I am looking for a good Les Paul, but sadly don't have the money for the one I really want(Gibson Les Paul Standard 08). I was wondering what a cheaper, yet still very good Les Paul would be? I've looked at Epiphone, Gibson, and Agile, not sure what other brands make a Les Paul style. My price range is up to $700(but am willing to go a little bit higher if I have to :s
I'm definitely going to have to tell you to go with an Epiphone if you want the closest thing to a Gibson. Many other companies make Les Paul models, but Epiphone is part of the Gibson company. If your price range is $700.00, I would go with the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. These things are sweet and have a great tone. I'd look into that
Quote by Alexionz
I'm definitely going to have to tell you to go with an Epiphone if you want the closest thing to a Gibson. Many other companies make Les Paul models, but Epiphone is part of the Gibson company. If your price range is $700.00, I would go with the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. These things are sweet and have a great tone. I'd look into that

yes, listen to this man! he posseses wisdom!
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
I am digging my new Epi Les Paul Standard... $600 out the door.

I would also suggest taking a look at the warranty of any guitar you buy and who you buy from. The reason I went with the Epi is because Sam Ash Music is backing it up. I've bought my last 2 guitars from them and I will keep buying from them because, so far, they've gone above and beyond to keep me happy.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Epiphone Les Paul Standards are pretty good intermediate guitars, same with their Les Paul Customs.

But if you do go Epiphone, I'd try to find a used one. Usually you can get like a couple hundred dollars off.
Quote by Mockingbird452

But if you do go Epiphone, I'd try to find a used one. Usually you can get like a couple hundred dollars off.

Ya, but he DOES have $700 and he said he wanted something of high quality so maybe go new?
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
I strongly recommend Edwards Les Paul copies, I ordered one based on the recommendation of a friend and couldn't be happier. Mine plays and sounds better than any Epiphone I've ever played and rivals some Gibsons (new ones in particular).

They are made by ESP for the Japan market.

Link for more info: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

If you are uncomfortable with shipping a guitar, however, I would say an used Tokai Love Rock or Epiphone would fit the bill.
Gear:

Edwards Les Paul Custom
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fender Stratocaster USA
Ibanez RG550DX

ENGL Fireball
Mesa 4x12 Cabinet
I'd cast my vote for an Epiphone Ultra II. They sound great with all types of music, and reasonably lightweight, for a Les Paul that is, and they go acoustic. It's a good value, and they're very sharp looking. If not that, then the next best thing would be to look for a Used Gibson LP Studio, which you could probably get a more recent one if you can pull an extra 100 bucks or so.
How is the sound quality of an Epiphone? More specifically the Les Paul Ultra II
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Standard Plus(Honey Burst finish)
Fernandes Retrorocket Elite
Boss GT-8
ValveKing 212
or Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Standard Plus(Honey Burst finish)
Fernandes Retrorocket Elite
Boss GT-8
ValveKing 212
The sounds quality is amazing. If you didn't know what Gibson was... you'd think this had the best sound of the Les Paul design. There is a nano-mag technology that can seamlessly switch between an electric sound to an acoustic sound.