I've been playing for three years now. I don't have problems with chords and such but overall I consider myself very sloppy. I just can't grab my guitar and start playing something smoothly and nice sounding. You know I got some techniques down but overall I'm afraid that I might be not good enough for a band. My goal is to be the guitarist in a (power) metal band. I daily play the guitar but mostly only random exercises. My amp sucks so hard that I never play amplified. I really want to spend time on practicing but I just don't know what to practice. I have the patience to not get bored. But it's pretty much a waste of time if I aint learning what gets me to my goal. I hope anyone can help. Thanks
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
What amp have you got?

Playing is practicing my friend..Even if what your doing, you may not class as a practice, it certainly is.

Id just enjoy it...Sometimes when i sit down to practice, i'll play so badly, probably because im trying to hard. But then other times i'll pick up the guitar for a few mins passing by, do a few runs all over the fretboard, and it feels awesome

Sometimes you may not feel like you've improved or are imrpoving, which isn't always true, infact you may think you're getting worse, but its far from it.

How good do you want to be btw? Playing with a band will do wonders (rhythem wise, improv, structure).

When i practice, it usually means me working on theory, or reading lessons and learning notes.

Try this.

Learn some new licks, go over a few songs by favourite artists, check out some licks, and try and do them. Once you get a few down, which you probably already have...just put on a backing track (or any music whatsoever) And play along. Solo to it.

Oh yeh, buy yourself a VoX. Fun amp.
Best way to gain that skill is to go JAM with other people.

There is no subsitute for actual functional experience in your field. For you (and us), that's playin with other musicians.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
First off, know that 99 out of 100 guitarists reach this point(again and again in there lives). It's a good sign that you're probably a better player then you think.

I'd say just go for it and try to find people to play with. Once you start playing with someone, no matter how disastrous it turns out, it'll be one of the best ways to learn exactly what you need to work on to start moving towards your guitar-goals. Take the risk and find people to play with.

Also...don't practice electric guitar un-amplified. In the end, you'll find that your attack, tone, and a whole lot of other things are sloppy because you weren't hearing the "true" sounds of your guitar. If it is at all a possibility, get a better amp. No guitarist wants to play more when their equipment sounds like crap.

EDIT: haha, nice post strat0blaster...you beat me to it.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Thanks so much for the help. The main thing is getting in rhythm with the band. I played with a (project) band once. And about the amp. I'll get a Roland Cube 60 in 3 months
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Get some drum loops set in in GP or a jamtrack, play along in time. Metronome is even better if you can stand the BEEP beep beep beep.

Write lots of music.

Practice muting and economy of motion for both hands.

That's pretty much it.
this is a time that i honestly think that a new amp can help you get better, if its demotivating you from playing, a new amp will motivate you. that cube is a very good choice, i got the microcube for my birthday a few weeks ago, and haven't left the house for anything but school and busking since!

beyond that, jsut use a metronome and a mix of clean and distorted channels when you practise, focus on clarity with every note and eventually you will be amazing!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Thanks. What is actually economy of motion. I'm dutch
Quote by razorback91

Just jam with better musician's then urself.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
If you feel like you're not quite ready for a band, then spend time learning whole songs. Exercises are great and will improve your technique, but you need practice at pulling the whole thing together into 4 or 5 minutes of music.
Sloooooooowwwwwwwwww dooooooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnnn.
Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Explorer Standard
Tradition Strat
Crafter Acoustic

Peavey Classic 30
Line 6 DL4
Dano Fish 'n Chips
MXR Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MD-2 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby