You know the new line from Gibson, the robot guitars?
Apparently, strumming the strings will get them tuned up automatically.

What do you think of this system?

I think it's rediculous.
Guitarists have been playing the instruments, tuning them accurately for the last 500 years, why need this system now?
It's actually very insulting, considering that they are precieving that even minor guitarists need support in tuning.
If it becomes popular, it's a friggin disaster.
I think it's a lot better for your ear to learn how to tune properly and also, what's the point of it? So you can save a good 20 seconds retuning your guitar?
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
I think it's a lot better for your ear to learn how to tune properly and also, what's the point of it? So you can save a good 20 seconds retuning your guitar?

exactly, no one needs a self tuning system
With all the inexpensive tuners out there and most of us being able to tune by ear it's an over priced toy and I have played several IMHO they are just that toys for the rich. I would rather buy a regular LP for less.
Quote by johnro6659
With all the inexpensive tuners out there and most of us being able to tune by ear it's an over priced toy and I have played several IMHO they are just that toys for the rich. I would rather buy a regular LP for less.

+1.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
You know what, with all the electric utility, it can be obselite compared to the les paul standars
i like the idea.. consider yourself on stage and you've played a song and now you need to change tuning for the next.. just pull it out strum some strings.. saves the worry of cocking it up by ear as there is an audience and you cant hear much and it saves them listening to you tuning your guitar and keep checking if its right..
:::Gear:::

Ibanez JS100
Marshall MGDFX Halfstack
Roland Cube 30
Line6 X3 Live
Aria Acoustic (idk what make)
Right, it's not meant to be for a bedroom guitarist. It's meant for the guitarist who's touring and uses a lot of tunings. Surely, if you were given the choice of pushing a button, and your guitar would tune itself, you'd go for it.

It's not like every new guitarist is gonna get one and never learns how to tune a guitar. Of course everyone knows how to tune a guitar, Gibson just want to make it convenient for musicans that gig, so that they don't have to drag 3 or 4 guitars with them to a gig.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The concept does seem like a good idea but with all that electronics there are bound to be problems in the future with these guitars most guitar tech would never be able to fix and to tell you the truth they sound like crap I wouldn't get on stage with one. Most guitarists at least have a back up guitar and if they change tuning most of us have a tuner either built into an amp, rack or one on our pedal boards so no one hears you fix your tuning. Have you tried one of these when you tune it all you hear is the sound of the motors it reminds me of the sound effects from The Terminator! LOL

Myabe next year Gibson will make a guitar play by itself like a player piano just pop in a SD Card and it plays itself! LOL
=]
:::Gear:::

Ibanez JS100
Marshall MGDFX Halfstack
Roland Cube 30
Line6 X3 Live
Aria Acoustic (idk what make)
Quote by johnro6659
The concept does seem like a good idea but with all that electronics there are bound to be problems in the future with these guitars most guitar tech would never be able to fix and to tell you the truth they sound like crap I wouldn't get on stage with one. Most guitarists at least have a back up guitar and if they change tuning most of us have a tuner either built into an amp, rack or one on our pedal boards so no one hears you fix your tuning. Have you tried one of these when you tune it all you hear is the sound of the motors it reminds me of the sound effects from The Terminator! LOL

Myabe next year Gibson will make a guitar play by itself like a player piano just pop in a SD Card and it plays itself! LOL

that's fun...
Quote by -Blue-
As said before, this isn't intended for bedroom guitarists, it's for those who play on stage and have songs in different tunings. I still wonder how the truss rod doesn't get screwed over in those things, though...

It sets itself up, which is pretty cool I think
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The truss rod adjusts itself, too? Hooboy. I need to upgrade the CPU in my guitar, it only tunes the E-string. :P
Quote by Arzei
The truss rod adjusts itself, too? Hooboy. I need to upgrade the CPU in my guitar, it only tunes the E-string. :P

Yup. It's cool really. Saves a lot of time.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
People whine on and on about this, i use an electronic tuner and tbh i dont see the difference between me doing that and the robot guitar, except im slower at doing it.

Its not for bedroom use, its for gigging so you can use the same guitar for songs with different tunings without either a few minutes of tuning it looking like an arse or having multiple guitars.

Its not playing the guitar for you, so why the endless whining?
You dont have to buy it, and its not reducing your choice, if you want a non-robot theres plenty of LPs to choose from, and other manufacturers as well
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Lil Macker
It sets itself up, which is pretty cool I think

Well unless this is a feature in a new model that is not listed on Gibson's web site. this thing does not adjust the truss rod.
Sin City...you rant about peavey in your sig, and flat out say 'Dont buy Peavey!', and then follow with Valveking for sale. Way to talk up the product, great advertising!
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by Sin City Sid
Well unless this is a feature in a new model that is not listed on Gibson's web site. this thing does not adjust the truss rod.

I read it a magazine that it did

Oh well.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
radomu, have you been living under a rock for the last year, with your eyes closed, and your fingers in your ears?

the robot guitar is by no means a new thing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by srvflood

i agree, ive been too reliant on using tuners since i started playing and im just getting to where i can tune in standard by ear. I realize the importance of knowing how to tune by ear now, what would happen if the self tuner broke and not many people knew how to tune anymore? You'd be screwed.

not to mention that robot guitars are rip offs. Instead of buying the les paul robot, you should just get a standard.

they use the studios for the robot guitars, so your really paying over 2000 dollars for a 1200 dollar guitar with an added gimmick
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Blompcube
radomu, have you been living under a rock for the last year, with your eyes closed, and your fingers in your ears?

the robot guitar is by no means a new thing.

Well, not literally, but I didn't even know how a guitar worked five months ago, if that gives you any ideas.