Hi everyone, for the past few months i have been listening to ska and me and my friends love it. We decided to start a band but we have no clue where to start , we understand what the guitar has to do but where does the bass begin ? What about the drums ? How do we go about all of this ? Any tips ? Etc.

Thanks in advance
Try listening to La Vela Puerca, or maybe No Te Va A Gustar, stuff like that, or maybe Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, that may give you an idea hope it is helpful...
upstrokes for guitar, pop beats for drums, and heavily arpegiated basslines. horn melodies? just have fun with it.
traditionaly the bass carries the melody in ska. For ska punk it doesnt really matter though. Usually a horn melody will do. Ad far as guitar goes a generic ska punk song would have ska upstroke chords on the highest stings, usually a progression using I IV V. Tehn for the chorus or whatever the guitarist might kick on distortion and play a similar progression on pwer chords. Reel Big Fish uses that style, learn some of their songs and emulate that at first. Now if you want to play like streetlight, I recommend praying every night and maybe god will give you the ability to be the greatest band ever.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
traditionaly the bass carries the melody in ska. For ska punk it doesnt really matter though. Usually a horn melody will do. Ad far as guitar goes a generic ska punk song would have ska upstroke chords on the highest stings, usually a progression using I IV V. Tehn for the chorus or whatever the guitarist might kick on distortion and play a similar progression on pwer chords. Reel Big Fish uses that style, learn some of their songs and emulate that at first. Now if you want to play like streetlight, I recommend praying every night and maybe god will give you the ability to be the greatest band ever.

Streetlight uses powerchords too.....but miraculously they're better than RBF......strange.
EDIT: I forgot it's because Kalnoky is actually Jesus in disguise.

Walking basslines about sums it up, yo
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by Ach-med
Streetlight uses powerchords too.....but miraculously they're better than RBF......strange.
EDIT: I forgot it's because Kalnoky is actually Jesus in disguise.

Walking basslines about sums it up, yo

Streetlight uses barre chords, like every other ska band.
Quote by original=punk
that, and Streetlight actually know how to, I dunno, write music?

There isn't a big difference between many songs though.

I'm a fan speaking the truth.
LARGE TEXT
use a walking bass, or if you wanna play more reggea stuff then the bass might do whatever he wants, the only thing he mustn´t do then is being on the 1,2,3 or 4. The drums shouldn´t be that hard, a normal punk beat is okay, just play it a bit "funkier" with an open hi hat sometimes.
Quote by MannersBad
Streetlight Manifesto is not better than Reel Big Fish.

Either you're a troll or just have no ears.