Who're the main front men on the modern jazz scene? I'm bored of listening to John Petrucci and want some slow-paced jazz guitair-age but I'm kind of bored of listening to stuff that's 20+ years old.

In a rush making this thread, just trying to expand my horizons :p
Eric McFadden, Garaj Mahal (Fareed Haque plays guitar), and Charlie Hunter are 3 off the top of my head.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Jazz guitar players aren't necessarily "slower" than John Petrucci... (Allan Holdsworth...)

For the really serious modern jazz guitar players on the scene, probably the most emulated original sound in recent years is Kurt Rosenwinkel. He's one of my favorite musicians alive.

Pat Metheny is still making great music, and so is John Scofield.

A couple less-well-known New York hot-shots are Jonathan Kreisberg and Mike Moreno, great modern straight-ahead players (with a lot of Rosenwinkel influence, to my ears).

Finally, one guy everyone will be paying attention to more and more is Gilad Hekselman, one of the most freakishly brilliant young musicians around. The things that he and (drummer) Ari Hoenig do with time are mind-blowing.
I'd look into Guthrie Govan, he isn't always Jazz, but he does a lot of Jazz and Jazz Fusion, he plays with his Jazz fusion quartet "The Fellowship" at a jazz club in Chelmsford.
He's pretty good, does a lot of bluesy stuff too, look him up on youtube.

Everyone else I can think of has been mentioned really.
Quote by Underjoggle
George Benson

Isn't that considered Motown?

Anyway Joe Pass is an excellent jazz guitarist, he plays some high tempo finger picked jazz licks and it sounds awesome.

youtube it or something
Will Bernard is very similar to John Scofield, they're both great jazz-funk guys.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
BILL FRISELL & BEN MONDER.

Jim Hall is still modern after about fifty years on the scene.

John Abercrombie is one of the best and most underappreciated.

Also: Vic Juris, Mick Goodrick, Corey Christiansen, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Steve Khan, Sonny Greenwich.
Tiger style.
Quote by Supertribe
Who're the main front men on the modern jazz scene? I'm bored of listening to John Petrucci and want some slow-paced jazz guitair-age but I'm kind of bored of listening to stuff that's 20+ years old.

In a rush making this thread, just trying to expand my horizons :p

hmm, I could probably listen to the entirety of Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery's recordings without ever getting bored.

Don't overlook the classics!

on that note, some of the younger cats that I know of in the straight-ahead jazz scene have all pretty much been mentioned. I would add to that by recommending the following:

Will Bernard - great jazz/funk/fusion player, very contemporary sound.

Bireli Lagrene - (big upss to BROOTAL for mentioning him) yeah undoubtedly one of the finest guitar players today, let alone getting into which idiom he plays in

Oz Noy - Israeli guitar player who plays outta NYC, monstrous chops, jazz fusion.

I haven't really begun to dig Kurt Rosenwinkel's sound as such, just have listened to the one album though,.
Check out Andreas Olberg from Sweden he has got some chops...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI2pv9Myrjg

Ron Affif more of a traditional guy but still new and not yet mentioned

Scott henderson, dave fiuczynski for the more fusion and funk styles.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Check out Andreas Olberg from Sweden he has got some chops...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI2pv9Myrjg

hey thanks for putting this out - I'm digging this guy.

PS: now only if he could cut out the extraneous shred licks he just throws. he pulls of a mean Wes impression!
Last edited by Axegrinder#9 at Dec 17, 2008,
the term "jazz" gets blurred alot today...for me its an attitude...perhaps a structure of the "head" repeated twice on top...and once on the bottom...then again...perhaps not

miles davis threw the book away with "in a silent way" and burned it with "bitches brew"

the guitarists that were spawned in that era have developed and influenced an entire generation of new players that play "jazz" with a new insight, execution and concept..

listen to some of jeff becks latest work...see some of him on u-tube if you can..a pioneer of taking guitar sound into new realms...and he seems to do it with little effort....one of the best practitioners of "sound control" ...(he is NOT playing slide on some of his pieces...try getting that sound from a strat and pedals)

to me its "jazz" in its pure and intended meaning...

play well

wolf
Otomo Yoshihide IMO.

Check out the album "Soup" featuring Bill Laswell and Yoshigaki Yasuhiro.
A lot of weird guitar playing on there.