1. The Shy One - These people are the quiet, melodic, tone obsessed low end givers we all see but sometimes ignore. This person is really the reason the band sounds so heavy and full, instead of weak and flimsy. Known bassists in this category : Chris Wolstenholme, a lot of rock bassists.

2. The Crazy One - This bassist is either really good, or uses root note chord progressions from the guitar on the bass. They are head-banging, finger-flying, rhythmic sons a bitches. People in this category - Flea, Geddy Lee (he is more funky than head banging but he is still good as ****.) and other punk bassists.

3. The Visionary - Changing the face of bass as we know it these people are good at what they are trying to change. They are experimentalists and every bassists should follow their work whether it be different and simple or complex and orgasmic. This category includes Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Michael Manring, etc.

What other categories can you think of?
The Talentless One - The typical Punk-rock/indie Bassist who plays one note per bar but as fast as they can to give the illusion of talent, people in this category; Pete Wentz ... do I need to go on?
The Black Guy:
Plays a 5- or 6-string Warwick or Fender Jazz, always smiling, most often tall, wide, and bald, goatee and sunglasses optional. Found most often in big jazz/R&B sets that include horn sections. Black.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
The Black Guy:
Plays a 5- or 6-string Warwick or Fender Jazz, always smiling, most often tall, wide, and bald, goatee and sunglasses optional. Found most often in big jazz/R&B sets that include horn sections. Black.

Examples:Vic Wooten and Stanley Clarke
Quote by Underjoggle
The Black Guy:

Or maybe just someone who enjoys playing bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
the chameleon- depending on the mood of the song/show, goes from simple roots to solos and steady stance to spinning. confrontational on stage, often an asshole off, but not always. tends to be a focal point of the band and is usually a singer. ex: Les Claypool, Sting, Nicolas Lopez
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Underjoggle
The Black Guy:

Haha, they also sometimes have a Kangol hat, saw basically that exact description playing bass for Gogol Bordello in Glastonbury a couple of years ago
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by Underjoggle
The Black Guy:

I think you just described pretty much every session bassist I've ever seen on television
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
the insane one. theses guys are amazing at what they do. everything from making their own basslines under the guitar or playing along with the guitar. sometimes can even be seen playing a solo of their own. other bass players in this cliff burton, geezer butler and rex brown
The one with the really big ... hands. Gotta have 'um
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
The Jam Guy: Who needs to read music when you can make your own? Doesn't matter if it's new, or a cover, This guy will more often then not just write his own part, and provided some talent, often makes it sound pretty damned good. Just play on, brotha, play on. Artists in this Category; Flea, Roscoe Beck, Bootsy.
The Fat Guy: Every now and then you see a bass player who's frame is rather proportional to that of his instrument and strings when compared with a guitar. Sometimes these people were shunned to play bass like they were shunned in most social settings.

The Narcissist Asshole: Some players have a wealth of knowledge they apply all the time to every facet of music, and they demand the respect they deserve for it. When, where, and how often they demand the said respect may put off people. However, we're sure that the guitar player's incompetence irks the bass player more than his eccentricites irk everyone else.

The Multi-Instrumentalist: This goes two ways - some bass players couldn't hack it on guitar, or made the switch to get gigs. Some bass players by virtue took up other instruments to add flavour that the guitar player's self-assumed awesomeness can't cover.

Now as fat, multi-instrument narcissist asshole, I will say that the conditions that the former descriptors apply to are not absolute - you can be a fat guy or a jerk for reasons other than listed.

And I love how these read like one of those Chinese caledars.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The Pop Band Bassist: Information about this creature is limited, due to the fact that, quite frankly, no one cares.
Quote by Underjoggle
The Black Guy:

fender jazz? hmm sounds familiar, beard? sunglasses? jazz? it's like looking in a mirror, except i'm not black
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by rooster456
The Pop Band Bassist: Information about this creature is limited, due to the fact that, quite frankly, no one cares.

wait, pops where all the womenz are at....

Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Attention Seeker: Realising their position in the band is pretty minor, the attention seeker uses visual flamboyance to stick out. Bass tones can sometimes be distorted to gain more 'presence' in the mix. Examples: Nicky Wire, Nomi Leonard...

...me...
The Indie girl bassist. Quirky, with short or straight blonde hair with a penchant for either mini skirts or bohemian clothes. Usually fairly articulate with leaning towards funkier riffs or drones.

