I got a 2500 yesterday from a friend who's just been keeping it around This is what it looks like, mines black and the humbucker is a bit lower though. . The bass looks great and played reasonably well but whoever put the strings on it last messed up badly so I went to a nearby guitar center to run in and out with a pack of D'Addarios (here )

Those are just the 5 string version of what I've nearly always bought for my jazz, I guess I just assumed that long scale was ... long enough.

After I started putting these new strings on I pretty much realized that i was ****ed because first the B then the E strings tapered off just a few millimeters before they got to the nut and if you try to play either string you'd probably just cringe from the buzz they produce.

Anyway, has anyone ever had this problem? Suggest some strings maybe? I measured the original strings and got about 38'' from what was left (i don't know if that's how you do it, but its what i guessed) and i read that long scale is 35''. Hell, maybe someones even got this bass eh?

This situation is bound to just be embarrassing if i get an answer, but you cant learn from mistakes if your not willing to say you've made one right?
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Then i'd guess that a 36'' scale would do the job, now just gotta find a new type of strings that i like ^^.

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I have the exact same Bass.

Rotosounds and ernie balls (just) fit (get the longest long scale versions).

and yes it's a 34" scale bass

Bloody nice bass man
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Thanks for the answers guys, imma go get some Rotosounds tomorrow seeing how Double Basser just confirmed they work.

^good luck, the rotosounds are pretty good, but i prefer the ernie balls as the are a little softer and better for slap, speaking of which how do you find the string spacing?
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Its a bit thinner than a jazz so I'll have to get used to it, totally helps a bit with speed though. I don't think I'll be using it for slap all that much though, not that i usually slap at all, because I went ahead and tried to play Higher Ground and ...well it just turned into a painful experience for the skin above my fingernails. Probably just a error in technique if I thought about it though.

Long = 34"
Extra Long = 35"
Medium = 32" and below really.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.