Page 1 of 4
Hey, thought I'd take part in this. I'll probably need help so it would be great if people could give me advice!

I'll start off talking about my previous experience with building and customizing ; Nil. This will be the first time i've done ANYTHING to an instrument other than play it.

Ok, to start with I have a black Musicman Stingray style body. It's from a cheap £100 bass I started off on. I don't want to do anything to the finish, not a single scratch on it, looks nice and I already wanted a black body!.

Have a look at the wood, I think it's......MDF lol. It looks more like sugar or cocaine is holding the body together

Got the neck, took the frets off by hammering a small screwdriver at the side of the neck, then pulled out with pliars. Gave it a quick sand down. I bought my first item for this build, a tub of wood filler. Got a bread knife, put a blob on and filled in the space. I had no idea if I was putting enough in, so I might have went a little over-the-top, but it's ok because I could always sand any excess off.

I left this to dry for about 3 hours. While waiting for this to dry, I turned on my LED lights to view a print off on guitar building. I thought, "...Free LEDs!". So I took them apart, took the LEDs out of their cases.

I got another 3 lights (3 LEDs in each), slowly took them apart, took them off the circuit board. One cracked in the process, so I binned it.

Then I had to find out how many volts one LED runs on, so I got a 1.5 V battery ; nothing. Added another 1.5V battery and.....

God gave us light!

My wood filler had dried, so I decided to sand down the neck again, to remove the excess filler. As I put a lot on, this took me around 15-20 minutes. It feels smooth, no bumps where the frets where, not lost too much curve on the neck. All in all, for my first day, i'm REALLY excited about what lies ahead!

Tomorrow my plans are : thinking over how to install LEDs (anyone got any advice? I'm willing to drill), where to install the batteries (probably store them like I would if I had an active preamp/pick ups), MAYBE varnish the fretboard, not sure if I want a clear coat or maybe add some darkness to it? Talk to a guy on a forum selling machine heads and a pick up (£12). Locate paint and primer for the neck and headstock, it's going black. Think of the Musicman style "Stealth" instrument.

So far I've spent £12 - Wood filler and Varnish.

This is what i'd like the bass to look like (with a maple fretboard remember)

The Musicman Stingray SUB.

The 8 string thing? Hmm..it's 50/50 at the moment. I'd tune it in octaves (of course) like a 12 string guitar. I'd add 4 new machine heads on the headstock. Now...what about the bridge? A new bridge?

I hope you enjoy this first post of my very first build. I'll update it daily, and taking pictures at every stage.
aaaaaaaaweeeessoommmmeeee.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.
After a long search on Ebay, I've found a control plate (With pots and knob), bridge and string tree.

One problem, what colour?

Or

Black or gold hardware? Gold looks classy, but black has the nice feel of being a Stealth. Like the MM Bongo (below)

...aaaaand final question. Buy another pick up? Either J or MM pickup, i've got a great deal on two MM pick ups. It would give a more balanced tone with the ability to jump between bridge p-up burp and neck p-up bass.

I'm having real trouble finding a scratchplate for this bad boy aswell. !
Quote by LeviMan_2001
go chrome! its the only way. haha.

I agree. Although, this is your build, do it the way you want.

I did find some Black Nickel [like chrome, but not as...chromey?] tuners a while back that look great, but I can't find any other Black Nickel hardware to match them, so they look out of place....
BLACK ON BLACK

In other news... I think this thing is gonna be off the hizzy for under 100. keep us posted!

------

Shwiggity.
Day Two

That's me spent £18 as of today. I bought Black Paint in a spray can, I need to buy primer tomorrow.

Got up early, sanded off the neck, inspected the frets (or lack of...) and found a few at the high end could do with a little attention. Not bad for a first attempt.

Got a 12V battery, got the LEDs in a circuit and they all worked. It will dazzle anyone who comes near me hah.

I sent my neck away to my friends (He has a free drill to use). Here is a picture of my ideas.

