Page 1 of 2
I am considering asking for this book for christmas and want an opinion on it from what i consider the smartest people EVAR! unfortunatly i coulnt find them so i came to the next best thing, the pit.

anyway, bad jokes aside, has anyone read this book? if so is it worth reading or would i just be wasting my time?
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
I've read it...

It's a deep insight into the angst that exists within the mind of a teenage boy from the 1930s.

That was me acting intelligent.

I really agree with what he said ^^^.
its great, it's rumored to hae inspired the jfk assasination,if it hits you then its powerful as ****, you will love it or just go meh,that was pointless
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
I didn't like it. I hated the main character. Someone should write a crossover book where Holden Caulfield gets his ass kicked by Alex DeLarge.
Quote by Trefellin
I didn't like it. I hated the main character. Someone should write a crossover book where Holden Caulfield gets his ass kicked by Alex DeLarge.

because that would make a great book
signed,
your favorite poster
I'm not a fan, The main character is a douche. I guess I just couldn't identify with him.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
i really really sympathised with the charachter,we were so alike in some ways it was weird, i really understood his mind ,seriously tho you have to buy the book its a love it hate it kinda thing
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick

Quote by Aerokizzombie

Quote by CodChick

Quote by MCMXCII

I'm scary
Well, I really enjoyed it. That's just me, though.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
It dosne't really have an ending but its a good read.
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Quote by last-1s-out
It dosne't really have an ending but its a good read.

Lol, what do you class as an ending? Where everyone lives happily ever after? The last page of a book marks it's ending, so of course it has an ending.

I say you get it. It's a cult classic so it deserves to be read by anybody before they die.

I loved it, btw.
Quote by centorium
i really really sympathised with the charachter,we were so alike in some ways it was weird, i really understood his mind ,seriously tho you have to buy the book its a love it hate it kinda thing

I couldn't sympathize with him. I have more in common with good ol' Alex.
you must acquire it
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
It's considered a classic and there is still a lot of hype surrounding it. I could have lived without reading it.

Holden is pretty much a giant pussy.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
It was very good. If you're in high school it's very likely you'll have to read it at some point anyway. I read it a year before we had to in school and enjoyed it just as much the second time through. Also kicked ass on the essay
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Asking for a book for christmas? What is this world coming to...
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
I actually liked it cause i agreed with a lot of what Holden thought. Actually this book was in some way involved with John Lennons murder. The guy who killed him wanted to BE Holden. He killed Lennon cause he thought he was a "phony".
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Quote by Trefellin

That was the problem with the book. Holden needs his face smashed into concrete repeatedly.
The book was fairly well written all things considered, and you might enjoy it--I just happened to loathe the main character based on what an arrogant, cocky, whiny little bitch he was.

EDIT: I ask for books for Christmas all the time. It's usually all that I ask for actually.
DOWN&OUT
i have read it, and i wouldn't believe the hype if i were you, it was controversial for it's subject matter when written, using profanity with the main character not caring about life ect, it's a dull read and only famous because 2 famous gunmen were linked with favoring this book, kid hates life, kid quits school, kid bitches for 100 pages, the end.
All you guys saying Holden was a pussy obviously didn't really understand the book, at all. He never harmed anybody, so why does he deserve to have his face smashed in?
Quote by centorium
its great, it's rumored to hae inspired the jfk assasination,if it hits you then its powerful as ****, you will love it or just go meh,that was pointless

I thought it was the John Lennon assassination? Wasn't Chapman obsessed with it when he killed John?

Anyway I really loved the book. I read it in 4 hours. I couldn't put down. Everyone seems to love it or hate it.
Quote by jpgilbert701
I actually liked it cause i agreed with a lot of what Holden thought. Actually this book was in some way involved with John Lennons murder. The guy who killed him wanted to BE Holden. He killed Lennon cause he thought he was a "phony".

