Is it safe? I'm really cautious about ordering online because you don't really SEE the physical guitar. Does it just come in the case? Or is it in a box? I really have no idea.
I havent yet, but i might in the future. Depends on funds really, and id prefer to buy when i can see it. If i do buy online im gonna check the returns policy very, very carefully though.

I imagine it'll come in a box, unless advertised a coming in a case. Email them if unsure.
It will say if it comes in a case or is just boxed. I've ordered all of my guitars online, at least the guitar you buy is brand new unlike the music shops :P But, it is a good idea to find the guitar you want in a shop or a similar first, just to try it out.
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Depends where you get it. As for safe, make sure you buy from a place that has a decent reputation for selling guitars. Check if the site has an ebay store, and their seller rating. But for most, you're covered against shipping damage.

As for not SEEing the guitar, make sure you try out the guitar and know the exact model before you buy online (unless you're going custom). That's what I'm doing, since you get cheaper prices that way. But certain guitars (like Mim strats) have a substantial amount of lemons, so for something like that you want to buy in store.
I've bought 2 guitars from the internet, one was from a dealer [GAK] and it came through in like 2 days without a hitch.

The 2nd which is actually one of the best guitars i've ever played
[Ibanez J custom 1702] I got off ebay from a guy in Japan... and that came in about the same time although you get busted on the shipping fees [extra 150 quid!]

I think it comes down to buying from a recognized supplied [thomann, gak, andertons] I'm not sure about American sites , sorry >.< Just to be sure and have a guarantee!
I ordered my guitar online and it was in its case and the case was wrapped in foam and put in a box.

The only problem was that there was a crack in the lacquer finish where the tailpiece was screwed in. I told them and they sent me a new guitar and i got to keep the damaged one to play.

So id say its safe
Quote by farcry
the first time I've ever been sigged, and it had to be about a butthole. My dad would be proud.
I've ordered a couple. In general, I know pretty well what I'm going to be getting as far as an instrument in terms of build quality, features, playability, feel, sound before I order, typically resorting to online for soemthing I can't readily get locally, but that I'm familiar with.

Individual vendors will vary (and buyer beware with ebay) but in general I'd say if you're buying a new porduct from a reputable online dealer, you'll probably get the product (best case) as they got it from their distributor, which is to say, no additional tweaking or setup. Probably no inspection, but in the original carton with the original accessories and paperwork. Worst case, you could be getting a returned item that may be missing minor knick knacks or paperwork if the dealer is not reputable. When you buy used, such as on ebay, what you get is based entirely on the scruples of the seller. The item may be exactly as described, or may be significantly damaged or less than fully functional. YOu may or may not get all the case candy that came with the guitar. There are some really good folks out there and there are some real scumbags. Be advised though, that typically, manufacturer's warranties typically only apply to the original owner. When you see the price on a new guitar, remember that some of that cost is the cost of warranty. Personally I think it's absurd when I see a enw production guitar selling on a place like ebay for new guitar cost as 9 tiems out of 10, that person is not a manufacturer authorized warranty repair center.

Keep a cool head, do your research (product and seller), shop around, and try not to buy on impulse. Steer away from vendors without an agreeable return policy and from individuals (when buying used) who post stock photos from catalogs rather than actual photos of the product being sold (the more the better as they'll give oyu a good idea of cosmetic condition although thye won't telly ou a thing about playability or sound).
Quote by pnkrockfishermn
I ordered my guitar online and it was in its case and the case was wrapped in foam and put in a box.

The only problem was that there was a crack in the lacquer finish where the tailpiece was screwed in. I told them and they sent me a new guitar and i got to keep the damaged one to play.

So id say its safe

Who was this you ordered from?
now i buy all my stuff online(except the pod x3l i just got today cause they had the 15 percent off in store) you generally find them cheaper than in store due to the fact that they don't have to pay store property tax and such.

so far i bought
1 gibson sg standard
1 gibson les paul classic
1 gibson les paul standard
1 gibson les paul classic antique
1 fender 57 strat
1 hughes and kettner switchblade+triamp mkI
1 diezel herbert

out of all of them only the switchblade footswitch was DOA(dead on arrival)
now its almost impossible to scam on ebay since you have to verify so much crap just to have your item listed. in fact im still waiting for my buyer to leave me a positive feedback so ebay can let me withdraw the payment.
Now I only have one guitar, but it seems like I will have to order online in the future, since the only guitar shop near me has about 3 left handed guitars. I'm pretty much screwed. :\