13 52%
Line6 POD x3 live + Tapco Thump active P.A speaker
12 48%
other (please describe)
0 0%
Voters: 25.
HEY!

I'm 16 years old from New zealand!!

I'm wondering what I should get. I play mainly in my bedroom but do occasionally play live.
I'm after a good sound.

So it's between the POD x3 live with 1 tapco thump active P.A speaker and the Bugera 333xl. I've only played the Bugera, and it sounded killer, very crunchy!

I like the idea of recording and this would be really simple with the pod (because it has USB). I could always get an SM57 for example but I don't have anymore money. those 2 setups would cost around the same amount of money.

Which set-up should I get????

Thanks
Henry
I use a Pod X3 Live and a Tapco thump active speaker, what are the chances aye?
It sounds amazing it is the most versatile setup in the world, I used the pod through a Vox AC30 and it didn't sound as good so I bought an active speaker to use with the pod. So far I use it at rehearsals and when playing live I just DI it into the system.

The Pod is by far your best, most versatile option!

EDIT: Also if your mostly playing in a bedroom the tube amp will sound pretty crap in comparison to the pod, the bugera will need to be cranked to sound better than a pod, I have never played with a bugera but have experience with alot of tube amps in my 5 years of playing
GEAR.

Schecter C1 FR Alpine White
Epi SG 310 (Heavily Modded)
Pod X3 Live
Orange AD30TC

YEAH!
Last edited by 13-GUITARIST at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by 13-GUITARIST
I use a Pod X3 Live and a Tapco thump active speaker, what are the chances aye?
It sounds amazing it is the most versatile setup in the world, I used the pod through a Vox AC30 and it didn't sound as good so I bought an active speaker to use with the pod. So far I use it at rehearsals and when playing live I just DI it into the system.

The Pod is by far your best, most versatile option!

SERIOUSLY??? lol cool! Nice set-up!

Can you get that really crunchy sound out of it like? like that Van Halen sound?
Any points you can give me about it??

And does it cut over the mix when playing with a band. and does it not sound muddy compared to a tube amp??

Thanks a lot btw!
Last edited by spaterman at Nov 29, 2008,
i recently got a pod x3 live and it is definitely worth your money. the recording is amazing on this thing. but overall i would definitely go with that set up
Yea? but is it not muddy at all, could you get just a good a sound as the bugera?
i think you can get better sound. haven't played a bugera before but i did used to own a mesa dual rectifier and currently using a diezel herbert. the distortion on the pod x3 live is pretty sick and with the new dual feature it sounds like you are actually in a studio.
Does this speaker need a power amp ?

Edit: I might probably buy one to match whit my pod
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Last edited by Hcmanu at Nov 29, 2008,
I would have to recommend the Bugera. Unlike what that one guy said, it doesn't need to be cranked. It's a high gain amp so you don't want power tube distortion with it. The POD would also be a good idea, it's very versitile, but the Bugera will sound better with the only slightly fewer tones it can get.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Dont really understand why people are recommending a digital modeler over a good tube amp.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by DDoug
I would have to recommend the Bugera. Unlike what that one guy said, it doesn't need to be cranked. It's a high gain amp so you don't want power tube distortion with it. The POD would also be a good idea, it's very versitile, but the Bugera will sound better with the only slightly fewer tones it can get.

hmmm yea but I can't record with the bugera...
Quote by mike.h
Dont really understand why people are recommending a digital modeler over a good tube amp.

because it sounds the same at a very reasonable price. i would choose a pod x3 live or a boss gt10 over a peavey valveking or classic 30 anyday.
Quote by kckyle
because it sounds the same at a very reasonable price. i would choose a pod x3 live or a boss gt10 over a peavey valveking or classic 30 anyday.

What you lose with digital stuff is feel and dynamics.

All you need to record with a tube amp is a decent D.I. box. Shoot...Satrani doesn't even use a mic'd cab in the studio anymore. He uses a Palmer PDI-03. There are others that will work very well too.

The only real advantage with digital stuff is ease of use and maintenance...otherwise...don't buy something that "sounds like" the real thing...Just GET the real thing.
i HAVE the real thing. don't assume i never owned or used a real tube amp before. there is alot of fuzz and static when recording with a tube amp and from where i live you can hear airplanes and car honking in the background. the only way i can think of to avoid that is to record in a glass sealed room which i doubt not everyone has in their room.
Last edited by kckyle at Nov 29, 2008,
A 120w tube amp will do you very little good in your bedroom.

Pod XT/X3 are top of the line modelers, in my opinion. Amazing reproduction capabilities and flexibility.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by BeerChurch

All you need to record with a tube amp is a decent D.I. box. Shoot...Satrani doesn't even use a mic'd cab in the studio anymore. He uses a Palmer PDI-03. There are others that will work very well too.

The only real advantage with digital stuff is ease of use and maintenance...otherwise...don't buy something that "sounds like" the real thing...Just GET the real thing.

