For any of you guys out there with a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 pedal, I need to get a Metallica type sound. I just got this pedal today and it sounds great, but I can't get it to sound like a Metallica distortion. I'd like to get a more Master of Puppets/And Justice For All sound. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
You will not get a Metallica-type tone out of the Boss Metal Zone, especially with the Spider III.

I recommend you start saving for a new amp; lately Metallica have been using Mesa/Boogie Dual and Triple Rectifiers. If you don't want to save that much maybe look into a B-52 AT112.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The cheapest way to get a fairly close metallica sound is probably a mesa f-30 or mesa DC.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It does sound like crap on the Spider III, but I'm using it on a Drive bass amp until a get a new amp.
My Gear:

Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Get a new amp first imo.

But don't get a Boss MT-2. If you want a good distortion pedal for metal, get a Line6 Uber Metal Distortion (yes, Line6, it's a good pedal) or an EHX Metal Muff.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The cheapest way to get a fairly close metallica sound is probably a mesa f-30 or mesa DC.

+1, I always forget about the F and DC series.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Can you guys please stop telling me to get a different pedal? If anyone has anything close to a metallica sound on this pedal, please let me know.
My Gear:

Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Level at noon, Bass at 1 O'clock, Treble at 2 O'clock, Mids at 10 or 11 O'clock, Mid Freq. at 1 O'clock, Distortion at almost all the way up. With the amp set for a good clean sound. I don't use my Metal Zone anymore but these are the settings I used before I retired it. You might have to adjust them a little.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Nov 28, 2008,
Don't use too much distortion. Have it set to about 12 o'clock.
Back off the treble for rhythm sounds, don't use too much bass.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Level at noon, Bass at 1 O'clock, Treble at 2 O'clock, Mids at 10 or 11 O'clock, Mid Freq. at 1 O'clock, Distortion at almost all the way up. With the amp set for a good clean sound. I don't use my Metal Zone anymore but these are the settings I used before I retired it. You might have to adjust them a little.

Well, finally, thanks for actually giving me an answer.I'll try it out.
My Gear:

Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Thanks zakkwyldefan79, works pretty good.
My Gear:

Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
You won't get a decent high gain tone with pedals. Thats just not how the best metal tones are made- especially true of Metallica. What you end up with is a decent bedroom sound that turns to **** at higher volumes or when recorded.

There are a lot of cheap high gain amps that sound fine with the right settings; Carvin X-100s, older Peaveys like the Butcher and the Ultra, these can often be had for less than $500 if you look around stores that deal primarily in used gear and on Craigslist.
This thread is coming up on 4 years old my friend....
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not