-808(or maybe -9 it looks like an ibanez -9) so I could use that for a solo boost and overdrive but I don't want to have to use it in front of my amp for the rythme tone.
My guitar is a Jackson soloist with passive duncans in it.

I play it standard a lot but don't ever go any lower than drop C.

The types of music I play are like Megadeth, Children of Bodom, Arsis, Mastodon and a lot of shred music like Jason Becker and Cacophony.

My budget is around $1700. I'm open to head or combo amps however, if I get a head then I WILL get a 1x12 cabinet. Portablity is big for me. I also would really want a footswitch to go with whatever amp I get.

So with all that a side I want a solid amp. The less wattage the better but if the tone is that great I'll get have to deal with it.

The tone I'm looking for is somewhere between thrash and death metal, I don't like the sound of either extreme to be honest but somewhere in between would be awesome. I really like a tight tone that doesn't have too much gain or low end, not sludgy or loose. Oh and after spending more than a year with the muff I've learned to reall really hate a fizzy and buzzy sound. Just to give an idea I really liked the sound of the EVH 5150 III's distortion.

So with all this criteria an Engl seems like a good decision. I would prefer to go new but used is always a possibilty. The fireball and blackmore peak an interest but I CAN NOT try them out. So UG, what do you recommend? What amp? What cab? What would get the job done?

Sorry for the really long post but I didn't wanna be vague and UG is the best resource that I have.
Thanks! ::type
i'd be inclined to go for the savage for that, but it's probably over budget.

blackmore might be worth a try.

i haven't tried the 5150 III, but i've heard a lot of good things- if you really liked it and can try it first, that might be a better idea. apart from anything, engls aren't that great value in the USA because all the kickass USA-made high-gainers are much better value...

EDIT: splawn (haven't tried either), soldano etc. would also be worth a try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried out an ENGL thunder the other day, was absolutely superb, combo version (50w)
No noise even when it was cranked 3/4 of the way on the lead channel, i was amazed,
did most genres very well, cleans were really sparkly, and gave a superb heavy tone,
I'll be purchasing one asap.
Only thing is, footswitch is sold separately and is quite expensive, but if your going used, might get a good deal with both.
You want thrash and death metal and you had a blues deluxe?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
You want thrash and death metal and you had a blues deluxe?

Haha, yes i was a noob. Also i hadn't really developed my tastes yet.

I had looked at the Engl combos and liked them but I think they fall just a little short in the gain department.

I suppose a used EVH is always an option. Though its hard to find a decently priced one. So in what ways does the blackmore differ from the fireball? and yeah I agree with the fact that Engls aren't exactly cheap in the US. I haven't heard much of soldano or splawn though. I'll check 'em out.

What are some really nice 1x12 cabs? Or is a 1x12 a bad idea for some reason?
I would go for a mesa 2x12 for the cab. As far as heads go check out the framus cobra
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!
i dunno if a 1x12 is a bad idea, just some 1x12s can sound a little "boxy". also getting a closed back would be cool for metal, not sure if any 1x12s are available with closed backs.

the blackmore is pretty different to the fireball- the fireball has two channels: sparkly clean and modern death metal. there's not very much in-between, unless you use pedals. it's quite dark and compressed-sounding, too.

the blackmore, meanwhile, has a much fatter clean tone, and does the in-between tones a lot better (it has 4 channels), but doesn't get as heavy, modern-sounding, dark or compressed as the fireball. the blackmore is almost like engl's take on a hot-rodded marshall.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, I went to guitar center yesterday to see if i could find something good. I came across this amp except it had the cool little graphic EQ on it. They were selling it for $1,100 so i put it on hold just in case. I liked the way it sounded alot even though i wasn't able to crank it much.
So I'm wondering what kind of reputation these amps have in terms of dependablity, tone and value.
Thanks
thats an insane deal on the VHT
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Yeah at the time i remembered Vhts being pretty expensive. If i were to get it what are somethings to check for when buying a new amp? Just so I can make sure its working properly and that there is nothing wrong with it.
it's new, is it? if so that's a kickass deal, even at USA prices, I think. just make sure it sounds good etc., sound doesn't cut out, the usual stuff. It might be a floor model, or one someone returned, so it'd pay to check that out too- that's it's brand new and just a good deal, and not a cheaper price for a reason.

EDIT: i liked the VHTs I've tried, a lot. Only problem is that they're ridiculously expensive in Europe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nah its used, its in pretty solid condition though. I wish it were new haha. Once i check it out i think I'm gonna pull the trigger for this one. Thanks for everyone's help by the way. Now i need to find a good 1x12 or 2x12 to go with it.
With ~600 left for a cab I would say a Mesa Recto or Vader 2x12 would match it nicely. Or to try and keep on a budget go for a Avatar.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Avatar cabs are great, especially if you want your cab to look a certain way.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright, the vader seems like it would compliment the Vht well. Why is it so much cheaper than other brands of cabinets? Is it less quality or tone or is it just the name that people pay for? Also, the Pittbull is a clearance item at guitar center so if I were to buy it I wouldn't be able to return it. That doesn't exactly sweeten the deal. Also the fact that its on clearance and so much has been taken off the actual price kind of worries me but I as far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with it.
just the name that people pay for

Ding ding ding
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

V-Picks!