Cool. dynamics ay... maybe you're right, I'll have to try the POD though. Whats a D.I?
I see you have the 333xl as well. Hows it going for you? I've heard a lot about it not being reliable. I am definately looking for 'reliable'.

edit:
And would one tapco thump be good for playing live/in my bedroom. What else would I have to buy to play through a P.A? A simple mixer?
Last edited by spaterman at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by spaterman
SERIOUSLY??? lol cool! Nice set-up!

Can you get that really crunchy sound out of it like? like that Van Halen sound?
Any points you can give me about it??

And does it cut over the mix when playing with a band. and does it not sound muddy compared to a tube amp??

Thanks a lot btw!

It defiantly keeps up with the drums and is plenty loud for rehearsals and if it's not loud enough at gigs I use the tapco as my own foldback and run the pod through the system using the L and R XLR's that it has. One thing is though when I was playing a my crappy $500 Epi SG it sounded terrible, but then billy hyde had a doorbuster sale and I picked up a schecter C1 with active pickups for about half price and it sounds incredible! and yes you can get any sound you want out of that your heart could ever desire and does not sound muddy at all. The other day my band played live and it sounded amazing, the pod really sounded nice! and the sound guy was happy because he didn't have to muck around to get me a good sound through front of house it was just plug and play! I also tried some recording, it has no delay and sounds the same as it does coming from the tapco. Sounds better than my friends GT8 and my other friends XT Live, lol,

I can't recommend the pod and the tapco highly enough! just go for it!

EDIT: if it helps, my practice setup goes - Schecter C1-Yamaha 10 Track Mixer-Tapco Thump

The mixer is just there because sometimes I run my electric drums through it aswell. I'm not really a drummer but I find drums fun! especially playing along to some anberlin!
GEAR.

Pod X3 Live
Orange AD30TC

YEAH!
Last edited by 13-GUITARIST at Nov 30, 2008,
Ill have to try it then! thanks for your help.

I just heard that stuff like the POD doesn't have the dynamics of a good tube amp.

what type of music do you play? Do you have any samples?
Quote by BeerChurch

Feels come from playing.

But i agree about the dinamic BUT the modeling is done VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY well and belive me its still dynamic as ****.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Hcmanu
Feels come from playing.

But i agree about the dinamic BUT the modeling is done VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY well and belive me its still dynamic as ****.

True.
I've never played the POD.
The most important thing for me is the distortion. I played on guitar rig 3 at the shop the other day and the distortion sounded very muddy, is this the same with the pod?
Quote by spaterman
True.
I've never played the POD.
The most important thing for me is the distortion. I played on guitar rig 3 at the shop the other day and the distortion sounded very muddy, is this the same with the pod?

hellno.
Sweeet! I don't think they sell the pod here in NZ though yet. Anyone got any good crunchy tones they show me from this thing, like van halen stuff...
trust me you can get any tone out of this. i know i only been using it for 2 days but dam this thing is your key to the universe.
Screw modeling when you can have actual tubes. I went into Guitar Center thinking i was getting a POD X3, then tried a tube amp and bought it. I had the same dillema as you, but when I went in their, I knew what I wanted.
Quote by bulletrocks522
Screw modeling when you can have actual tubes. I went into Guitar Center thinking i was getting a POD X3, then tried a tube amp and bought it. I had the same dillema as you, but when I went in their, I knew what I wanted.

the bugera isn't one of the best amp. a mediocre at most. if it was a choice between a marshall jcm800 than yeah i would definitely recommend the tube amp.
Quote by bulletrocks522

You have to spend at least a few hours setting up some presets and then they sound awesome. Our drummers dad hated multi effects but when he heard my pod he was in love with it. His setup consists of 2 fender tube amps, can't remember which and a full on pedal board with thousands of dollars worth on it!
GEAR.

Pod X3 Live
Orange AD30TC

YEAH!
Well I ended up getting the Bugera. It is definately NOT mediocre... It is great, I tried the POD x3 live, and could just not get a good sound out of it, it looses dynamics.
Well I've been to a gig once where a guy had a POD X3 Pro with some expensive Gibson guitar, and my buddy had his Hughes & Kettner 40W tube amp and MIM Telecaster. The guy with the POD X3 (and PA system) didn't sound all that impressive. It was muddy and didn't really have any character to it. My friend's set up with the H&K 40W tube really stood out and put some nice bluesy stuff (the music they were playing was blues-type stuff). So I'm gonna recommend the Bugera.

EDIT: I see you got the Bugera. Good choice.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by MustangSVT
Well I've been to a gig once where a guy had a POD X3 Pro with some expensive Gibson guitar, and my buddy had his Hughes & Kettner 40W tube amp and MIM Telecaster. The guy with the POD X3 (and PA system) didn't sound all that impressive. It was muddy and didn't really have any character to it. My friend's set up with the H&K 40W tube really stood out and put some nice bluesy stuff (the music they were playing was blues-type stuff). So I'm gonna recommend the Bugera.

EDIT: I see you got the Bugera. Good choice.

lol yea! tube amps FTW