I'm wanting to either record music into my computer without going through a mic. This means either plugging into my camera, which has an 1/8" A/V input/output (plugging my ipod into it didn't work so I don't know what will), or plugging directly into the 1/8" or stereo or digital audio inputs on my computer.

You may think "well that should be no problem" and it would be if these various problems did not come up:
1) I have no money and I'm very stingy with the money I do save up.
2) Related to #1, I don't own any recording equipment/mixers/etc.

I realize I can get a 1/4" to 1/8" converter, which I probably will end up doing so that I can plug my guitar into the computer.

Ok. So. Here are some tangible questions that have somewhat of a direction to them: My bass amp has an XLR output. Why exactly is it XLR and not 1/4"? If I get converters from XLR to 1/4" to 1/8" or plug from XLR output to XLR input on a mixer and then into my computer am I going to get quality sound? With this M-Audio Fast Track USB thing which I'm thinking of getting (http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOFASTTRACK) can I plug my bass amp into the XLR input, or should I reserve that only for mics? Also do you think I could plug that into my camera or only the computer?

And also, what are your thoughts on recording through the camera?
Last edited by food1010 at Nov 29, 2008,