The red line will be a 3mm channel running along the side of the neck, the red lines going up will be 3mm channels aswell. My cables for the LEDs is 0.5mm each, this HOPEFULLY will give me the space to fill the channel. Now, what will I do about the lines running across the fretboard and the massive one going down the neck? The neck will be simple, fill it with wood filler, sand it down, add primer and paint. The fretboard will be the same, woodfiller and sand off. You might think "You will clearly see lines going down the fretboard". Well, Squier paint on their big block 70s Jazz style fret markers, so I'm going to do this.

In the style of Mr Billy Sheehan himself. Notice the fretboard? I will paint this on. This SHOULD fill any marks left by the wood filler.

Tomorrow at 11am GMT I will start this. Tomorrow night you will get to see pictures of either ; The greatest moment or an epic fail! Argh.

Ohh and thanks guys, I've decided that I will go black. You know what they say.

Take care everyone and thanks to the 7 people who commented!
wow i can't wait to see this bass up and running
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
should be a good build
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I've decided, it's not going to be 8 string for a few months. The idea of having a standard 4 string fretless is too appealing. But the idea is still there for the future, maybe middle of January.

God, I can't wait til later today when I start putting the LEDs in. I'm thinking, glue for the sides of the LEDs (to hold them in place) and Epoxy over the top. Epoxy can also be used on the fretboard. I'm kinda thinking of a crystal like feel to the lights? Not perfect light shining through but a distorted light.

Another question, can LEDs heat up enough to burn my fretboard? lol. I could do something like a John Myung style solo and end it with my frets on fire. Alas, i'm more likely to burn down my house and be homeless.
Quote by chip46
I like where you're going with this. So are you going to have a switch on the pickguard or something that cuts the LED's on and off?

I'm going to make a switch in the 9v battery holder, as i'm stealing the parts from an electrician it will probably look more like a light switch, instead of a small switch. which will be just behide the bottom cut away. This is an easy place to put it, no screws in the way and its closer to the neck (Every piece of wire adds up lol).

It's not as cool as a flick from the pickguard, but meh. Maybe if I have some money spare.
i'll be extremely happy if you can pull this off.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Very quick update as its 6am and i've not been to bed yet!

Got a nice channel running along the neck, Got the wiring ready, got the LEDs, got the fret markers out.

I've found the greatest way to take fret marker inlays out, destroy them with a drill lol.

Got one problem though, LEDs wont fit. I'm gonna go ghetto with this and cut them in half. I wont be touching the actual light, just shaving the outter shell down a little. If it messes up, I've found a pack of 10, 3mm LEDs for £1.99 on eBay. Urgh God, also need to buy resistors for the LEDs. This will be really hard to do. But hey, I like a challenge.

Got a free Soldering iron today, sadly I had to buy the solder wire.

Budget at £20 out of £100. God, it's gonna be tight, considering the cheapest pickguard is £30.

......Anyone with a Musicman Stingray that wants to donate a pickguard? Yes, take the pickguard off your £1,200 bass and give it to my £100 bass haha

Any question? any input?

PS - That isn't me bidding for a neck on ebay incase I destroy my own one *worried* lol.
why dont you fill in all the holes and cavities, then make it rear routed, it will look so much better IMO

you will have to repaint it though
Quote by guitarcam123
why dont you fill in all the holes and cavities, then make it rear routed, it will look so much better IMO

you will have to repaint it though

Oh, the wires to the Fret LEDs are going down the back of the neck. Don't worry, I avoided the truss rod aswell, I amazed myself lol.

And, i've taken a spraycan of black paint and primer off my friend for the neck! My first time painting, shall be fun. Need to get some laquer now. I also have way too much woodfiller left, so I can make the neck look "Normal" again.
Quote by guitarcam123
no i meant for the body, so you dont have to get a pickguard....

....It's 6am, sorry lol.

The sad, vain part of me wants a pickguard. Musicmans (Sounds so wrong) need the egg shaped pickguard in my mind. With all this effort going into the neck, I have to justify it by giving some attention to the body. I'm just hoping and praying one comes on Basschat or Ebay.

Yes, i'm that sad lol, i don't play with a pick, and the pick up routering fits PERFECTLY without any space...but i still want a pickguard.
i don't know how you get along without a pick....

advertise in the UG gear ads forum, craiglist and if you want Project Guitar has a buying/ selling section too.
also try harmony centeral, they have big forum last time i was there.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
yeah there are heaps of other music forums on the net
i've signed up for project guitar, harmony central, ceriatone forum and music electronics but every time i've come back to UG
I can live without a pickguard for a few months.

