I want to get another bass, but it will be a while so im going to start looking now...so what kind of bass should i get? I play mostly metal. I was thinking some kind of spector or a warwick. I want to spend around $1000-$1500. Any suggestions?
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Warwick and Spector would be solid choices.I would also look at some Musicman's, high end Ibanez's and some MIA Fenders.
Spector is probably the most metal sounding brand of bass you'll run into.
^ Spector's tone isn't really that unique...

I hate these types of threads, mainly because people will simply tell you their favorite brand of bass. The best option, by far, is to go to as many music stores as you can, and try everything you can get your hands on. I know that's tough to do in Nebraska (I'm in AR, I feel ya man), but it really is the best option.

Failing that, try to find soundclips of different brands, and ask around about the feel of ones you are interested in. Talkbass.com is a good resource for doing that. This is important, because you could end up with a bass that you absolutely hate the feel of. Warwick, for example, is notorious for having large, weirdly shaped baseball-bat necks. The contour of the last one I played was almost trapezoidal. It wasn't bad at all for me, but I can see it being a real turn-off for others.

edit: Answer these, K?

What types of tones do you like? Name some bands?
What type of neck do you like?
How many strings?
Do you prefer active or passive?

Any bass will work for metal, really...it's not tone-specific at all. You just have to find one you like.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 29, 2008,
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ Spector's tone isn't really that unique...

I hate these types of threads, mainly because people will simply tell you their favorite brand of bass. The best option, by far, is to go to as many music stores as you can, and try everything you can get your hands on. I know that's tough to do in Nebraska (I'm in AR, I feel ya man), but it really is the best option.

Failing that, try to find soundclips of different brands, and ask around about the feel of ones you are interested in. Talkbass.com is a good resource for doing that. This is important, because you could end up with a bass that you absolutely hate the feel of. Warwick, for example, is notorious for having large, weirdly shaped baseball-bat necks. The contour of the last one I played was almost trapezoidal. It wasn't bad at all for me, but I can see it being a real turn-off for others.

edit: Answer these, K?

What types of tones do you like? Name some bands?
What type of neck do you like?
How many strings?
Do you prefer active or passive?

Any bass will work for metal, really...it's not tone-specific at all. You just have to find one you like.

The answer to the first question is bands like cannibal corpse, lamb of god...etc.
2. i dont mind the neck type. just as long as it has good upper fret acess
3. 4 or 5 strings. I havent made my mind up on it. I want to see whats available
4. I dont mind if the pups are active or passive as long as i get that heavy metal tone like i want.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

do you want gut wrenching lows, or do you want aggressive high distorted sounds?

do you care if it looks pretty?

who are your favorite bassists?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I want it to be good looking...i kind of have a natural finish fetish lol. I want it to have very good lows. I want it to just ****ing growl :P. and i want 24 frets

Quote by GuitarHero0715

would the plexi-glass bass by ampeg be any good? i think it looks ****ing bitchin'.

Quote by GuitarHero0715

Quote by Chunky_Lover
would the plexi-glass bass by ampeg be any good? i think it looks ****ing bitchin'.

heavy as hell, probably. never played one though.

I would suggest a Jazz 24.

then, upgrade the pickups, I'd want Bartolini, but for metal EMG would be just as bitchin' . it'd be awesome.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
EMGs for growl? I thought that was more a DiMarzio thing....

Natural, growly, good upper fret access....sounds like you're describing a Warwick or Spector to me...you were spot on in the OP. There are a few more options in that range, though. Peavey, MTD, Ibanez, Zon, ESP, and maybe even Lakland have basses that you might like...and that's just looking at Musician's Friend. link There are plenty more companies around...Fernandes and Sadowsky come to mind.
Nope, no sig here.