I'm having trouble with pegging the names of chords beyond the root, and I came across this chord that I'm hoping someone can help me with. IT's the same finger positioning as an AbMaj7 played on the 1st and 3rd frets, just moved up a whole step. It's an F, I'm sure, but what the hell is it?
The notes in it are: F, Bb, D, A
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by Punkismygod
I'd say it's a Dminadd6

The root is an F, though. How is that possible?
Quote by Punkismygod
The notes that you wrote there would be Dminadd6. But I'm assuming that if it is played same as Abmaj7 and the root is an F it hast to be an Fmaj7 notes F A C E.

Could you write the Chord you mean exactly here?

Or then use this http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php

Says its an A#Maj7, but I could have sworn the root note was an F.

God I need to go back to basics...AGAIN.
what makes you say the root is F?

Bb D F A looks like a Bbmaj7 in 2nd inversion

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I was always under the impression that the first note struck in the chord, or the lowest note, was the root.
Quote by timzee117
what makes you say the root is F?

Bb D F A looks like a Bbmaj7 in 2nd inversion

You got it right, they do see the Bb(A#) as the root, but how? I'm gonna have to look into this.

See, this is what happens when you've played guitar for 13 years with little regard to theory. It's so hard for me to have an ego when other guitarists are like "you're awesome!!" and I'm like "Dude I don't even know my scales.."

Of course, I've learned scales since then, but I still have a long way to go.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
I was always under the impression that the first note struck in the chord, or the lowest note, was the root.

They're what's called inversions. For triads there are 3 ways to play the chords, root position (C E G) 1st inversion (E G C) and then 2nd Inversion (G C E) they're all C major but they're in different inversions. Root position is used more than anything in popular music but when you get into classical, and some jazz you see the other inversions. Root is use most, 2nd inversion is used as leading chords, and 1st is used whenever, maybe to put the 3rd in the bass to make it easier on the bass player.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Yeah I'm still studying on triads. I knew them pretty well, but the inversions are still a little lost on me, which is why I didn't get it. I'm glad someone could peg this chord for me. I wrote a song with this chord in it and the last thing I wanted to do was not know a chord in my own song.