so i walked into best buy (yes, best buy) and went to their new music section. i found a sales man and asked him about the boss noise suppressor, and whether he believed it would be a better thing than the isp decimator. ive heard that the isp is better, but i wanted to know if it was so much better as to warrant ordering it/waiting.

this is the point he did something very strange to me: he DIDNT immediately try to get me to buy something. he asked what i was trying to do. i told him that i had noise/hum that i wanted gone, and i figured that a noise suppressor would be the way to go. but he said that instead of buying a noise suppressor (he claimed it would rob me of my tone), maybe i should instead put in new preamp tubes. and then replace my patch/main cables, because they might not be shielded right.

so, what do yall think? should i just buy the pedal and hope it works, or replace the tubes/cables? i actually think that replacing the tubes and cables would be cheaper, which is why i didnt understand why a salesman would suggest it.

im playing through a year old fender hotrod deluxe->boss dd7->vox 847a (i think)-> ibanez TS9dx->epiphone les paul. i power all the pedals with a dunlop power brick.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
ah, o yeah, i am definately no running really high gain.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

Definitely check your tubes. What cables are you using now? Upgrading to Mogami cables or a comparable brand will improve your tone tenfold.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
right now, ive got about 3 of those little patch cables that one always sees by the register at guitar center, a "livewire" cable tat ive had for about a year or two now (it seems reliable) and one of the cheaper monster cables.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

An old tube can cause hum. So can a bad (cheap) cable. Hum can also come from a ground loop. Lighting dimmer circuits can also cause hum in a tube amp.

First question we need to answer is, how long has the hum been in your system? Since day 1, or just recently? Are you using cheap, store brand cables? Are the amp and power supply to the stomps plugged into the same outlet or power strip? If not, a ground loop could cause hum - This is actually a low probability. If any part of your signal chain is plugged into a computer for doing recording, this would definitely cause hum if the computer were plugged into a different outlet. If the hum started recently, then tubes could be to blame, especially if you play several hours each day, or allow the amp to sit unused, but turned on for several hours each day.

A noise suppressor won't necessarily rob you of tone. Normally, you won't hear tone loss until you have several effects connected together. This causes an impedance mismatch, which robs the high end from your tone. I run a dozen pedals in my board, but use high quality interconnects - that's really the key to running lots of stomps.
Quote by A7X-LoGaN-A7X
Definitely check your tubes. What cables are you using now? Upgrading to Mogami cables or a comparable brand will improve your tone tenfold.

Mogami or Monster Cable work quite well. I also recommend George L's cables for connecting the pedals in your board. They can be a bit of a pain to build, but they're good and won't cause any loss.
Quote by no1flyhalf
right now, ive got about 3 of those little patch cables that one always sees by the register at guitar center, a "livewire" cable tat ive had for about a year or two now (it seems reliable) and one of the cheaper monster cables.

You should upgrade your cables to mogami or something comparable, and your patches to George L. More importantly, make sure you don't have a microphonic tube. This will make the biggest difference.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
One thing to keep in mind, is that all tubes are microphonic to a certain degree. What we're looking to avoid is the one that breaks into oscillation and goes bananas when it's tapped. How do we check for microphonic tubes? A pencil eraser! With the amp warmed up and out of standby, lightly tap the pencil eraser on the glass envelope of the tube. It's going to make a little noise, but the noise should abruptly stop and not break into a shrill howl. A tube that has microphonics may not exhibit a hum. A tube that exhibits hum may exhibit low microphonics. Here's a quick way to verify if the hum is due to a bad tube - disconnect the cable going to the amp input and if the hum is still there when you come out of standby, it's a bad tube. If the hum is gone, it's somewhere between the input cable to the amp and your guitar.
Quote by KG6_Steven
An old tube can cause hum. So can a bad (cheap) cable. Hum can also come from a ground loop. Lighting dimmer circuits can also cause hum in a tube amp.

First question we need to answer is, how long has the hum been in your system? Since day 1, or just recently? Are you using cheap, store brand cables? Are the amp and power supply to the stomps plugged into the same outlet or power strip? If not, a ground loop could cause hum - This is actually a low probability. If any part of your signal chain is plugged into a computer for doing recording, this would definitely cause hum if the computer were plugged into a different outlet. If the hum started recently, then tubes could be to blame, especially if you play several hours each day, or allow the amp to sit unused, but turned on for several hours each day.

A noise suppressor won't necessarily rob you of tone. Normally, you won't hear tone loss until you have several effects connected together. This causes an impedance mismatch, which robs the high end from your tone. I run a dozen pedals in my board, but use high quality interconnects - that's really the key to running lots of stomps.

the hum/noise has been there ever since ive had the amp. i am using the store brand cables to connect the pedals. i normally have the amp and the pedals power supply plugged into the same power strip along with the other guitarists amp and our PA.

honestly, i was surprised he suggested my tubes being bad, because i would like to think i am pretty nice to them.

the more i think, the more i figure its my cables. they are kinda ****ty.

Quote by KG6_Steven
One thing to keep in mind, is that all tubes are microphonic to a certain degree. What we're looking to avoid is the one that breaks into oscillation and goes bananas when it's tapped. How do we check for microphonic tubes? A pencil eraser! With the amp warmed up and out of standby, lightly tap the pencil eraser on the glass envelope of the tube. It's going to make a little noise, but the noise should abruptly stop and not break into a shrill howl. A tube that has microphonics may not exhibit a hum. A tube that exhibits hum may exhibit low microphonics. Here's a quick way to verify if the hum is due to a bad tube - disconnect the cable going to the amp input and if the hum is still there when you come out of standby, it's a bad tube. If the hum is gone, it's somewhere between the input cable to the amp and your guitar.

this sounds knowledgeable. i will be trying this.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

Last edited by no1flyhalf at Nov 28, 2008,
Is the hum still there when you disconnect the input cable on the front of the amp?
my amp is over at my buds house, and he is gone until tomorrow, so i will know then.

thanks for all the help btw.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

He suggested tubes and cables because he had dollar signs in his eyes. Tubes and cables could rack up a larger commission than just buying a noise suppressor alone. That's why it pays to be educated when you have a problem, so you know exactly what you need - not what some Best Buy salesman thinks you need. Actually, I'm a bit surprised he knew anything about the subject. Maybe he plays guitar... or has a friend who plays.
I'm betting the hum goes away after you unplug the input cable. I'm betting it's one of your cables. Chances are, you don't need a suppressor. You just need better cables.
ide get new patches and a decimator
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by KG6_Steven
He suggested tubes and cables because he had dollar signs in his eyes. Tubes and cables could rack up a larger commission than just buying a noise suppressor alone. That's why it pays to be educated when you have a problem, so you know exactly what you need - not what some Best Buy salesman thinks you need. Actually, I'm a bit surprised he knew anything about the subject. Maybe he plays guitar... or has a friend who plays.

touche'. i didnt figure on that one, i was hust counting money down from me.

and to be educated is why i waited and consulted a greater knowledge.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

Quote by KG6_Steven

Wow, I know some people who work at the Best Buy music section and yes they actually know how to play guitar and are good at it and yes, they are in bands. Not all salesmen are pricks, prick.