What does kirk hammet use to get that tone, it amazing, perfect combination of mids and highs.

its like satriani's earlier tone but a little beefier.

i need

-pups
-amp head

thanks
He did a lot of the black album on a plexi, but that sure as hell dont sound like a plexi, sounds to me like a mesa, around that time they were slaving mesa heads with marshalls, maybe you could try a brit voiced high gain amp?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
ya know, it kinda sounds like a highly driven laney but it doesnt saound like a mesa at all to me, thats why im so confused. it sounds like a marshall or soldano maybe, i just cant tell.
Quote by Gargantuan
Alot of his tone comes from EMG pickups.

did he use them back in the late 80's/early 90's?
nah, it's higher gain than a jcm800, but it doesnt have a mesa's compressed sound, thats why im thinking it's a slave of the two
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by R.D
nah, it's higher gain than a jcm800, but it doesnt have a mesa's compressed sound, thats why im thinking it's a slave of the two

what do you mean slave? ive never heard of that term before.
They used rack unit gear and layered several guitars on top of each other in the recording, good luck.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1429127

there's an explenation,

it's basicly runing the preamp of one amp into the power amp of another amp.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by occub
They used rack unit gear and layered several guitars on top of each other in the recording, good luck.

holy ****, are you serious?

well, ill just keep trying to find that tone i guess, thanks.
yeah, but they get a similar tone live, so, it'll be in their rack,

try running a mesa preamp into a marshall power amp with a tiny bit of delay in it, that will get you bloody close
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson RD Artist

Amps:

Framus Cobra

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Quote by All_Bodies

You can find it, it might not be spot on exact but if it sounds good to you then let the chords fly. I can get a very good Black Album sound out'a my Recto.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by R.D
yeah, but they get a similar tone live, so, it'll be in their rack,

try running a mesa preamp into a marshall power amp with a tiny bit of delay in it, that will get you bloody close

Provided you have EMG 81's yes it will.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For live concerts Kirk and James use Mesa Pre-amps into Marshall Power amps/speakers.

Which makes both companies mad, I'm sure.
Quote by thrasher_s
For live concerts Kirk and James use Mesa Pre-amps into Marshall Power amps/speakers.

Which makes both companies mad, I'm sure.

If it really made both companies mad then they would have discontinued all their preamps and power amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
If it really made both companies mad then they would have discontinued all their preamps and power amps.

It makes them mad because they don't get to say that Metallica uses their amps exclusively, unlike EMG, because everbody but Lars, for obvious reasons, uses EMG's.
Quote by All_Bodies

Yeah, the black album was the first time they brought in that producer who did like, white snake or something. I remember watching some VH1 show and they were talking about how when metallica heard how big they sounded they wanted that producer. Basically they did a whole bunch of studio magic to get their tones. I think its far to say Metallica has one of the most expansive collections of amps and other goods that affect tone in modern music.

That said, cant go wrong with a Mesa, specifically Mark IIc+ or IV
Quote by A-5best
Yeah, the black album was the first time they brought in that producer who did like, white snake or something. I remember watching some VH1 show and they were talking about how when metallica heard how big they sounded they wanted that producer. Basically they did a whole bunch of studio magic to get their tones. I think its far to say Metallica has one of the most expansive collections of amps and other goods that affect tone in modern music.

That said, cant go wrong with a Mesa, specifically Mark IIc+ or IV

It's kirk's retarded amp collection that gets him the tones. They layer hardcore though....

He will literally play the same song on 14 different amps, and pick which ones sound best and biggest together... nothing wrong with that... just when it comes to reproducing studio exact live...it's a bitch....
Quote by occub

Even Metallica have never found that tone since, studio or live! hahaha

It is nigh on impossible to achieve.

So closest you can get is Bass 10, Mids 2, Treb 10..........