I'm thinking about getting this amp. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055
The one I have is complete **** and I need to move up to something with better quality. I played the 112, but that one was discontinued, and I heard this one is pretty much the same, just one more speaker and louder. But how does it handle distortion? I've heard it's got great cleans just like the 112 and sounds smooth. But would I be able to hookup some pedals without having that annoying popping sound going?
What do you guys think about it?
Quote by die_kenny_die
ate a girl out on her period...

i regret nothing.

I know how to shred paper, does that count?
Really, Only one oppinion?!?!?!
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

No, I actually have a 15watt crate amp now. And the clean on it is fine. But when I add distortion, from the built in or the pedal, I get this popping sound coming for the actual speaker.

It's a crappy amp . . . .
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

I have no idea what the amps preamp is, or what coloration means. And I'm not necessarily concerned with too much volume, I never play to more than 3 people at a time in a pretty small setting. All I do is practice really.

Also, how is the V50 112 louder than the V18 212. The 212 has two speakers, so I figured that would make it louder (Which I'm not really looking for volume) Wouldn't the V50 be lower since it has 1 speaker (It does seem like a better option though see how it's the same price and two channels.)
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

Last edited by bambamm89 at Nov 30, 2008,
once again...have you played through it? do you like the way it sounds better than other amps at the same price range? could you get something that meets your needs better if you saved up another $100?
that's a really good deal for $200. as long as it doesn't break in a week, it sounds like a decent move. that's as cheap as you'll get a tube amp with full eq (not a master tone knob like on the blues jr) unless you buy used.
I played through the 18 not the 50, so I don't necessarily know how it sounds, but from what I've read and heard from others the tone is just as good if not better. I'm a little anxious about buying an amp online, but none of the shops near me will have that amp for that price.
Quote by die_kenny_die

i regret nothing.

well, go in and try it out anyway. you don't have to buy it from the store if you can find it cheaper. but i'd highly recommend trying to haggle a bit. show them that musician's friend has it for that price. they might give you a better deal, or at least match the price. if not, just buy it online. but NEVER buy an amp without hearing what it sounds like. if you're considering the 50, go play it in a store. if you like it, haggle a bit and buy it.