Example: Tina Weymoth, Kim Gordon, Kim Deal..

I'd add more but I just spent the afternoon charting out most of Diserali Gears and I'm really, really tired.
The Band Leader. That one determined guy who has the forceful, upfront personality when it comes to pushing his band forward to succeed. Also writes ALL of the songs in every aspect: lyrics, melodies, progressions, song titles. Often pretensious as well and quite the dictator @$$hole that wants to be in control of EVERYTHING. Guys like Steve Harris and Matt Sinner fit this archtype perfectly.
Quote by rooster456
The Jam Guy: Who needs to read music when you can make your own? Doesn't matter if it's new, or a cover, This guy will more often then not just write his own part, and provided some talent, often makes it sound pretty damned good. Just play on, brotha, play on. Artists in this Category; Chris Wood, Mike Gordon and Phil Lesh.

Fixed.

Quote by anarkee
^or Roger Waters. Just ask David Gilmour

And fixed.
The Tone Guy. Any member of the band could be obsessed with tone, but more often than not, its the bassist. Always fiddling with his amp and tone controls, and angrily attacking anyone who tries to mess with them. Eg, me
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
The Stoner.

Stands still, usually beside the drummer or bass amp, plucking/picking/slapping notes. Can be root notes, melodic lines or plain overly complicated runs. Examples, John Entwistle, various indie bassists.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
The Cool One

Your life simple and your music complex, your presence ranges from bouncing on your toes and laying whole notes to flailing about whilst ripping the strings off your bass. Your basslines never walk over the song, and yet you manage to awe everyone. Despite your showmanship, you still seem to be a simple character by residing within your own head for most of the show. Examples include P-Nut, Norwood Fisher, and Dirk Lance.

Lucky Numbers: 3, 5, 11, 13, 19, 24, 56

狗汤 gou shang
Dog Soup
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
The Country Music Bassist - knows 5 notes and loves his cowboy hats, often seen absconding with the last of the known whiskey at the end of the show, and is subject to frequent beatings from the guitarist due to said whiskey theft.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
^ I know a guy like that...of course, being from rural Arkansas might have something to do with it.
Nope, no sig here.
Where do you think Jamerson fits in? I think the visionary, the black guy, and the jam guy (after a while, they decided that writing music for James beforehand was absolutely impossible, because pretty much everything he thought up would be better. So, a good number of the songs he played on, they handed him a chord progression and he improvised the rest).

I'd probably be the crazy one, mostly due to the fact that I tend to make a complete fool of myself onstage by violently headbanging and thrashing around until I almost fall over. Great for metal, but it just doesn't work in a classic rock cover band playing at school events, as I learned the hard way. I'm just glad I only did it during rehearsal, and not while performing. I also want to say I'm a visionary, because I do much of the song writing in my band, but I don't want to seem like a dick. Also, I like to get "creative" with my songwriting, which always seems to either turn out really well, or really badly.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Me: HUGE COMPARED TO OTHER MEMBERS, easy laid back off stage more phycho than a wolverine onstage with head banging and fills and solo's, has very deep thundering lines, likes to stray from root note's at gigs, has a thing for trying thing in different playing styl's to see how they sound DDDDD
If you are one of the %10 of teen who doesn't follow Rap
and you follow PUNK, METAL AND HEAVY ROCK COPY AND PASTE THIS TOO YOUR SIGNATURE
The Friend: The guy in the band who's friends with the singer, who really sucks, so you give him a bass and tell him to play root notes. Upon discovery of his lack of knowledge of simple terms like "root notes", you tell him exactly what frets and what strings he has to play. Upon discovery of his lack of ability to play, you turn his amp off and tell him to thrash around a lot. Found exclusively in crusty punk bands. Examples: Sid Vicious.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The Chris Gearing:
Me.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by aaciseric
The Talentless One - The typical Punk-rock/indie Bassist who plays one note per bar but as fast as they can to give the illusion of talent, people in this category; Pete Wentz ... do I need to go on?

Further and better example. Jay James from Bullet for my Valentine. How he gets away with playing as little as he does without criticism is a bit beyond me.
The bassist who's really quite talented but is relegated to a simple backing band to make a major label pop singer seem more jazzy:
A complex background in jazz and fusion but now hitting strings for Duffy on "later with Jools Holland". Often seen wearing smart clothes (waistcoat optional), nodding his head to the groove and sporting a huge smile, after all he's getting paid for this!