I want to start writing some meldoic metal riffs similar to in flames(think jester race), children of bodom, anterior etc what scales should i be looking at using?
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
thanks for the reply i know next to no scales normally play randomly till i find something good, any links to said scales? is that all i will need?
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
harmonic minor, natural minor, phrygian harmonic minor (jewish or spanish-gypsy), phrygian, i like to use dorian. very sad and mellow but still great for metal!
Quote by Syn_66
thanks for the reply i know next to no scales normally play randomly till i find something good, any links to said scales? is that all i will need?

Read the main theory sticky and start learning music theory. It will help you more than you could imagine. We are here to help you learn.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Syn_66

In that case you really need to spend some time learning about scales - it's not simply a case of "here's a tab, now I can use a scale".

Have a read of Josh Urban's Crusade articles oin the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn major scale harmony. There is absolutely no point in you heading off and learning Phrygian etc without understanding major scale harmony and modes.
Andy