Hi all. I'm looking to upgrade my gear (on a limited budget) due to gigging small pub/clubs soon.

I want to get a Pod XT Live to cover all bases (home recording/home practice with headphones/rehearsing/gigging) but wondered which type of amp is best to use to best suit the pod? Is a valve amp wasted if you're gonna put moddled fx through it? i s a neutral sounding SS better?

Band stuff heavy rock/metal covers but I play a variety at home too.

Any help/suggestions welcome.
There is not a bad amp to use this with, its all in the settings. This is a great item and you can probably get a great price on ebay now since the xt3 came out. I have had my xt live for 4-5 years now and played through a digitech gnx, boss-gt8, vox tone-lab, and the v-amp, this is by far the best to my ears and with the cpu interface it is a lot of fun.. You can just use this for its effects and it can do 11 at one time.. It you have a solid amp you like. I dont use an amp and just go direct with the amp sim and it is killer.. I always get compliments on my tone.. I do use mine for all you have listed too.. Great for recording and practice and live applications!!
you should get a power amp. it basically makes your signal loud enough to be run through a cabinet. if you can spend a lot, you could get a tube power amp add a little warmth, but if not, a crate power block is uber cheap, but its pretty good if you can find one used (its discontinued). along with a cab, this would be a great rig thats very portable. also something you might wanna check out is an amp by atomic. their designed for "giving your effects processor some balls", but their quite expensive
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Thanks for the info guys. One more thing I forgot to ask....I've got active EMGs and through my cheapy Korg AX1000G they seem to lose their liveliness ie: harmonics and squeals seem reduced and synthetic. Is this true of all multi fx units?
Quote by rivet2020
Thanks for the info guys. One more thing I forgot to ask....I've got active EMGs and through my cheapy Korg AX1000G they seem to lose their liveliness ie: harmonics and squeals seem reduced and synthetic. Is this true of all multi fx units?

I notice this a little with my Floor Pod plus, then again I have passive pups.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
I don't care for the POD that much through SS. using my VJ seems to give it alot more life, but I can't really recommend the VJ for gigging and frankly I'm looking for the same thing you are. I just know it's not going to be SS.
I'm considering a Peavey Delta Blues or the atomic. The Peavey has a great tone on it's own I just haven't had the chance to plug a POD into one.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Last edited by Exo M7 at Nov 29, 2008,
Have you got one? I can't find one to try anywhere. It's really why i'm leaning towards the peavey. I don't mind buying blind on some things, but a $500 power section isn't one of them.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by hot4teacher
roland jazz chorus?

+1 best cleans ever
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Exo M7

This is exactly what I was trying to ask. I couldn't see the point in buying a decent valve amp only to bleed over it with digital sound. Surely each would dilute the others sound. The Atomic sounds perfect. Thanks alot for all the replies.