I've been working on this song on-and-off for ages now, and I reckon it's finally at a point where it's close enough to finished for me to get some good feedback. I'm not really happy with the vocals or solo at the moment, so I'll almost certainly re-record them at a later date.

It's a very nice song it creates an atmosphere, personally i think the vocals are fine you have a very good voice, plus the solo suits the the song it's not to much maybe a little bit long though. I like that effect on the guitar when you sing 'falling'. Overall a very nice song. No major criticisms really.

Did you program the drums or are they a live recording?
Thanks.

Yeah the drums are programmed, I guess the fact that you asked means that they can't have been too bad.
Quote by Wokky
Thanks.

Yeah the drums are programmed, I guess the fact that you asked means that they can't have been too bad.

They sound very real what did you use?
Thanks Sheppola, yeah I'm working on tidying it up a bit now. I don't really have any mixing experience, so I've been trying to read up on it, if you've got any specific suggestions in that area I'd appreciate it.

Quote by crazymac
They sound very real what did you use?

They were initially written out in Guitar Pro, then exported to MIDI format and taken into Reaper. There I used some instances of the ReaSamplomatic FX plugin to trigger drum sounds from a pack I downloaded. Not the most elegant of methods, but I guess it works.
Quote by Wokky
Thanks Sheppola, yeah I'm working on tidying it up a bit now. I don't really have any mixing experience, so I've been trying to read up on it, if you've got any specific suggestions in that area I'd appreciate it.

They were initially written out in Guitar Pro, then exported to MIDI format and taken into Reaper. There I used some instances of the ReaSamplomatic FX plugin to trigger drum sounds from a pack I downloaded. Not the most elegant of methods, but I guess it works.

I'm on the Reaper forum all the time as it's the DAW of my choice.The forum is packed with good posters and advice on recording,video tutorials and great,"Stickies" on all parts of recording with tricks and techniques to get a better mix/sound

http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Also this is a great reference page I still refer to,

http://www.tweakheadz.com/setting_up_your_audio_card.htm
After spending some time working on the mixing of this, I think I've improved the sound quality considerably. Still far from perfect, but it's definitely less muddy now.

Have a listen!

i really enjoyed the guitar work. the slide guitar with overdrive was really cool. i though there a little too much reverb overall. this reminds me of REM. your vocals go a bit off key at points, but it's over all an excellent song.
Too cool for a signature.
Quote by Wokky

Would you mind giving a much more in depth explanation of how you got the drum track in there? I have been trying to find out how to make GP5 drum tracks sound good for ages.

Your song, by the way, was phenomenal. I hope I'll write that good some day.
Quote by peacemaker898
Would you mind giving a much more in depth explanation of how you got the drum track in there? I have been trying to find out how to make GP5 drum tracks sound good for ages.

Assuming you're a Reaper use, have a look at ReaDrums here. All you need is to find drum samples to assign to the FX instances in there, and then just drag the MIDI file you exported from GP into the track. You'll need to adjust either the notes in the MIDI item, or the note start/end values in the FX to match up to the GP drums.

Thanks for the positive comments everybody, it's always lovely to see. Feeds my gigantic ego nicely! Synth, once I'm happy enough with it to call it finished, I'll allow downloads for it, so you'll be able to listen to it to your heart's content.
I got this far, but don't know how to make the notes match:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa92/peacemaker898/Untitled-4.jpg

But don't know what to do afterwards.

Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread, I don't mean to and will make another if you want.

EDIT: Okay, I found out how to make them match, but I'm not getting any sound when I play it. Here's a picture:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa92/peacemaker898/Untitled-5.jpg

EDIT: Okay, I think I got it now! You had to browse to a sound for it. Everything's working beautifully now, except my cymbals sound kind of weird in repetition. :/
Last edited by peacemaker898 at Dec 8, 2008,