I've been brainstorming all day of things I would love to see in a guitar, so here goes:

I've been thinking of building a guitar, and I want to use Push-Pull pots, where the push/pull activates it's respective pickup., and the knob controls the tone, and volume would be controlled by a dedicated volume pot. Also, LEDs would indicate which pickup is active at the time. Here's an absolutely horrendous diagram. Can this be done?
Last edited by GorillaSalsa at Nov 29, 2008,
possible or not, chances are your a bumbling retard

ADD: where do the LED's fit in?

ADDADD: is it 1 tone/ 1 vol pot? or 2 of each or what?
*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Hale_91
ADD: where do the LED's fit in?

I had imagined drilling holes on both sides of the humbucker (sort of like in the diagram, but the LEDs would be recessed to where they barely poke out.)
Last edited by GorillaSalsa at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by GorillaSalsa
Thank you for your constructive criticism. I'm so glad I can ask an honest question and, with little turnaround, be hostilely trolled for doing so. This place is great!

Don't worry, this guy just doesn't know anything so he had to say something useless

Also be careful when putting push switches like that into a guitar, you need high quality ones, cheap ones will cause a clicking noise which can damage your amp, so you need to find ones that wont be so harsh.

I suppose its possible, I'm too tired to over the complete diagram, but I assume its just 2 separate kill switches for your pickups.

Remember, anythings possible when your a raving lunatic
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
ohh i can see the LEDS in the diagram now lol, just went over my head as if they were like, screws or something

although, i think you should have both LED's up the top of the pickup, as you wont be able to see the red one unless you pick up your guitar (it will be flat against your body after all)
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by GorillaSalsa
I've been brainstorming all day of things I would love to see in a guitar, so here goes:

I've been thinking of building a guitar, and I want to use Push-Pull pots, where the push/pull activates it's respective pickup., and the knob controls the tone, and volume would be controlled by a dedicated volume pot. Also, LEDs would indicate which pickup is active at the time. Here's an absolutely horrendous diagram. Can this be done, or am I a bumbling retard?

Wow, I'm pretty impressed. Wire it up and see if it works!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by GorillaSalsa
Thank you for your constructive criticism. I'm so glad I can ask an honest question and, with little turnaround, be hostilely trolled for doing so. This place is great!
high horse, off NOW.

YOU started it:
Quote by GorillaSalsa
Can this be done, or am I a bumbling retard?

if someone says you are a bumbling retard after you did that yourself, don't call it being hostile trolling.

besides trolling is what people do to attempt to get OTHERS to behave badly.
and it looks like YOU were doing the trolling.

1 - your diagram isn't even close.
2 - it looks like you just put pickups and switches, LEDs and batteries on the frame and connected wires just any old place.
3 - you don't even have controls the way you suggested in your text!

there are not 2 tone controls and a master volume control. you have 2 volume controls an NO tone controls.

STOP TROLLING.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
are they active pickups? i can imagine you want 2 circuits, 1 for the pups (on off) and one for the LED's, but on the same switch.

if one if powered then they cant be on the same circuit?? (maybe)
if it needs to go on 2 different ones (aka, one that is passive, one that isnt)

then do you need a pot that has more than 6 pins?
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by GorillaSalsa

I've been thinking of building a guitar, and I want to use Push-Pull pots, where the push/pull activates it's respective pickup., and the knob controls the tone, and volume would be controlled by a dedicated volume pot. Also, LEDs would indicate which pickup is active at the time. Here's an absolutely horrendous diagram. Can this be done?

do you mean you want 2 circuits, 1 for each pickup? when the push/pull pot is out its on, and in its off? because yes its possible, but it seems silly, as you cant coil tap etc. unless you get a push pull pot for each coil.

its just getting overly complicated like that.

i would have 1 tone and 1 vol. the vol being push/pull, out is neck, in is bridge. then with the LEDs going as well. but as i said, its not versatile
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
high horse, off NOW.

I see your point, posts have been edited. I apologize.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

1 - your diagram isn't even close.

Ok...How?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

2 - it looks like you just put pickups and switches, LEDs and batteries on the frame and connected wires just any old place.

I was trying to go off some of the examples on this site and some of the diagrams on Seymour Duncan's Site (you'll notice the 9 volt and guitar outputs came from SD's diagrams, the volume pot came from the 1728.com site, and the push-pull pots came from here. I'm very new to this, and sincerely did the best I could.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

3 - you don't even have controls the way you suggested in your text!

there are not 2 tone controls and a master volume control. you have 2 volume controls an NO tone controls.

The push-pull pots are supposed to be tone controls, i.e. these, and now that I see it, I did add a second volume control (I copied the bottom from the top and meant to edit the 2nd volume out, but obviously didn't).

Sorry.
Okay...I've been thinking it over, and I guess the thought of not having a pickup selector excited me a little too much...

I still want my LEDs, though, so I'll probably just wire two pickup selectors side beside (1 for pickups, 1 for the LEDs), and power those through a 9v...
GorillaSalsa, I think your diagram would work. In fact I'm pretty 90% sure.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster