I was shopping around a bit for a new guitar today, trying stuff out... I play mostly 80s rock/metal and some new metal/metalcore stuff, along with a little classic rock like Led Zeppelin... Would EMGs, Seymour Duncans, or DiMarzios be better for me? I tried a couple w/ EMGs and one w/ Duncans and they both sounded good in terms of tone but for some reason i couldn't get good pinch harmonics off either, which i was surprised about...
maybe you need to practice how to do a pinch harmonic lol.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
maybe you need to practice how to do a pinch harmonic lol.

definately.
if you cant get a good pinch out of an EMG... just quit.
Personally, I'm a Duncan person. For the "all purpose" pickup, you can't beat the JB in the bridge, Jazz or '59 in the neck.

Problem is, not all pickups are suited to all guitars. Body wood and mounting style are big factors. Duncan's website has a "tone wizard" where you tell it what body style, wood, neck type, pickup config, and music you play and it calculates SUGGESTIONS as to what might work best. They aren't die hard rules...rules can be broken, but you can't guarantee what it will sound like. Duncan doesn't have a return policy, rather a swap deal. If the pickups you choose don't suit you, you can have different ones.

3 of my guitars have the JB/Jazz combo, one has the Distortion (high output) in it, and my LP has EMG's... I save that for the heavy drop D stuff. The 3 with the JB's handle almost everything you described except the metal/metalcore stuff.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Personally, I'm a Duncan person. For the "all purpose" pickup, you can't beat the JB in the bridge, Jazz or '59 in the neck.

Problem is, not all pickups are suited to all guitars. Body wood and mounting style are big factors. Duncan's website has a "tone wizard" where you tell it what body style, wood, neck type, pickup config, and music you play and it calculates SUGGESTIONS as to what might work best. They aren't die hard rules...rules can be broken, but you can't guarantee what it will sound like. Duncan doesn't have a return policy, rather a swap deal. If the pickups you choose don't suit you, you can have different ones.

3 of my guitars have the JB/Jazz combo, one has the Distortion (high output) in it, and my LP has EMG's... I save that for the heavy drop D stuff. The 3 with the JB's handle almost everything you described except the metal/metalcore stuff.

Thanks for the info... I tried out 2 Schecters yesterday... One had EMGs and the other had Duncan Designed pickups, which i'm assuming aren't real Duncans... I couldn't really tell the difference b/w either, both sounded good... I know the best way to compare is to play them on the same amp w/ the same setting but thats tough in a crowded music store. I'll have to go on a day where its not too busy.
Quote by fretboarddragon

A: BS, body and neck woods have absolutely minimal effect on tone. I can't link you to it, but there was a very scientifically handled test that will tell you the same thing.
B: You put the same pickups in three of guitars? Why?

I advise, as always, a good pair of Bare Knuckles. Probably the Miracle Man or Nailbomb.
Uf you can't stretch to that, DiMarzios are the pickups of choice for most 80s hard rock/metal bands, in particular the Super Distortion (or Super 2 or 3), although the Tone Zone is a popular alternative. Something slightly more left field would be the FRED (amazing harmonics), Mo' Joe (same thing but higher output), or the Norton/Air Norton, although they'll all still get a great 80s sound.
Duncans are also good, the JB/Jazz or '59 is still a great combo. The Pearly Gates is GREAT for classic rock and hard rock styles, but I know far less about Duncans than I do DiMarzios or BKPs.
If you have the money, I say get the BKPs. They're gorgeous.