Hey guys,

A while ago I bought a second-hand ENGL Screamer 50 combo. I got it very cheap because the guy had messed around with it - he changed the tubes from 6L6s to EL34s without sorting out the biasing. I had 6L6s s put back in, had the amp properly biased and serviced.

The next stage of my getting it back to where it should be (I should add, despite the fixing I've had to do to it, it's still working out a fair bit cheaper than new, especially as he gave me the Z5 footswitch free too) is putting in a new speaker.

The guy swapped the standard Celestion Vintage 30 out for a V12-80 Silver Series. It might be a nice speaker, I don't know, but it just doesn't work with this amp - the Screamer is a very bright, fairly trebly amp, and the V12-80 which has a lot of treble, a bit of bass, and really recessed mids. The result of this is that I'm really lacking that solid mids punch, and a bit of bass too. Add this to the fact my bridge pickup is a Bareknuckle Miracle Man, which is all bass and trebs, and again less emphasis on the mids, you can see I'm really lacking mids, making riffing and palm muting thin and lacking.

What speaker would you recommend for my ENGL Screamer to add those all important mids, perhaps add a bit more bass bunch, and compensate for the natural brightness/trebs of the amp itself? Should I simply put a Celestion Vintage 30 as was intended, or is there anything that would work better?

Thanks
You could also check out the Warehouse Veteran 30 - they are Vintage 30 clones without the icepick.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
v30s are pretty middy... whether or not you like their mids is a different thing, though.

big problem is the screamer's 50 watts, so a lot of speakers won't be high enough power not to blow... that does cut down your options somewhat.

might be worth emailing eminence too, any time I've emailed them I've got some very detailed answers (though never actually bought anything from them yet ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
try a swamp thang, there pretty dark and probably can handle the 50watts thrown at it
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Thanks for the help guys - does anyone know what ohm speaker I should get?

On the back of the amp there's outputs for 1x16 ohm speaker and 2x8 ohm speakers - as the combo is a 1 speaker box, do I therefore need one 16ohm speaker?
what's the current speaker's impedance? is the speaker wired into the amp, or does it use a jack?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Eminence Man o War or an Eminence Black Powder should do you will.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's the current speaker's impedance? is the speaker wired into the amp, or does it use a jack?

Not sure - will have to check - I'm away from home for 2 weeks at the moment and I can't remember! I have a feeling it's got a jack. Should I check the ohm-age of the current speaker and use the same?
yes you should check Ohm Rating that the speaker since you may find Yourself in hole if you don't check
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by el_jimbo
Not sure - will have to check - I'm away from home for 2 weeks at the moment and I can't remember! I have a feeling it's got a jack. Should I check the ohm-age of the current speaker and use the same?

yeah, that'd be the easiest thing to do, but if it's on a jack you could use a 16 ohm speaker if you prefer (as the screamer has a 16 ohm jack/tap too i think).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, that'd be the easiest thing to do, but if it's on a jack you could use a 16 ohm speaker if you prefer (as the screamer has a 16 ohm jack/tap too i think).

Would there be any advantage to doing that? Does it sound better?
not sure, to be honest. 16 ohm uses the full tap of the transformer, but whether or not that actually sounds better could very likely be an urban myth. i'd be inclined to go for the one which would be most use if you ever try to use it in another amp/cabinet (or which is more popular if you ever end up selling it on). failing that, whichever you can get most easily, as sometimes a shop may be sold out of the one impedance, but not the other...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Celestion G12K100 sounds good for you. They sound like a V30 but with less mid-spike but still a good amount of treble and huge bass, and 100w clean power handling. The V12-80 is a downgrade from the V30 i'm pretty sure, dunno what the previous owner was doing. But yeah, G12K-100 ftw for you.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ unless the previous owner was pulling a fast one, and actually had one of the older ones which came stock with the 70/80... and the v12-80 was a cheaper upgrade than going to the v30. that might explain it. or maybe he just had one hanging around and liked it... or swapped it so he could sell the v30 separately.

i'm going with a gip, to be honest. it makes the most sense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah absolutely - I think he had the ENGL, took out the tubes and speaker to sell separately, and replaced them with the WRONG type of tubes (and didn't re-bias) and a crappy speaker.

HOWEVER, I got the amp which usually goes for around £750 in the UK, plus the footswitch which I believe is at least another £100 or more, for £575, so even with the cost of restoring it I'm quids-in!
yeah, that sounds about right. maybe he needed a little money quickly, didn't want to have to sell the amp, and figured he could replace the valves and speaker later when he had more money.

don't worry, i wasn't having a go at you, it's the seller i was complaining about... but generally if something doesn't make sense, it does if you assume the person in question is up to no good...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hehe, never thought for a minute you were having a go I realised pretty soon afterwards what the guy was up to but wasn't bothered - the price justified it I reckon!
Quote by ClementWave
Weber Blue Dog or just another vintage 30

I'd suggest the Silver Bell over the Blue Dog if his amp and guitar are already really bright.
Quote by el_jimbo
Hehe, never thought for a minute you were having a go I realised pretty soon afterwards what the guy was up to but wasn't bothered - the price justified it I reckon!

that's why when buying anything second-hand, if i even have a slight inkling that something isn't right, i chicken out- it might hit you later what was going on, and you might not be pleased!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?