my hand feels really weak alternative picking, which is weird because i can tremolo pick at the speed of light, for hours (without tensing up) but when i try to slow it down, or even do it mid paced, my hand feels so weak, usually when playing on the low e string.

how can i improve the strength? it's probably because out of almost a year and a half of player, i've really never tried to alt pick things >.>
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION
If you think you can tremolo pick uber fast without being able to alternate pick, you're probably doing it wrong. To improve your alt picking, just slow down to almost stopped, and practice it while not missing a single note. That's the only way you can get it right.
Practice makes perfect. Try alt-picking some stuff you already know and only downpick.
I would guess that when you're tremolo picking what you're doing is using your arm and spazzing it out to achieve this "speed". Alternate picking skill comes from a mastery of small, precise movements, preformed with consistency, strength and accuracy.

In short, take a look at the sticky.
Well, here's what you can do.
There are some hand exercisers at guitarcenter, you could buy one of those or find a hand exercise on the net that works, don't worry too much about speed man, that comes in time, just get a metronome and practice slowly...I have a growing carpal tunnel syndrome, something like that, so I exercise a lot, everyday, I have to.
Here is what my music teacher told me about his philosophy on speed(super fast I'm assuming)
Speed is like a really hot blonde chick, nice breasts, nice butt,someone you would probably want to date but then you go up and talk to her she sounds like a dummy when she talks.
Speed is not everything though as a guitarist, it is something that many of us have to have.
Hope that helped a bit, might have got the wording mixed up on that philosophy but it is something like that!
no, i can tremolo smooth and accurately without tensing, flailing my arms like a retard or any of that, and thanks yngwie i might check those out.
My gear
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Warrior WRXT *FS/FT*
Jasmine J35
Squier Fender P-Bass
Ibanez TBX150H
Crate 4x12
Fender Rumble 60

Part of UG's 7 STRING LEGION