Hey everyone. I was wondering if a chromatic tuner pedal actually needs to be included in a pedalboard.

Look at this pedalboard-

And look at this pedalboard-

Why might one include a tuner pedal (like the Boss TU-2) in his rig, while another leaves it out?

If a professional guitarist (like U2’s The Edge) on stage changes guitars between each song, he doesn’t really need a tuner pedal. Right?
If you can't tune by ear it is very necessary.
well if someone was playing 20 songs and changed guitars for each songs he is a nut.
and your guitar could go out of tune which would suck.
Maybe he wants to make sure the guitar he will use is in tune in between songs, or does he have 10,15,20 guitars for playing live?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Are you saying The Edge of U2 is crazy for changing guitars while live on stage?

I'm assuming that professional guitarists like The Edge have a tech to tune their guitars in between songs.
I think the multi-effects in the 2nd pic has a built in tuner, or else the tuner is on the rack/amp. The tuner is essential and can never be left out, unless you have a handheld tuner or something...
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
"I was wondering if a chromatic tuner pedal actually needs to be included in a pedalboard."

In my opinion, yes.

Its near impossible to tune at times in a noisy gig.
Or just tell em to be quiet for a sec so you can tune, but drunk people don't always listen.
haha
Its not one of those things you cant live without. Nice to have but you gotta spend some money on a good one.
Quote by Darkice
Um yeah If I was at a concert and the guitarist changed guitars every song for like 20-30 songs I would be like WTF then most likely laugh

Its not unusual to see a guitarist hand a roadie his guitar and the end of a song and take a different one. Maybe not every song, but every few songs, especially if a song requires a different tuning, a guitarist isn't going to waste time and look stupid trying to go into Drop-D. Small stage lights get pretty hot too, so imagine proper lighting, the heat could cause havoc with tunings and require adjustment after aggressive playing.
A small band isn't going to require a roadie and a rack of guitars, but you will see a guitarist in a pub tuning silently every 2 or 3 songs while the singer makes introductions/small talk.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
yeah sure every few songs but like mostly Ive seen them switch out guitars like 5-8 times maybe not like every song they play.
and a petal tuner is good just to make sure your still in tune, not just to change tuning.
If you're gigging live regularly, a tuner is necessary for tuning before the show and in between sets, but the only reason it needs to be on your board is if your guitar goes out of tune frequently (heavy whammy bar use or you put in new strings without wearing them in beforehand) or if you play long sets (over an hour without a break).
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Just for the record that big thing on the bottom, the Nova System on the second picture, has a tuner in it.......
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
My favorite is Wayne from Static-X. He "changes" guitars to a second one that looks exactly like the first. If you weren't paying attention you'd never even notice lol.

I've seen some bands (Napalm Death) who tune after every song... I think I'd do it if I was playing especially aggressive... but realistically I tune once at the beginning of practice, and then again after my hands have warmed up since physically the strings should have (and usually do) stretch-ed out.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."