Ok, this week i'm doing any body work that needs done. First I need to buy the hardware.

Control Plate

Bridge

£26 roughly. Ouch !

This will bring my total to £46. Nearly spent half my budget already, still need machine heads, epoxy and a string tree.

PS - I'm glad to see some other bass brothers doing this £100 Build aswell.
Quote by deftonesordie
^christmas gift mayhaps?

I've already asked for some money towards a practice amp. Gah.

Although...I might just start visiting my grandparents again at the weekend...

Forgot to update ; Found the original pick-up, so no need to spend money on that.

Here it is, a generic MM pickup.

My fretboard has strange lines going across it, they were there before I defretted. Anybody know what is it? Is it cracking? They dont create a bump, they're completely flat, so won't affect playing. They just seem odd. Maybe just how the maple went?

Oh well, waiting on the parts coming from ebay. Should be here by Thursday. Got my epoxy for the fretboard. Hopefully it should be enough to cover the whole fretboard.

Yea, boring time lol. My necks at my friends getting drilled. I've no idea when that will be back home.

No interesting pictures to upload or cool stories to tell . I want to do another under £100 Build after this lol. My friend who quit bass has a P bass copy, I'm seriously considering doing something with that. I'll get back to you guys about this in a few days.

I've convinced my mother that micro LEDs will look good in the Christmas tree. So more free LEDs for me lol. Might go for a multicoloured look down the fret board. Say, fret markers to and including the 12th fret will be clear LEDs, and the rest of the fretmarkers will be multicoloured.

Any question? Input? Suggestions?

Oh yea, and another advert ; If you're looking for cheap parts, PM me i have too many in my room. (...and I need money)
for pickguard - do you not have any plastic hanging around? maybe you could make it out of that? i have some perspex lying around that im going to paint the back of and use i think .

or alternativly - i saw this in the forum earlier - use an old record - you can get a scratched u one of them for very cheap and its not often you'll see them.
Attachments:
trextele.jpg
Quote by CobenBlack
for pickguard - do you not have any plastic hanging around? maybe you could make it out of that? i have some perspex lying around that im going to paint the back of and use i think .

or alternativly - i saw this in the forum earlier - use an old record - you can get a scratched u one of them for very cheap and its not often you'll see them.

............An LP would fit perfectly haha thank you! What a great idea. I'm gonna look into that tomorrow.
T REX!

sick build, i dont play bass but my bands looking for a bassist,, haha check it guys

subscribed!
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
The record idea is amazing!
I might try that on one of my guitars.
I've been wanting to do that for awhile but I haven't had any guitars to try it with.
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Hey, update for today. Got my bridge through the door (took one day, not bad). I've put it on with only 3 screws, just to have a look at it.

I think black looks so much better than chrome for the Stingray, here's another shot showing the whole body and the bridge.

Thanks to CobenBlack's suggestion, I went looking for some of my dads old LPs. So...anyone who likes Prog Rock, don't be offended by my choice.

A Yes album. I have no idea which one, it just says "Yes - Shows". I hope to God this isn't some rare album that will sell for £300 on eBay hah.

I'm really digging it against the body and bridge. I'm currently making a template for it. No idea how to do this, but i'll find a way. Friday I will be cutting the pickguard out.

Now, my favourite Stingrays are the 5 string version because of the pickguard shape. Have a look below.

So I thought, why don't I shape the LP into this? I can't see too many difficulities, can you? Another reason to us this shape is it will ALSO cover the cavity for the pots. So I can drill 4 holes out, put the pots through and use some black control knobs lying around. No need to buy a new control plate

Oh yea, Friday I will have the neck back home and i'll take pictures to show you guys. Sorry the updates have been a little boring recently, i'm feeling the boredom aswell. Just gotta wait for the weekend when it's back to full action again.

Thank you for all the comments, and a big thank you to Coben for the idea!
I just want to say that the LP=Pickguard idea is awesome and can't wait to see how yours turns out!

(... but a yes album??)
did you want me to make a template for you?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Page 1 of 4