Well, my situation is...:
my band is close to leaving the basment, and heading off for gigs. And in no way do I have a suitable amp for this (well, one that will deliver good tone).

In terms of music/sound I'm looking for, something along the lines of Protest the Hero, Children of Bodom, Megadeth, Black Label Society....just so you get an idea of the type of 'heavy' I'm looking for.

I've been looking at some Marshalls, jcm 900 and jcm 2000 dsl heads.
So I ask, out of these two, which do you think will produce a smooth tone, with enough distortion to cover the musical fields I'm looking for? I have a Boss Gt-8 that I can use for other effects and EQ-ing (if this information helps at all).

Much apreciation and thanks in advance.

Just as well...
what makes the 2000 dsl different from a 900 and 800? Which do UGer's prefer in general?
Last edited by page.slash at Nov 28, 2008,
Quote by DespisedIcon
Engl.

That wasn't what he was asking about.

To TS: I recommend a JCM 900 with an overdrive pedal, a Tubescreamer, or something like it.
If you're going for the Marshall sound then you're better off buying a clone from a company like Ceriatone - they are much better sounding than the modern production Marshalls.
Quote by GNRjungle87
That wasn't what he was asking about.

To TS: I recommend a JCM 900 with an overdrive pedal, a Tubescreamer, or something like it.

I had heard that the 900 had a good amount of gain, enough for 'heavy' stuff. But just some stuff I've heard as opinions, I guess.
And I'm guessing that the Tubescreamer-thing on the gt-8 would not be as great as a real one (so I've experienced from using it...though it was through a ****ty amp).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you're going for the Marshall sound then you're better off buying a clone from a company like Ceriatone - they are much better sounding than the modern production Marshalls.

would these clones be sld regularly in a guitar shop?
I also have to look at their price. Because if they're more expensive than a marshall...I'd have to go for the Marshall (assuming I am unable to try the Ceriatone to compare it to one of the two Marshalls).
My budget is anything that isn't too rediculous. I don't want to go past the $2000 Canadian mark.
I was thinking marshall (especially those two) because i want something that will last me for pretty much forever/as long as possible. I don't want something cheaper/less expensive as a "just for now" or "better than what have now anyways" amp.
At that price I'd be looking at the following:

ENGL Screamer
ENGL Thunder
Peavey XXX
Peavey Ultra
Mesa/Boogie DC-5
Mesa/Boogie F-30
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier
Mesa/Boogie Rectoverb
Peavey JSX
ENGL Fireball
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You're in canada!?
Traynors are cheaper up there...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Special-100H-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481158

Traynor YCS100H, grab that and a good cab and you're set.
or an ENGL Screamer Combo
ENGLs at that price are that good? because it's been etched into my head that they're so expensive (but obviously, damned good). And I won't need any OD pedal to "get it tighter" or whatever?
And yes, I'm looking for a halfstack. I'm just one of those guys that believes from experience that they sound better than the combos...as well as combos are pretty heavy anyways, so why not carry around the head and cab?

Thank you for your help, Raijouta and Highwaytohell
What would happen if I bump this thread, just to get some more opinions as well? Just because everywhere I look, people are recommending ENGL screamers. Is that the new trend?