Just curious because I never really looked into it but what are some of the differences between the old Jackson guitars and new Jacksons nowadays that are made since Jackson was bought by fender?

Never liked fenders...grrr...but I'm set on my next guitar being a Jackson (SL3 soloist namely).

Differences?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
not really sure but i hate fenders, and i have a new jackson dk2m which is my favorite guitar, so i wouldn't worry too much about it
Quote by jake911
iirc, some of the 90's jacksons had really crappy trems.

So is it safe to say Jackson is better off now that Fender has taken over?

And I'd lol if that is true.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
well some say quality dropped off slightly in the really high end jackson stuff after fender took over...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
I used a Jackson from the late 90s for a while there, dunno if fender had taken over or not, but it's pretty good, only a low end one though, so not the best to go by.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quoted from someone who knows about Jacksons (at least more than I do):
Quote by CJRocker

Fender has brought QC up. Real Duncans, Active EMGs, better hardware materials, and have fought to try and bring the Custom Shop quality back up. and I have NEVER heard of J/C screwing someone over with warranty work. Hell, a guy on the JCF got his guitar replaced and was the second owner. A totally new instrument. The only other company with that kind of commitment to their product I know of is Carvin. No, the lame ducks of Jackson, at least import wise, are the Akai era ones. The USAs were still nice, but they ran the shop into the ground and it was Fender that felt the effects of that.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
get a dean
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Quote by saitenslayer
get a dean

-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by saitenslayer
get a dean

not a good idea...

The trems on most of the pro series were CRAP (pot metal knife edges, badbadbad) before fender came in and put hardened steel baseplates on (goodgoodgood). they could use a sharpening though, to really get the trem to respond.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by oneblackened
not a good idea...

I generally am not a fan of the deans I've tried. Idk you can just FEEL the difference when you pick up like a mid end dean and then play a mid end Jackson or ESP.

And yes I know you can't really be on an end of you're in the middle but sometimes if you're cool enough you can just tell the rules to go **** itself.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet

L.M.F.A.O.

that is AWESOME man!

I played an older Jackson guitar, it was pretty nice... but the owner (my uncle) is a guitar tech so he could make any PoS shine. Srry if my input is not that helpful.

Playing newer Jacksons, they're nice guitars. Compared to the one from the 90s I'd weigh them about even.
Quote by Superstrat101
L.M.F.A.O.

that is AWESOME man!

I played an older Jackson guitar, it was pretty nice... but the owner (my uncle) is a guitar tech so he could make any PoS shine. Srry if my input is not that helpful.

Playing newer Jacksons, they're nice guitars. Compared to the one from the 90s I'd weigh them about even.

How so?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Look at some of the other companies that have been bought out since their inception and you can see a trend in quality. Hamer, BC Rich, Charvel, Steinberger, Dean, and now Jackson. Out of all of these comanies, their early guitars you can't touch under a few grand. There isn't a strong market for companies to mass produce high quality instruments like these companies were famous for. Take Dean for example. Up until the late 80's everything was handmade in Chicago. Even the necks were completely handshaped. Today this would cost too much and wouldn't be a viable option for mass production like it was in the 80's.

Somone said something about the Floyd's having a potmetal baseplate? The baseplates couldn't have been made from potmetal since it's not used for wear applications and it has a very low hardness. The only thing different between the early LFRs from Jackson and the newer ones is the shape of the valley on the posts, not the materials used. Also, LFRs can't have case-hardened pivot points. That's one of the patents that Mr. Rose didn't lend out
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by jake911
iirc, some of the 90's jacksons had really crappy trems.

I once owned an '89 USA Jackson Soloist with Jackson pickups and Jackson LFR. I loved that guitar for many reasons....

-but-

My brand new Japanese made Jackson Soloist SL2H with OFR and Duncans plays so much better. It even sounds better. Don't even mention USA quality control vs. Japanese here, because in my case, my new Solist is flawless. I fought with the action on my old USA model constantly. No contest.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
My 04 USA Jackson had a twisted neck. Took 3 years of fighting fender before they replaced it. Thanks McD if your watching.
So as a whole, what was/is better.

Older Jacksons or Newer Jacksons?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
The USAs are still made in the same factory by the same people. The SL3 is killer.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Quoted from someone who knows about Jacksons (at least more than I do):

I need to make a clarification on that one though... Jackson did that warranty work under the original owners name (just out right replaced the guitar IIRC). In general, the San Dimas are worth a lot more than the others, but you can still get a plain jane Jackson for between $700-$1000 if you wait for one. The 2D graphics tend to go for more. High end jobs by Mike Learn or Dan Lawrence can go for a lot. The Fender-era are feeling the effects of what happened under Akai ownership in that the company more or less had stopped aging well. Quality has rebounded lately though it seems.

I would say in terms of quality, San Dimas, Ontario, and then Corona/Fender, but all great guitars. I would say the San Dimas are far and away the most collectible though, but that only bears fruit if it is an unusual guitar or a graphic, otherwise it only matters to Jackson people. A lot of people though say one plays just as good as the other, but the value/prestige at least is biased towards the earlier ones. I've played mainly Fender era ones and found them amazing guitars.

FWIW, the import baseplate material and/or manufacturer of the JT580 has changed a lot over the years. I think for awhile there were two vendors. The early 90s Takeuchi are far and away the best, some saying they are near the quality of the JT590s made by Schaller. Now, the Pro/MG series 580s have slightly better baseplate materials, with the JS and X being cheaper. The JT570s (Schaller) and JT500 (unknown vendor) were junk from being poorly made. The newer, high end imports (SL2, RR3, RR5FR) all have Korean Floyds (as do the new production Charvels) but they are made of the same materials... jury is out on quality.