So every time I try out a guitar in a shop the strings feel much tighter, and I find it much harder to do string bends, is it just the gauge of the strings? I think the one's on the guitar I tried out yesterday were 10s and I use 9s, but it should make that much difference should it? Also, when I go back to my guitar the strings do feel way more loose.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!

EDIT:
My guitar is just a cheap squier strat, could that have anything to do with it?
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Last edited by archerygenious at Nov 29, 2008,
Probably a mixture of string guage and scale length. Nothing to worry about.
Unless it's something else.
What guitar were you trying?
An Ibanez SZR520

EDIT: Just checked the scales and my squier is 25.5" and the Ibanez was 24.75"
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

Last edited by archerygenious at Nov 29, 2008,
shorter scale length makes for lower string tension
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It might be your action that you're getting confused with the tension. Most Squiers have high action then most other guitars so you might think that action is like tension.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Shorter scale length means less string tension. Have you downtuned your guitar at all?
Last edited by Spudderz at Nov 29, 2008,
Yeah, I know the action is much lower on my squier, it feels EXTREMELY low after trying out the guitar yesterday. And no, I haven't down tuned it either.

Read this months article on scale length @ GuitarPlayer.com!
Shorter scale equals les tension - longer scale equals greater tension at same pitch.
10's are firmer than 9's and a little harder to bend. Some guitars come with 9's and some with 10's but I think 10's are more prevalent these days.
Moving on.....