i have some questions about Clapton & his playing style.

i have seen some old youtube videos of "crossroads" (versions different than on wheels of fire) and it seems that he plays a very similar solo. So, does he usually compose his solos to a rough extent then add in improvised bits live? it appears this way to me, but I'm sure others know more about him than i do.

I would also like to know what string gauge/brand clapton used back in the cream days, as well as now. His Strat would be 25.5" scale, compared to his Gibsons back in the sixties (24.75"). Does he use the same gauge on strat, or does he go down one?

I've just been wondering these points for a while now. Here's a video for you to enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l16jlallBMs&feature=related

Thanks for help & info..
i believe he used ernie ball .10's
edit : i think he just plays some of the same licks as the ones in the recording of crossroads sometimes but i have heard plenty of stuff that is improvised off the cuff
Last edited by hankscorpio at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by hankscorpio
i believe he used ernie ball .10's
cool! those are the same i use!
Does anyone else have more info about his soloing styles and such?

Thanks!
From what I understand most of Claptons solo's and such are mainly improvised. On the track Sunshine For Your Love from what I understand it's mostly improvised.

He is apparently known as 'Slow Hand' for his really really slow blues solo style so I can suggest just if your emulating Clapton then give your solos space to breathe. Treat it like a conversation .. you say your part .. the track [or silence] say's the rest happy playing.
Actually, the "Slowhand" is in reference to the slow hand clap that the crowd would do when he broke strings.

Thanks for the info!
Quote by Zanon
From what I understand most of Claptons solo's and such are mainly improvised. On the track Sunshine For Your Love from what I understand it's mostly improvised.

He is apparently known as 'Slow Hand' for his really really slow blues solo style so I can suggest just if your emulating Clapton then give your solos space to breathe. Treat it like a conversation .. you say your part .. the track [or silence] say's the rest happy playing.

That's completely wrong - he was ironically nicknamed "Slowhand" because he played so fast, but the slow handclap thing happened too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com