Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, for the past year now I've wanted to upgrade my amp (I started playing 3 years ago and haven't replaced my small kustom) so I'm hoping I can get a new one for christmas. The play a lot of pop-punk, punk, some metal, and some hardcore. I really want to get in a band and start jamming out so I need some gear upgrades, one of which would be an amp upgrade. I've looked around and I've narrowed my choices down to several amps. The least expensive one I would want would be the a Marshall MG100DFX combo amp, but would this thing be able to crank for gig's? Besides the combo there are 2 stacks that I have looked at the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412A Purple Half Stack and the Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Half Stack. I honestly don't know which amp would be the best at this point. I own a Gibson faded SG by the way, which is what I plan to play with on the new amp. If any of you cold give me some advice as to which one would be a great choice I would really appreciate it !
First off, you don't need an amp that big. A 30 watt tube amp is plenty to keep up with a band
Budget?

DO NOT GET A MARSHALL MG. I'll say that, and I guarantee you most other people who enter this thread will say the same.
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Classic 50
Orange Tiny Terror and mic it at gigs
Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber
Marshall JCM 2000 60 watt combo or any other 50 watt marshall tube combo
Mitchell Pro-100 (Mesa Boogie MKI Clone, think Weezer Blue Album)
18watt Marshall clone
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
try out a bugera 6260 212

thats what i want for xmas
i tired it out and i love it
Can't go wrong with a Vox in my opinion. But for your styling I dunno. A Peavey, Bugera, or something sounds like the most efficient.
Fender HRD/Classic 30/50 etc. are not good for metal in the least

A Tiny Terror could be good.

Bugeras and B-52s are about the best bets for mid-budget metal
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
Fender HRD/Classic 30/50 etc. are not good for metal in the least

A Tiny Terror could be good.

Bugeras and B-52s are about the best bets for mid-budget metal

Seeing as he said he plays a lot of pop-punk, and punk and SOME metal. It would be better suited to get an amp that suits his main style and then just get a pedal to kick it up a few notches. Tiny Terror doesn't do metal without help either.
Quote by eurotrashed
Seeing as he said he plays a lot of pop-punk, and punk and SOME metal. It would be better suited to get an amp that suits his main style and then just get a pedal to kick it up a few notches. Tiny Terror doesn't do metal without help either.

The tiny terror is 15w right?
Well, I'm getting the Fender FM half-stack for Christmas, it's cheap (only $500 for the head and cab) and from reviews its a pretty decent amp. So check it out heres a link to the head Fender FM Head and heres one for the cab Fender FM Speaker Cabinet The Cab is a little heavy at 82lbs. but it's 100w so......
Quote by Nite_storm
The tiny terror is 15w right?

Yes and switchable down to 7 watts. However plenty of people on the Orange forum use for gigs, either use a 4x12 cab for gigs or mic it, or you might not even need that, they are loud. To put it in perspective, there is a link somewhere showing how loud each wattage is compared to others, but 15 watts is something like 75% as loud as 50 watts. 50 watts is twice as loud than 5 watts. 100 watts is twice as loud as 10 watts
ugghhh I can't decided. The deal that luigi posted was really nice for the fender head and the cab was suuuuuuuuper cheap. I dunno
why is everyone reckomending high gain amps?

just get a nice marshall tube combo you like, it will do the punk and pop better than the mesa's, and it wont have a horrible metal tone either.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
JCM800, imo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by R.D

just get a nice marshall tube combo you like, it will do the punk and pop better than the mesa's, and it wont have a horrible metal tone either.

Marshall will work but Mesa is the staple for pop punk/skate punk and they're pretty good for metal I dare to say.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by R.D

Um, other than the tripple rectifier crap, Mesa Boogies aren't really metal amps. Hell, Santana is the one that said "This amp really boogies" when he tried out the Mesa Engineering MKI, and they added the Boogie onto the name after that. The amp gave him his signature tone
Jesus christ, why are so many people recommending overpriced amps (Marshall MG, AVT, Fender FM) lately?

OP, get a Peavey Classic 30 and a Fulltone OCD for your metal tastes, or a Bugera 6262 or 333XL.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by eurotrashed
Um, other than the tripple rectifier crap, Mesa Boogies aren't really metal amps. Hell, Santana is the one that said "This amp really boogies" when he tried out the Mesa Engineering MKI, and they added the Boogie onto the name after that. The amp gave him his signature tone

not really metal amps? you dont know your amps very well do you?
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
I found a really good deal on a used marshall avt150 tube combo? Maybe I should go for that?
Quote by Nite_storm
I found a really good deal on a used marshall avt150 tube combo? Maybe I should go for that?

