Basically, discuss anything about past and present culture you feel needs discussion or mentioning.

What type of culture do you like best? Which would you rather live in?

This doesn't just have to be limited to culture between countries. You can talk about the developing culture of one country, things like that.

For me, I hate the emerging integration of internet culture into 'real life'. I don't mind the acronyms and memes and things staying exclusively on the internet where they can breed and have mutated bastard children. But I absolutely hate it when people say things like 'lol' out loud instead of laughing.

I'll focus exclusively on 'lol'.

First of all, it's damn patronising. If you actually found something funny, you would actually laugh about it because laughing is a natural function performed by people when they find something amusing. By saying 'lol' people are pretending to acknowledge it as funny when they really don't, making the joke teller (or whoever) feel like a piece of crap (unless they're an internet influenced douchebag as well). It's even worse than fake laughing at something.

Second of all, what boils my blood worse is when people actually have the nerve to say "hahah lol". OK. YOU HAVE LAUGHED. I GET IT. It is sure as hell not necessary, oh hell, just plain STUPID to say that you're laughing out loud, when you have just done so. It's the same as saying, "hahah hahah". ARGH.

Anyway, go!
In my country it's not frowned upon to have sex with sheep.

True story.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
In my country it's not frowned upon to have sex with sheep.

True story.

Where do I sign up?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Where do I sign up?

Just come to Wales.

RMF

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Just come to Wales.

New Zealand is also a good place.

But seriously can we please have intelligent discussion? I don't want to have to modify my original post to talking about shagging ewes.
Quote by tyler_j
Wales? I thought we was talking about sheep?

Yes.

Want me to draw you a picture? It's a common joke that Welsh people are sheep-shaggers.

RMF

What does a welshman call a sheep chained to a lampost?

A leisure centre!

/not funny joke.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Just come to Wales.

yeah i thought that was just new zealnd
Quote by wombifat
yeah i thought that was just new zealnd

The Welsh joke works better when there are British people on who know what Wales is.

RMF

*Sob* Curse you Mr. La Fritz. I should have learned a long time ago that the Pit's intelligent discussion is extremely limited.
Why do horses from New Zealand run so fast?
They've seen what they do to the sheep
Ah DAMNIT. FINE.

LET'S TALK ABOUT SHEEP SHAGGING AND OTHER FORMS OF BEASTIALITY.

Ram bollocks are massive.
In my culture, we really take our pride to heart and consider it offensive if jokes are made that are "supposed" to be funny but are outright insulting. I agree with that aspect and I don't consider racial/sexist jokes to be funny at all. Our morals are quite possibly the strongest in the world. It's hard to let go of them.
We also have a lot of pride in ourselves because we are hardworking people and it's very difficult to bring us down. That being said, I think we work too hard and need to relax a bit more. Unfortunately, it's not the way we have been brought up and it's difficult to change that part of us. You can't just change like that because we always have this drive to continuously work. The more we "try" to relax, we'll just compensate it by working twice as hard, eventually killing ourselves into exhaustion. Just let us be who we are.

True story.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
In my culture, we really take our pride to heart and consider it offensive if jokes are made that are "supposed" to be funny but are outright insulting. I agree with that aspect and I don't consider racial/sexist jokes to be funny at all. Our morals are quite possibly the strongest in the world. It's hard to let go of them.
We also have a lot of pride in ourselves because we are hardworking people and it's very difficult to bring us down. That being said, I think we work too hard and need to relax a bit more. Unfortunately, it's not the way we have been brought up and it's difficult to change that part of us. You can't just change like that because we always have this drive to continuously work. The more we "try" to relax, we'll just compensate it by working twice as hard, eventually killing ourselves into exhaustion. Just let us be who we are.

True story.

I'm guessing that you're from East Asia, like me.

I'm Japanese and the Confucianist values are still strong in the society.
I HATE the fact that older people, even if they are a year old than you, have too much power of the younger, it's annoying.
12th graders have no right to make the 11th graders to become respectful servants, it's stupidity.

Explains why I have no friends in other classes, but I keep my pride.
(Yes! Intelligence!)

I was born and grew up in Australia, so I'm really heavily influenced by "Western" culture. I find that especially the older generations of East Asians, they really adhere to their culture and are also very superstitious.

It's interesting from an outside viewpoint, but given my upbringing, it's uncomfortable for me when I have to experience it. And yes, I am Asian (Thai/Taiwanese) so I do experience it.
Quote by Chrois
(Yes! Intelligence!)

I was born and grew up in Australia, so I'm really heavily influenced by "Western" culture. I find that especially the older generations of East Asians, they really adhere to their culture and are also very superstitious.

It's interesting from an outside viewpoint, but given my upbringing, it's uncomfortable for me when I have to experience it. And yes, I am Asian (Thai/Taiwanese) so I do experience it.

That pressure you gain from your parents to perform good at school is always a nack for me.
I say lol. I don't know how it happened but it did. I don't find things so funny that I laugh anyway, so I'll just look unappreciative anyway. But I say lol when I find things funny I guess
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
Quote by radomu
I'm guessing that you're from East Asia, like me.

I'm Japanese and the Confucianist values are still strong in the society.
I HATE the fact that older people, even if they are a year old than you, have too much power of the younger, it's annoying.
12th graders have no right to make the 11th graders to become respectful servants, it's stupidity.

Explains why I have no friends in other classes, but I keep my pride.

I'm from Hong Kong so that would make me Chinese. You should respect your elders seeing as they're wiser, usually, but I'm pretty old as it is so I don't really have to respect others
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
I'm from Hong Kong so that would make me Chinese. You should respect your elders seeing as they're wiser, usually, but I'm pretty old as it is so I don't really have to respect others

I sort of disagree. Age =/= wisdom. I have immense respect for two things:
  • Education gained
  • Experiece gained

In any particular field, whether it may be which binbags to use or Quantum Chromodynamics. However, IME, I've found that whilst most older people have good education and experience, some can be inflexible and old-fashioned in CERTAIN areas. I quite agree that those who have sufficient experience deserve respect, but past a certain level, I believe questioning them should be encouraged. I think that this either shows that their advice should be taken with a pinch of salt, in the case they are proven wrong, or in the case that they are proven right, only increase respect for them further. I also see the need for obedience to be reinforced at a young age, but I believe conditional obedience should be encouraged past an age where it becomes apparent that people can make their own decisions. It is for this reason that I tend to dislike some of the "Respect your Elders" culture. Not because they tell me to respect my elders, but because they sometimes take it to extremes and assume automatically that even a small amount of seniority gives the right to automatically quash opinions that disagree with the seniors. I view this system as potentially dangerous since it encourages feedback in only one direction, and hence, respect. This should not be the case. Respect should be earned, not given, and it should be earned according to your actions, not your age.

EDIT: I missed the word "Usually" in your post