hi there
I was interested in building a basic distortion stompbox (no pots) just a simple dpdt switch on the outside and a couple of LED's etc. does anybody have any general advice for me or anywhere i can source parts easily in the U.k.

edit:
hi again I've been looking around on site in the u.k. such as maplin an I'm not entirely sure of what type of capacitor i should be using (what they are all made of) I'm trying to gain a better understanding of what's what and was wondering if anybody could help?
Last edited by Sink-the-pink at Nov 29, 2008,
Well there is a point. If it is really loud you can at least set it to a certain volume and then use the volume pedal to do swells and such.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Plus if the volume is too loud, it'll distort every pedal after it in the chain. The only UK parts supplier I know of (I'm state-side) is Maplin.

What about a drive pot? Otherwise it'll be at full drive all the time.

I know you said no pots, but there's a reason they're there. They are very useful.
Quote by Invader Jim
Plus if the volume is too loud, it'll distort every pedal after it in the chain. The only UK parts supplier I know of (I'm state-side) is Maplin.

What about a drive pot? Otherwise it'll be at full drive all the time.

I know you said no pots, but there's a reason they're there. They are very useful.

I agree with everything here. On most of the distortion pedals I've tried, depending on the sound I'm after (soft OD to crunchy to metal), I'd wanted to change the amount of gain, and usually for me the sweet spot is just somewhere in the middle to upper-middle range of gain but not totally maxed out. And like Invader Jim said, volumes aren't just used as volume controls but also as signal limiters, I guess that would be the right way to say it...
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
yeah, you will definetly want pots.
For parts, the ultimate pedal building thread has a whole list of part suppliers in UK in the first post (i think)