I started a band with one of my friends (a drummer) a few months ago. We then got a few more people in there.
We're supposed to be working on a song for the Christmas concert, but it really isn't coming together and now the drummer and I are thinking of quitting the band.
The reasons are as follows:
1. We're working on a song that we know that we won't get prepared for in time, but the others are adamant about doing it. If we go through with it, we'll be horrible on stage. We just don't have the time anymore. We all know our parts but it isn't coming together at all and it sounds really bad and with the lack of time, we doubt we'll get anywhere.
2. The drummer and I have no creative control over anything at all. We suggested that we work on another song that isn't really popular with the students at school. The drummer, the bass player, and I got the whole song together in less than twenty minutes on Thursday, so that's more than we'd accomplished with the other song in five or six one hour practices, but the other members tell us that we don't have time to do it. They then tell us that they have nothing against the song but when we ask them why we can't do it (we played the song through completely during practice when we weren't getting their choice of song right, which shows that we can actually play it) they tell us that it's a bad song.
3. The singer and other guitar player have a completely different opinion of why we should do this. The drummer and I decided to do it because we love jamming and we thought that this could be enjoyable, but the singer and guitar player seem to only want to do it because they want to look good in front of the school. I was talking to the singer yesterday and he told me "I'd rather do a popular song badly than do the other song well." This might seem self-centered, but I can't work with people who have that perception of music.
4. The singer and the rhythm guitarist are constantly insulting the drummer and me. Whenever the drummer went out of the room yesterday, they would start complaining about him and then they started calling me a "Negative fag" because I said that we should have a backup plan or change the song altogether because it really isn't working.

I can't work on music with people I disagree with on so many levels and the insults just top it all off. I don't feel any connection between the band members at all. It seems stale and horrible to listen to. Our ideas about music are completely different, our tastes are completely different (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it really isn't working in our case), and the constant criticism is getting to my nerves.

If the drummer and I quit, then we're all screwed. They won't have a drummer and we won't have a singer or bass player. The Christmas concert's pretty soon so we can't get anything together in time, but all the crap that's been going on is really making me want to quit.
Oh, and when the singer joined in the first place, he changed the song that we were practicing because he didn't like it. I confronted him about it yesterday and asked him why I should play a song that I really don't like when we could do something that he has claimed isn't a bad song and can get ready in time. His response was that he can change the song because "it's hard to sing and like a song that you don't like." And I asked him why I have to be put through it then, and he responded with, "Well, you're playing guitar, so nobody will be able to tell if you like it or not."

tl;dr: Me and the drummer vs. our other band members. We can't get the song together in time and we'll be horrible if we play it live. The other members have completely different opinions of music. There is no connection or anything in the band. There's constant insulting and criticism going on in the band and the singer is acting like a self-centered idiot. I can't work with these people at all so I'm thinking of quitting, but they'll hate me for it because we'll all be screwed.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Do you have to do te christmas concert? if not ten i would definately quit te band and just keep jamming with your drummer friend and having fun, thats what it needs to be about, ad you';; soon find another singer and bassist who you get along with. If you do have to do the christmas concert, i would suggest just playing this song that sounds crap, you gotta be the bigger man and just play that song and then be done with it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Okay, well, your singer is a total sellout, and you sound like a bit of a negative fag in the first part, but you should just tell the singer who joined YOUR band that if he doesn't like your decision that he should **** off and find some other stuck up prick.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by charlie__flynn
Do you have to do te christmas concert? if not ten i would definately quit te band and just keep jamming with your drummer friend and having fun, thats what it needs to be about, ad you';; soon find another singer and bassist who you get along with. If you do have to do the christmas concert, i would suggest just playing this song that sounds crap, you gotta be the bigger man and just play that song and then be done with it.

This, without the spelling mistakes

Also, if you have to play that concert, do it (like this guy says) but quit the band afterwards. Your singer sounds like a total douche.
Last edited by ZeGuitarist at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Jesstaa
Okay, well, your singer is a total sellout, and you sound like a bit of a negative fag in the first part, but you should just tell the singer who joined YOUR band that if he doesn't like your decision that he should **** off and find some other stuck up prick.

Thing is that we really don't have time to get the song together. We don't have enough practices because of circumstances that allow us to only practice at school. This means that we can't get the song together in time. So I'm trying to be realistic and look for other solutions, it's not empty complaining.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
I'd just do the song you don't want to do unless you can eventually change his mind. Just for the practice at playing live. Then i'd just leave with the drummer and start a new band.
I would do the concert regardless. Then again I love playing live.
X
I would suggest sitting down and laying all the issues out, tell them that you don't like the situation but since you guys have to perform, do it and after that, you can go your own way. Just tell them the blatant truth
Quote by Tatakai!
I'd just do the song you don't want to do unless you can eventually change his mind. Just for the practice at playing live. Then i'd just leave with the drummer and start a new band.
I would do the concert regardless. Then again I love playing live.

This.

I've played countless things I absolutely despise (such as playing the guitar for some Jonas Brothers cover some kid wanted to do for a talent show,) just for getting to be in front of people. Do it, then quit.
The problem is that I'm fine with playing something that I don't like all too much. That's not the problem. The problem is that it will just not sound good. It's sloppy and we don't have all that much time to perfect it. That's my problem with it. The others don't seem to understand that. I told the singer yesterday that we have to show the teacher what we can do by Tuesday, which means that we'll pretty much be playing it the same way we did yesterday during practice and it really didn't go very well. We have exams next week and we don't have any practices until Tuesday. He told me to keep it positive... even though we have practically no practices left and we're just not ready.

I'd have no problem with playing the song at least for the concert if we were ready. But we aren't.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
The problem is that I'm fine with playing something that I don't like all too much. That's not the problem. The problem is that it will just not sound good. It's sloppy and we don't have all that much time to perfect it. That's my problem with it. The others don't seem to understand that. I told the singer yesterday that we have to show the teacher what we can do by Tuesday, which means that we'll pretty much be playing it the same way we did yesterday during practice and it really didn't go very well. We have exams next week and we don't have any practices until Tuesday. He told me to keep it positive... even though we have practically no practices left and we're just not ready.

I'd have no problem with playing the song at least for the concert if we were ready. But we aren't.

Eh, Stop complaining here and head out with your band mates right now? Practice your part? If most of the band can get it right...it's just like a high school thing too, it's not gonna be that crazy if it ****s up. Get your band without the singer together, get your instrumentals all good. Then if the singer ****s it all up the crowd will know and it won't be a problem.