Well, it seems that my parents are interested in buying me a new guitar and amp as a graduation present this spring.
However, I'm just not quite sure what to look for.
I'm basically just trying to make a checklist of gear to try out before I make any decisions, so that I don't miss out on something great.

The style I usually play is something along the lines of Radiohead / Modest Mouse / Brand New, however I also enjoy some heavier stuff, and would like to be able to get an ok metal tone (not a major priority) when jamming with some friends.

My budget for a guitar and amp is $1500 EACH, although I may be able to push $2000.
Also, I plan on gigging in the near future, so keep that in mind with the amp recs.
Thanks in advance for any help

EDIT-I forgot, the guitar also needs to come in a left handed model.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by OceanofNoise at Nov 29, 2008,
Amps:
Peavey classic 30 w/ a Metal Muff
ENGL Screamer 50
ENGL Thunder
Bugera 333XL

Guitars:
Schecter c-1 hellraiser fr
Ibanez rg350dx
Jackson DK2M,DKMG
+1 on the Peavey Classic 30.

I played a Fender Highway 1 Strat for an hour today, and it outplayed most other strats I've ever tried, whether vintage, low-end, high-end, custom... etc. And it was NOT expensive. If you can find one with a humbucker in the bridge-- and get used to the instrument-- you'll be able to use it for just about any style you could think of. If you want a Radiohead sound, a Strat will help you out.

With the budget left over you could get some great pedals. I'd recommend a Tubescreamer, a Boss DD-6 delay, and a reliable chorus and/or flange (Ibanez, Boss, Electro-Harmonix, whatever you like).

Another great guitar option is a Godin. A new lower-end Godin will not be expensive and will be a world-class professional guitar that will sound good in many situations, jazz, rock, metal, funk, anything.
Thanks for the suggestions so far
I already own a mexican strat with a stacked single coil in the bridge, and I find it does do radiohead well, and most indie / alternative, but I'm looking for something a bit different I guess.

And I will try the classic 30 out, I've heard good things about them for a while, although I can't help but think that with $1500 for an amp I can't get something better.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
He's got 1500 and you guys are recommending a Classic 30 and a metal muff?
Seriously?
TS do you think if you could spend 2k on an amp and 1k on a guitar?
That will get you better tone.

If not-
I would recommend a Mesa Mark IV combo, perhaps an Orange Rocker 30 combo, I would also recommend a Peavey XXX or a Mesa Stiletto.
That is probably a possibility. The Rocker 30 is already on my list to try, and I will definitely see if i can get my hands on a few mesas to test.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Highwaytohell
He's got 1500 and you guys are recommending a Classic 30 and a metal muff?
Seriously?
TS do you think if you could spend 2k on an amp and 1k on a guitar?
That will get you better tone.

If not-
I would recommend a Mesa Mark IV combo, perhaps an Orange Rocker 30 combo, I would also recommend a Peavey XXX or a Mesa Stiletto.

This man speaks truth. Heck a $500 guitar, through a $2500 amp is probably an even better idea... sure you won't end up with a signature series guitar, but the better the amp better your tone will be.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Yeah, I'm not against doing that at all.
I know how much a good amp can improve your tone, so I'll be looking at a lot of guitars and amps and just doing whatever fits best.
As long as its not much over $3000 in total anything should be doable.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