Page 1 of 2
I mean, you could reach really badass arpeggios with it, play the same note in different octaves, and play scales you probably couldn't do with your left (right for you lefties) hand.

so why is it shunned?
because I was outlining a chord progression using tapping, and my teacher said that it was tastless and if I wanted to be on stage, I'd have to try sweeping.
Quote by AvengedFoghat
because I was outlining a chord progression using tapping, and my teacher said that it was tastless and if I wanted to be on stage, I'd have to try sweeping.

Tapping isn't tasteless...It's just that sweeping is a million times more tasteful...But yeah, your teacher sounds like an asshole.
Quote by AvengedFoghat

Was it a jazz teacher or something? I've never heard anybody say that it would be tasteless; it's done (as I'm sure you know) quite a bit.
this is the first I've heard about tapping being "shunned"
maybe people shun bad tapping, but that's just because it sounds awful
I think you just need to use it creatively. Only so often can you get away with 3 note tapping, unless it's as epic as Power Rangers.
Your username is a retarded hybrid.

Now, onto the actual thread, i think its because most people think a whole solo can be diff tapping motions and it gets kinda bland
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Dunno. About what your guitar teacher said, it doesn't really make a difference.

Eg; Michael Angelo Batio's "Tribute to Randy". He plays an arpeggio by tapping, or maybe it was just on one hand.... point is that it sounded like he was sweeping it but it was all on the B (or G) string. Since sweeping's harder to pull off (no pun intended), I guess that's why your teacher would want you to learn it as opposed to tapping arpeggios. Then again, it doesn't really matter....
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Personal preference?
I know that a lot of people think tapping makes them good, which might be why.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by AvengedFoghat
I mean, you could reach really badass arpeggios with it, play the same note in different octaves, and play scales you probably couldn't do with your left (right for you lefties) hand.

so why is it shunned?

Mainly because it sounds like shit.
Quote by NigelLawless

All tapping sounds like shit? You state this like it's a fact.

Everybody listen to Mozart's post here.
Quote by :-D
All tapping sounds like shit? You state this like it's a fact.

Notice the first word of my post:

MAINLY

Mainly. But you're a very funny guy I must admit, your little Mozart quip was absolutely sidesplitting.
Quote by NigelLawless

everyone has their own opinion. don't force it on others
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

OHH! You were being sarcastic!

I've been looking up and down this whole thread for 5 minutes looking for someone with a username with "Mozart" in it...sad:
Quote by The.new.guy
OHH! You were being sarcastic!

I've been looking up and down this whole thread for 5 minutes looking for someone with a username with "Mozart" in it...sad:

I think that sums it up.
because musical opinion nowadays come from 99% of hearsay circulated by all these cunnts who all say "ZOMG EDDIE VAN HALENZ IZ OLDZ AND I DONT LIKE ANYTHING MY FWENDS DONT LIKEZ BECAUSE IM A CUNNTz LOOLZ"what i mean is mate,dont let anyone elses opinion effect yours in any way just tell them to eat horse schlong,im fukking serious when i say circulated hearsay because **** like that is actually taken into consideration as opinion of real fans and its not right all these trend following losers who flame things because thier little "fwends" do need to get an actual life.

/serious rant
you need a better teacher that is all

fire him now!!!!!

he is an idiot
song stuck in my head today

Quote by AvengedFoghat
oh yeah, I also want to say that he also said that since I had a floyd rose, I couldn't play properly.

he said you wouldn't be able to play properly with a floyd rose? was he being specific?

while a floyd rose might make bending a little more difficult, it allows for many additional techniques to be incorporated into your playing. for an example. check out Mattias Ia Eklundh
Eh, it's probably abused a bit much. It is good to learn sweeping, but I don't think your teacher should limit you to it.
maybe because sweeping is harder.

anybody can really tap and make it sound good.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
There are some arpeggios that you can't sweep, so tapping is a good solution to that. Can't really think of a technique that is useless if you incorporate it correctly into your playing. Hell, even the floyd rose can be sweet even if you don't play Slayer-like solos. Even jazz playing with a whammy could be cool.

Probably your teacher is an "absolute" kind of person. Don't take him too seriously. Actually don't take anyone seriously Develop your personal style and have fun, that's what it's all about.
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Well tapping is a overused technique by many young guitarists who are using it just to show-off. But, of course, you can use in a good or bad way.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
What the hell. There's no such thing as a bad technique. It's only bad if it's overused.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Whether it's tasteless is down to how it's used, and even then it's a matter of opinion. A lot of people think too much sweeping is tasteless. Also a matter of opinion.
Honestly, I'd think about getting a different teacher. Part of a teacher's job is to open your mind to new possibilities, not try to close it by writing off an entire technique as "tasteless".
I find tapping, as well as sweeping, are usually done tastelessly. It's ok to do it for a bar or two of a solo, but people usually seem to do it just to show off. They're both just arpeggio patterns, which usually aren't melodic.
Get a new teacher.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by werty22
I find tapping, as well as sweeping, are usually done tastelessly. It's ok to do it for a bar or two of a solo, but people usually seem to do it just to show off. They're both just arpeggio patterns, which usually aren't melodic.

Arpeggios are "broken chords", a chord is constructed from the intervals of a scale, when played simultaneously we refer to them as harmonic intervals, if they're played sequentially they're referred to as melodic intervals.

So let's get this stratight, you're saying that arepeggios aren't melodic although they are, by definition, composed of melodic intervals?

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Was it a jazz teacher or something? I've never heard anybody say that it would be tasteless; it's done (as I'm sure you know) quite a bit.
That's even worse! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

I'm just kidding. We all know of this amazing exception.

But, yeah. A lot of people that just want to sound really fast will tap stuff (I'll admit to doing it. Hell my improv for the MT jam did it )

TS, props for doing a chord progression with tapping. That's like the weird crap I do (mainly because I've never had a teacher or another guitar player around me to influence my decisions by saying things like "tasteless". Do whatever you want and keep makin music
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Any player who neglects another way of acheiving more sonic possibilities on Guitar, is not just a prude, but a stubborn idiot.
Quote by AvengedFoghat

so why is it shunned?

it's not. Some people are just self righteous opinionated idiots...... thats their problem though. I love tapping.
shred is gaudy music
Page 1 of 2