That's pathetic, wanting to be Holden Caulfield. That's worse than wanting to be Shinji Ikari.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Lol, what do you class as an ending? Where everyone lives happily ever after? The last page of a book marks it's ending, so of course it has an ending.

I say you get it. It's a cult classic so it deserves to be read by anybody before they die.

I loved it, btw.

I haven't read it ina year or so but isn't the ending where he just kinda says "Thats all I'm gunna say for now" or something, talking to someone? I can't remember. Quailty stuff though.
CYMRU

Quote by apothecarrie
I cut my tongue with a spoon.

Andrew Wk Party Tip 11Be Awesomer!

Woo
Quote by The_Paranoia
I thought it was the John Lennon assassination? Wasn't Chapman obsessed with it when he killed John?

Anyway I really loved the book. I read it in 4 hours. I couldn't put down. Everyone seems to love it or hate it.

,my mistake guys your right, just a slip of memory lol.

nah i too read it in one sitting i truely felt close to the character, if you identify with him then it is a really good read.
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick

Quote by Aerokizzombie

Quote by CodChick

Quote by MCMXCII

I'm scary
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
All you guys saying Holden was a pussy obviously didn't really understand the book, at all. He never harmed anybody, so why does he deserve to have his face smashed in?

I never said he was a pussy. I said he was an arrogant, whiny douchebag--there's a difference. What on earth did I not understand about the book simply because I'm extremely put off listening to him bitch for so long? I can look at the book as a work of literature and still have an opinion. I get that Holden is rebelling in his own way and disillusioned with the world and adults around him (child molesters and shit parents). He's like his own little Peter Pan only in the end he shows maturity anyways. Whatever. You can write that story without making him such a whiny cunt.

EDIT: I really don't care, I'm sharing my opinion on the book. Get it--like other's have said, regardless of how you feel about it, it's a useful thing to have read, as you'll encounter it and it's ideas throughout your life. I say get it.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
I never said he was a pussy. I said he was an arrogant, whiny douchebag--there's a difference. What on earth did I not understand about the book simply because I'm extremely put off listening to him bitch for so long? I can look at the book as a work of literature and still have an opinion. I get that Holden is rebelling in his own way and disillusioned with the world and adults around him (child molesters and shit parents). He's like his own little Peter Pan only in the end he shows maturity anyways. Whatever. You can write that story without making him such a whiny cunt.

He's not really arrogant tbh. People overuse that word. It's obvious he's mentally ill, which I would expect you to take into consideration. But yeah, whatever.
Quote by centorium
,my mistake guys your right, just a slip of memory lol.

nah i too read it in one sitting i truely felt close to the character, if you identify with him then it is a really good read.

Exactly. I thought he was a winey little tard until I actually connected to him. There is a deeper meaning then what you get from reading it. I forgot most of the book though, I should read it again.
Emos jerk off to Catcher in the Rye

(200 Brownie Points to whoever gets the reference)
It's a good book.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
He's not really arrogant tbh. People overuse that word. It's obvious he's mentally ill, which I would expect you to take into consideration. But yeah, whatever.

Calling him mentally ill is a bit of a cop out. He's clearly distraught, but mentally ill is pretty strong. I would however call the character arrogant based on the way he interacts with those around him. He looks down on so many people without a whole lot of questioning towards his own methods--which is part of immaturity and why at the end of the book he's a more bearable character because he ultimately does mature.

Agree to disagree, I guess.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
Calling him mentally ill is a bit of a cop out. He's clearly distraught, but mentally ill is pretty strong. I would however call the character arrogant based on the way he interacts with those around him. He looks down on so many people without a whole lot of questioning towards his own methods--which is part of immaturity and why at the end of the book he's a more bearable character because he ultimately does mature.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

I'm sure you've judged people without knowing anything about them before. We all do it sometimes. Guess we all have a little bit of arrogance in us. I don't think we'd be human if we didn't.

And not a cop out. He's telling the story from a mental facility. I think it's not very stretching to say that he probably had some form of depression.

But yeah, agree to disagree.
Page 1 of 2