If i have a 400 watt head is it safe to connect 2 cabinets that aren't rated at 400 watts to it? For example a 4 x 10 rated at 400 watts and a 1 x 15 rated at 300 watts. Or should both cabinets be rated at 400 watts for everything to run safely and most efficiently?
PRS Custom 24
PRS Singlecut Trem
Epiphone ES-355
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone Firebird
Fender Stratocaster
As long as the cabs have the same impedance, they will be given an equal wattage that is half of the amp's output. Assuming it's a 4-ohm amp and two 8-ohm cabs (or a 2-ohm head and two 4-ohm cabs), they will both receive 200 watts. So yes, they will be fine.

What amp and cabs are we talking about?
Nope, no sig here.
I've been considering buying a Nemesis RS-400, and I've just been looking into different cabinets to hook up to it, so no cabinets in particular. Just been browsing musicians friend wondering about it.
PRS Custom 24
PRS Singlecut Trem
Epiphone ES-355
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone Firebird
Fender Stratocaster
Quote by u2addict
If i have a 400 watt head is it safe to connect 2 cabinets that aren't rated at 400 watts to it? For example a 4 x 10 rated at 400 watts and a 1 x 15 rated at 300 watts. Or should both cabinets be rated at 400 watts for everything to run safely and most efficiently?

The ratings on many cabs are usualy a rough guide and often misleading, you will find 'music power', continuous power, programme power, Rms.

You could connect two different brand 4x12s and find one to be louder than the other because the speakers are more efficient and not that it is receiving more power.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
whats the difference between 'music power', continuous power, programme power, Rms.
i know RMS is root mean squared which means the eqivilent power supplied from a DC source..
but what are the rest??
The rest aren't really important, it's RMS that you're interested in. Though i'm not too sure what the rest mean, though i am pretty sure that in this instance RMS doesn't stand for root mean square

EDIT: i just found this wiki article
Last edited by budget bassist at Nov 29, 2008,
the RMS watts is the RMS voltage x RMS current, im certain thats what it is cos i just did that in AS electronics few weeks ago.
so RMS definatly means Root Mean Square.
Last edited by jb_reborn at Nov 29, 2008,
RMS is the most defining method of rating a speaker handling power, but remember in the case of a loudspeaker it is handling power not output.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Two 8-ohm cabs would go with that head. At least 200W handling each, but more is always better...I'd go at least 250W each to be safe.
Nope, no sig here.
thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
PRS Custom 24
PRS Singlecut Trem
Epiphone ES-355
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone Firebird
Fender Stratocaster