No

AVTs are hybrids, and they sound kind of crappy

To the guy who said MESAs are not used for metal... WHAT?! Dude get me some of that **** your smoking right now Like every amp other than the Stiletto Ace and the MK1 reissue is a metal amp. GAWD!

you do not need a halfstacks, seeing as most halfstacks under a grand are ****

A classic 30 would suit you nicely, They can DO metal easily with an Overdrive. God i've got to get some clips up here! They will suit the pop-punk or whatever it is that you play.
I highly recommend it.
Quote by Highwaytohell
No

AVTs are hybrids, and they sound kind of crappy

To the guy who said MESAs are not used for metal... WHAT?! Dude get me some of that **** your smoking right now Like every amp other than the Stiletto Ace and the MK1 reissue is a metal amp. GAWD!

you do not need a halfstacks, seeing as most halfstacks under a grand are ****

A classic 30 would suit you nicely, They can DO metal easily with an Overdrive. God i've got to get some clips up here! They will suit the pop-punk or whatever it is that you play.
I highly recommend it.

All these amp recommendations are a tad bit overpriced when I go look for prices, ugggh I can't decide >:[
Mesa Boogies aren't metal? John Petrucci and Metallica beg to differ. Neither used rectifiers early on either.
Gibson.
Old Peaveys- the butcher, triumph, and ultra series are all excellent amps (essentially earlier forms of todays XXX).
Quote by occub
not really metal amps? you dont know your amps very well do you?

haha, are you kidding me? Lets see, non metal Mesa Boogie users.

Santana (MKI)
Weezer (MKI)
The Special Goodness (MKI reissue)

MKI IS NOT A METAL AMP, did you read what I wrote or are you just that ignorant?

Other Mesa Boogie non-metal users. Bad Religion, Foo Fighters, John Fogerty, Maroon 5, P-Funk, Green Day, Joe Perry used Mesa Boogies....

There are plenty of bands that use them that are not metal.

And to the ignorant comment later in this thread:

"Mesa Boogies aren't metal? John Petrucci and Metallica beg to differ. Neither used rectifiers early on either."

OMG, two artists used non rectifier Mesa Boogies so they must all only be used for metal. How many metal bands use Marshalls? Can you only use Marshalls for metal?

The Mesa Boogie MKI came out in 1969, it is not a metal amp
Quote by eurotrashed
haha, are you kidding me? Lets see, non metal Mesa Boogie users.

Santana (MKI)
Weezer (MKI)
The Special Goodness (MKI reissue)

MKI IS NOT A METAL AMP, did you read what I wrote or are you just that ignorant?

Other Mesa Boogie non-metal users. Bad Religion, Foo Fighters, John Fogerty, Maroon 5, P-Funk, Green Day, Joe Perry used Mesa Boogies....

There are plenty of bands that use them that are not metal.

And to the ignorant comment later in this thread:

"Mesa Boogies aren't metal? John Petrucci and Metallica beg to differ. Neither used rectifiers early on either."

OMG, two artists used non rectifier Mesa Boogies so they must all only be used for metal. How many metal bands use Marshalls? Can you only use Marshalls for metal?

The Mesa Boogie MKI came out in 1969, it is not a metal amp

We thought you were talking about ALL the mesa boogie amps. The mark 1 isn't you are correct. but alot of metal players use their other ones ...

Sheesh

TS-we're just giving you options within your budget range.
And do realize, amps can get expensive, but this is because they may be higher quality than other ones.
I still recommend you look at the Peavey Classic 30, it's well within your budget.
You can find some great deals if you look on craigslist.
Where do you live ?
Quote by Highwaytohell
We thought you were talking about ALL the mesa boogie amps. The mark 1 isn't you are correct. but alot of metal players use their other ones ...

Sheesh

Any MK series Mesa is good for non-metal

Mesa boogie .50 caliber is good for non-metal

Mesa Boogie Lonestar, ha, try playing metal on that.

I personally would never buy a dual recto for what I play but there are plenty of people that do.
Quote by eurotrashed

you're an idiot.... you said MESA's dont do metal. Just because Weezer/Bad Religion isnt "metal" music dosent mean you couldnt take their amp and twist some EQ knobs and get a metal sound knucklehead. You're ignorant and Ive had it with this place, bunch of living room legends not even out of high school that know everything, enjoy your MG, amp expert.
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Why don't you just get the 40w 1x12 Spider Valve combo? It's like $650 new, and the tubes give it a more organic sound coupled with their modeling technology, so it's versatile and sounds pretty good.

There are better, but at least you get TONS of versatility.

Just my 2 cents.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Peavey XXX would be awesome for you.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
I love how people take words out of each other's mouths and then call them morons for things they didn't say

The Spider Valve combos are overpriced imo, there are some much better options for the price point.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Highwaytohell

Sheesh

TS-we're just giving you options within your budget range.
And do realize, amps can get expensive, but this is because they may be higher quality than other ones.
I still recommend you look at the Peavey Classic 30, it's well within your budget.
You can find some great deals if you look on craigslist.
Where do you live ?

South SOUTH SOUTH texas....about 20 min away from the border lol.
San Antonio is about 4 hours away, Austin is 7 hours =/. Not really any major city close by
Quote by Nite_storm
San Antonio is about 4 hours away, Austin is 7 hours =/. Not really any major city close by

So you don't live near any city?
What is the name of your town than?
are you on the east or western side of southern texas...
Quote by Highwaytohell
So you don't live near any city?
What is the name of your town than?
are you on the east or western side of southern texas...

Lol McAllen, Texas
Page 1 of 2