Hey all, I'm looking for a good tube amp that will go well with the telecaster I plan on grabbing for the Holidays. I will be playing mostly alt, blues, and some grunge. The amp shouldn't be more than 5-15w, in fact I won't buy one that goes over. I will NOT be gigging, I will NOT be jamming, and it will NOT be leaving my bedroom. I had the valve junior for a while but didn't really like the tone, so I'll be switching it out for this one.

I would like to keep the budget at around 300 dollars, but I'm fairly flexible so I could go higher or lower with it. Basically what I'm looking for is a small tube amp that has a really solid tone that I can build on. I don't mind having to buy eq/overdrive/etc. pedals, in fact I plan on buying some pedals to finish off my tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is the wrong section, the tiny terror is great I hope to get one soon but all my money's going into guitar building tools.
I love my Epiphone Valve Junior combo. I see people recommending maybe an OD pedal and an EQ, like a Bad Monkey and a Danelectro Fish n' Chips.

I highly recommend the Valve Junior.
All your base are belong to us.
Fender Super Champ, it's 15 watts, it has Fender Tweed tones and overdrive for your blues, and it has a Metalhead setting for your high gain needs. I'm pretty sure the Vibro-Champ is the same, but it is only 5 watts. They are hybrids, but sound Tube. TS, what is your closest major city?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Nov 28, 2008,
blackheart
valve junior

two i would choose from personally
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
d'oh! thought i was in the gear section >.< . Thank you for all of the replies regardless of my mistake.

Grand Rapids, Michigan is the closest city, other than that, detroit. I would be willing to buy used, but craigs list usually doesn't have any good amps in my area posted.
The Crate V5 or V18 are very good amps. The 18 is a bit over the 15 watt that you said, although it can be adjusted to run at a lower wattage through biasing the tubes. They are both quite cheap, the V5 is 99 and the V18 is 199. The Peavey Valveking 8 also seems to be a good amp, i've played quite a few Peaveys and really have not found one that I could get a good sound out of.

One thing you can do to brighten up the Valve Junior is to clip Jumper 1.
that V18, would that second 12" affect the tone or just overall volume? It's 50 dollars less for the 1x12" version, but I will gladly pay the 200 if the tone would suffer otherwise.
Quote by pENTAcUBE
d'oh! thought i was in the gear section >.< . Thank you for all of the replies regardless of my mistake.
i'll report this thread and ask a Mod to move it to GG&A for you.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I do some minimal jamming with mine, but mostly bedroom use for my Crate V18 2x12". Picked mine up from Musiciansfriend.com for $199. I'm really happy with it.
My 10-watt Peavey Backstage II sounds wonderful at $60, sounds sexy clean and od'd. Has od switch, od knob, volume, high/low eq, and headphone and CD jacks.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by pENTAcUBE

You can make it fit into the GB&C by customizing your VJ to sound awesome, its a very common thing to do. Although, if you don't feel confident with that sort or stuff have a look at the Blackheart Little Giant or Killer Ant
yeah, I have no faith in my ability to mod any sort of electronic device outside my computer. So I've narrowed it down to either the V18 or the BH little giant.
sounds good. Go give both of them a try and see which one you like most, or if neither of them are what you're looking for
I'll add that one to my list for my next trip out to the shop, thanks everyone for the help, really appreciate it.
At that price you really only have three options:
Blackheart
Epi Valve Jr
Crate V series.

To get alt or grunge out of them you def need a pedal. I saved up a little extra cash for the Tiny Terror. $400 for the head with JJ EL34s. I think the TT or Egnater Rebel 20 would be perfect for you if you had the money
This pushes it $100, but would be great with your Telecaster. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/msg/923653390.html
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."