Does it make any sense to use an overdrive on a clean channel of a tube amp? Does the Blues screamer work for that or is a Danelectro fine.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
yes, OD work fine on the clean channel. Your best bet would be to use it just a boost though
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
yes it makes total sense.. that's what OD is supposed to do.. get a tube screamer, that's made for tube amps.

IMO - don't use a blues driver or danelectro because they simulate the sounds of an overdriven amp and don't actually push a tube amp
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
you also might look at a Digitech Bad Monkey. does basically the same thing as a tubescreamer, but it's cheaper.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Which danelectro are you talking about? The FAB's are quite lame (although cheap as dirt), but their Cool Cat overdrives are quite nice (IMO).
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

IMO - don't use a blues driver or danelectro because they simulate the sounds of an overdriven amp and don't actually push a tube amp

Which is exactly what any overdrive pedal does; emulates an overdriven tube amp. Nothing is being pushed. If the intent of an overdrive pedal was to only push the tubes harder there would be no need for any clipping inside the circuit and in the end there would be no need for a drive knob on the pedal. Sure some overdrive pedals can be used as a boost by turning the drive knob down and volume up, but any pedal that can get above unity gain can be used for a boost.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Which is exactly what any overdrive pedal does; emulates an overdriven tube amp. Nothing is being pushed. If the intent of an overdrive pedal was to only push the tubes harder there would no need for any clipping inside the circuit and in the end there would no need for a drive knob on the pedal. Sure some overdrive pedals can be used as a boost by turning the drive knob down and volume up, but any pedal that can get above unity gain can be used for a boost.

Thank you. This is absolutely true and hopefully people will read this and understand that the point of overdrive pedals is not to boost already overdriven amps, we have clean boosts for that, and they do a much better job of it than ODs do. And hopefully it will also dispel the myth that ODs sound like crap with solid state amps.
Quote by al112987
Thank you. This is absolutely true and hopefully people will read this and understand that the point of overdrive pedals is not to boost already overdriven amps, we have clean boosts for that, and they do a much better job of it than ODs do. And hopefully it will also dispel the myth that ODs sound like crap with solid state amps.

What would be an example of a clean boost?

When would be okay to use an OD pedal then?
Quote by al112987

That's not to say that it doesn't sound pretty cool (minus some hum), right?
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Quote by al112987

They sound like crap with modeling amps like MG's and Spiders when using multiple effects with the OD at the same time (i.e. reverb, delay, tremelo and OD at same time) like some noobs like to do. OD's really sound good with cubes though, not gonna lie.
Indeed

I was speaking in reference to tube amps though, I should have made that clearer
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Quote by Idiosyncracy
That's not to say that it doesn't sound pretty cool (minus some hum), right?

It depends. I prefer to use a clean boost over an overdrive to boost an amp's signal because overdrives tend to color the tone a little too much for my tastes and sometimes mud up the signal more than I'd like. But in general I don't really use boost pedals much, I'm usually ok with my amp's own overdrive and gain (I'm not a high gain type of player), but will use an OD if I don't feel like turning my amp to 10 (no master volume).

To the guy two posts up, I agree that some external effects don't play nice with onboard effects in modeling amps, but my main issue is when people say that ODs don't work with solid state amps because they cause the amps to clip, which I always 'lol' at.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by al112987
It depends. I prefer to use a clean boost over an overdrive to boost an amp's signal because overdrives tend to color the tone a little too much for my tastes and sometimes mud up the signal more than I'd like. But in general I don't really use boost pedals much, I'm usually ok with my amp's own overdrive and gain (I'm not a high gain type of player), but will use an OD if I don't feel like turning my amp to 10 (no master volume).

What is an example of a clean boost pedal? If an OD pedal doesn't provide a clean boost from a tube amp, then what would?
Quote by jarudy
They sound like crap with modeling amps like MG's and Spiders when using multiple effects with the OD at the same time (i.e. reverb, delay, tremelo and OD at same time) like some noobs like to do. OD's really sound good with cubes though, not gonna lie.

MG isn't a modeling amp
^ HBE uno mos? zvex super hard on? electroharmonix lpb1?

whether or not they mess with the tone a little, though, i don't know, i haven't tried all those. but they're technically clean boosts, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use an overdrive on my tube amp on my overdrive channel. Weird i know but it just gives me a little extra gain that i think sounds good.
not really weird, that's fair enough, i think. but you're getting a bit of dirt/clipping from the pedal too, most likely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ninjafingers
you also might look at a Digitech Bad Monkey. does basically the same thing as a tubescreamer, but it's cheaper.

+1

The BM is a awesome lil fella. I've got a handful of guys around my area playing this thing now. I like the low and high EQ's on it, which come in handy, just minor twists do alot for your tone. Also depending on what genre you are playing, this thing can cover all ground. You can crank the the level, and back off on the gain and use it primarily as a cleaner boost, or keep the level reasonable and really add a layer off nice grit on top of your tone. Me personally, keep the level at about 6-7, and the gain at 3-4, and use it to boost my Bugera 6262 for heavy rhythms and solos.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by al112987
I'd take a Vypyr over a Cube.

I'd take a VT over a Vypyr
so if a use an OD through the clean channel on the tube amp (i dont like the drive on mine) would i get a good GNR sound? or would it be more of a Jimmy page sound.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
^ depends on the overdrive. something like a tubescreamer doesn't have all that much dirt, it's probably going to be more of an SRV sound over the clean channel. a higher gain overdrive (e.g. hbe power screamer- there are probably others too, but i haven't tried them) would probably get you up to g n r, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jericho-79
What is an example of a clean boost pedal? If an OD pedal doesn't provide a clean boost from a tube amp, then what would?

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=clean+boost+pedal,

examples: keeley katana, maxon cp9+ (its a compressor but it can be used as a clean boost),catalinbread serrano picoso/chili picoso, Xotic RC/AC booster, many others.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ProGuitarShopDemos&view=videos

its called "clean" because it doesnt color your tone. for example, a tubescreamer also adds mids.

edit: also, the boost comes from the pedals, not the amp. thats why they are called "clean boosts". of course the boost can push the tubes into overdrive (god, that sounds so cheesy. *pictures han solo* "chewbacca, push the tubes into OVERDRIVE!!!1")
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Last edited by 5th_fret at Dec 3, 2008,
Quote by al112987

Thank you. This is absolutely true and hopefully people will read this and understand that the point of overdrive pedals is not to boost already overdriven amps, we have clean boosts for that, and they do a much better job of it than ODs do. <b>And hopefully it will also dispel the myth that ODs sound like crap with solid state amps.<b>

Thank YOU also. I used to try to emphasize these points, but now the 'ODs only sound great on tube' phrase gets used so much that i don't even bother. Even my bad monkey on an Ibanez 10 watt Toneblaster sounds pretty good for classic rock..
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
also, i use my fulltone Fulldrive II while my blackheart LG is clean to get a good GNR sound. it's not spot on, but realllly close, just missing some added saturation of power tube OD. but then again, the cleans aren't SUPER clean, they're a little warm and have thickness to them, which is what i prefer anyway.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Killswitch engage's guitarists both use an od in front of their dirty channels on their amps.
Mind you these guys are using h&k triamps, so the amp isn't sucky what so ever.

They just like the dirt it adds to the sound.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel